PDA

View Full Version : spit up.....gallons of it !!!!!

Xariklia
10-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Does this sound normal to you ladies out there? my 3 mo old dd is exclusively breastfeeding and spits up ALL THE TIME!!! I don't know why I bother putting clothes on her. right after a feeding, she spits up, a lot... and more than once, it's like 8 times in a row. sometimes she spits up while she is on the breast and it gets all over the place. she is not in any pain when this happens, and she is gaining weight and filling her diapers. I know it;s mostly saliva and mucus but it just doesn't seem right. has anyone experienced this? i thought breast fed babies spit up less. could she be allergic to something? our whole house is bathed in spit up. Am I doing something wrong? I would appreciate any input. thanks.

KimberleyDawn
10-02-2003, 02:41 PM
Sorry no real advice here but I just wanted to let you know that William WAS AND STILL IS a big spitter but has never spit up during a feeding. How many oz. would you guess she has had when she is spitting up during the feeding? Could she maybe be gulping too much too fast? Have you spoken to the dr. about this even though she's not in any distress or discomfort?
Kim

heidi_timms
10-02-2003, 10:10 PM
My DD started this right at 3 months as well. She doesn't spit up as much while feeding, but she usually spits up when I burp her and up to hours after eating! It gets on our bed, the floor, our clothes, whereever! I know how frustrating it is!

I have found a few ways to reduce some of it though.

1. I usually burp her halfway through a nursing session to get some air out. She usually cries, but I walk around with her and she stops so I can get some air out before eating more.

2. The ped recommended putting her in her bouncy seat for 15-20 minutes to let some of the milk digest before moving on to other activities. Also, I sometimes prop her up on the Boppy after eating if I'm not in the same room as the bouncy seat.

3. I try not to carry her where I'm squeezing or pushing her stomach at all, otherwise "splat", there's usually a mess on our hardwood floors!

Good Luck!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

lizajane
10-03-2003, 11:15 AM
we have a spitter, too, so i feel your pain!

perhaps she is eating too much. ds threw up (not spit up, THREW UP) once or twice until i realized he was eating too much. he still spits up a little, but not every time anymore. try feeding one side and then waiting?

edited to add: you may just be "blessed" with a very fast let down that is sometimes choking her a little.

deenass
10-03-2003, 06:41 PM
My son spit up EVERY time he ate (and every time we walked down the stairs ... I learned to hold him facing forward instead of facing me!) I never left the house without a bib on him and two in the diaper bag. Luckily, we have hardwood floors and a dog! My ped called him a "happy puker." I sometimes wondered if it was because I fed him when he wasn't really hungry (but he's a good little nurser and was always happy to nurse).

It has REALLY slowed down now that he's sitting up.