PDA

View Full Version : Anybody not start w/cereal (for solids)?

puglucy
10-05-2003, 01:33 PM
If so, what did you start with? Am looking for, preferably, a vegetable . . .

Lucy
mama to Alex 3/18/03

egoldber
10-05-2003, 02:38 PM
Avocado is a terrific first food that lots of babies like.

nathansmom
10-05-2003, 02:38 PM
I started with avocado. Nathan has always liked the taste of avocado. The second food I gave him was pears. I actually started him on more fruits then veggies. Seems like he prefers veggies to fruits most days. He never has been a fan of cereal. I can usually get one spoonful in his mouth of cereal and thats it for solids for the day.

C99
10-05-2003, 03:29 PM
Nate wouldn't touch the oatmeal, so I really got him to eat and enjoy eating with bananas mixed with EBM.

luvmypeanut
10-05-2003, 04:46 PM
Nathalie wouldn't touch the rice cereal if it was presented alone so I mixed it in with her bottle. She loves the Earth's Best Sweet Potatoes but hates the Gerber version. Bananas and peas also get thumbs up. We're going to try avocados next.

Marisa6826
10-05-2003, 04:57 PM
The very first thing Sophie would eat was apple sauce! Good old plain Mott's apple sauce.

Her other favourites are Earth's Best sweet potatoes, carrots, bananas and pears.

We're now onto "people food" and she'll eat pretty much anything I give her. She LOVES the squash from Boston Market, and also their mashed potatoes.

I made chicken soup the other night, she scarfed down the cooked baby carrots (I broke them into small lumps), with little tiny bites of the chicken and some pastina.

I have frozen avocados from Trader Joe's that I keep forgetting to give her. I think they're already cubed and good to go. Yo Baby yogurt and plain pieces of pasta are other good "first foods". You might want to try little pieces of pita bread. She also really digs turkey from my sandwiches for some reason, along with chicken and apple sausage.

We never actually did the cereal route after two attempts. It just reminded me too much of wallpaper paste :P

-m

Momof3Labs
10-05-2003, 06:12 PM
We started with oatmeal, then moved to squash. Squash and sweet potatoes are both good, sweet veggies. It really doesn't matter too much what you start with - pick whatever sounds good to you!

luvbeinmama
10-05-2003, 08:05 PM
I started with the green veggies (green beans, peas) and moved on to the squash, sweet potato, etc. No need to start with the cereals.

annex
10-05-2003, 11:31 PM
The first non-cereal I tried with my 6 month-old, on Dr. Sears advice, was a mashed over-ripe banana mixed with breastmilk. That wasn't a success - while she would eat it, the resulting stools indicated to me that her digestive system wasn't ready to handle it. I just started her on Earth Best's sweet potatoes, and that is proving to be a better beginner food as it hasn't wrecked any digestive havoc.