PDA

View Full Version : Any harm in a lick of ice cream?

luvmypeanut
10-04-2003, 10:49 AM
DH told me that he was eating ice cream and DD gave him a what's-that-you're-eating-and-can-I-have-some look so he tapped a little bit on her tongue. She's only 5 1/2 months old and I told him he shouldn't do it again, but a few days later she developed diarrhea. I haven't introduced any new foods and otherwise she's happy and normal. Someone told me some kids are passing around some kind of bug but we don't really have contact with any other kids. So I'm thinking, could her problems be related to that tiny bit of ice cream? She's on soy formula because the ped thought it would help the constipation and gas, plus my father is lactose intolerant. We have an appointment on Monday but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
10-04-2003, 10:55 AM
It could be related, but I would expect the diarrhea to show up much sooner than that. DH is lactose intolerant, and he gets a reaction within 24 hours. Maybe it is different in babies, though.

nathansmom
10-04-2003, 10:15 PM
My dh sneaks Nathan ice cream at least twice a week. I haven't notice diarrhea on days that he gets it or the following days. I'm guessing that she may have a bug but check with you doctor.

I find it interesting that your doctor told you to try soy formula for constipation. Nathan gets really constipated when on soy and we use soy when he has diarrhea.

C99
10-05-2003, 03:30 PM
Nate had ice cream (actually, frozen custard) in the same age range and he was fine. I figure that tiny bits of most things won't hurt him, but I'm not an expert on baby nutrition or a pediatrician.

luvmypeanut
10-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Thanks for your replies. We have an appt today with the ped and I've ordered a few bottles of Pedialyte ($9/litre!) to have on hand. Hopefully, it's just a little bug and will pass soon.