PDA

View Full Version : DD likes cereal but her body doesn't...

hellokitty1
10-06-2003, 06:32 PM
We started DD on Gerber rice cereal the weekend before last and due to her inconsistent schedule, we've only been able to feed it to her a few times since then. It appears that she is more gassy with cereal and actually wakes up at night when she has had a serving that day. So, even though she appears to enjoy eating it, DH and I are thinking her body doesn't. I've seen posts here that just say to skip cereal. But what about the iron? DD is BF so she needs iron from the cereal or so I've been told. Before moving to veggies, should I try oatmeal? Or barley? And if/when I start veggies, is there a recommended order, i.e veggies before fruits so your baby doesn't get a strong preference for sweets?...or green before yellow???

What do you all recommend if cereal does not sit well with your baby?
TIA.

Momof3Labs
10-06-2003, 06:59 PM
You could try oatmeal now. If it doesn't sit well with her, I'd wait a few weeks and try again. Eventually she'll be able to handle it; her digestive system just isn't quite ready yet.

As for order of veggies, everyone will give you something slightly different and none of them are right or wrong because there is no right answer! There are lots of theories (like the preference for sweets thing) but not much is proven. We started with yellow veggies - squash then sweet potatoes, then went to green veggies. Colin hated the green veggies in a jar, and after I tasted them, I could understand why! He does fine with frozen, cooked green veggies though.