PDA

View Full Version : What do you mix your cereal with? or avocados? if you are pumping?

peanut4us
10-03-2003, 10:52 AM
This might sound terrible, but every drop of ebm that I pump at work is liquid gold, and I want (need) Sara to be able to drink it. So I am loathe to have it used in hre cereal or to liquify some of her solids. Lately, I've been putting pear sauce and pear juice in her cereal (she has serious constipation issues and this helps a bit), but I don't know what to mash with an avocado. Water?

Also, when you all say that you freeze solids in ice cube trays, these are small cubes, right? Where did you get the trays? How do you thaw? Do you have large freezers?

kaitlinsmommy
10-03-2003, 11:00 AM
I added EBM to cereal and avacados the first couple times but then used water, when necessary. At 6 months, dd didn't really need avacados liquified at all. And I don't give her plain cereal, I just mix it in with whatever mashed fruit or veggies she's getting.

I freeze pureed food in a regular ice cube tray I got at Target and the cubes are rather small. Once they're frozen, I put them in a ziplock freezer bag and label it. I thaw mine in the microwave on defrost (2-3 cubes for one meal).

lizajane
10-03-2003, 11:10 AM
just use water! it is fine. i put a little water in my avacaodo's today.

any ol' ice cube tray works fine. got mine at k-mart. and i do the same- freeze 'em, then pop 'em into a ziploc. super easy!

nitaghei
10-03-2003, 11:30 AM
You can use water to thin out the avocados, if you need to. Or formula, if you prefer. I was using formula, because I felt DS could use the extra calories. The bonus from using water, if you use tap water, is that your baby gets floride. DS's ped said if he was getting 2 oz of city water daily, he didn't need floride drops.

I actually bought the freezer cubes from One Step Ahead, because I could just pop a couple in the bag to take to daycare. The size of these cubes is about the same as a standard size ice-cube tray. I usually have about 15-20 cubes frozen at a time - 2 trays worth, maximum. It actually doesn't take up a lot of space in the freezer. Which is a good thing, because ours isn't particularly large. BTW - this is enough to get me through a week - so I prepare DS's veggies just once a week on Sunday.

Edited to add: DS is exclusively BF'd. I just used an oz of formula a day to thin out his cereal initially. Now I use water, if I need to.

HTH

Nita

chrissyhowie
10-03-2003, 12:46 PM
I don't thin the avocados with anything. I just mash it up and feed it like that. When I do thin some of her foods, I just add a little water. We have hot water readily available all the time so usually I use that because it thins and warms the food at the same time.

I use regular ice cube trays to freeze food blocks and put them into freezer ziplock bags to store like Kim (kaitlinsmommy). I don't have a big freezer so the ziplock bags make it easy and relatively compact to store lots of cubes.

I've learned that not all ice cube trays are created equal! The ones that I have that work best came from KMart. They are the "Martha Stewart" ice cube trays since they were the only ones I could find there (and they aren't any more expensive than trays from other stores). The cubes pop out much more easily from those because when you twist the tray to loosen the cubes, the whole tray twists unlike a lot of other ones where the cubes in the middle tend not to loosen. (Can you tell that I've been making a lot of food cubes recently :D LOL?!)

HTH,

suz
10-04-2003, 12:40 AM
You can try these little food cubes. I haven't used them yet since I just started DD on solids.

http://www.fjroberts.com/babycubes/babycubes.htm