PDA

View Full Version : So--what are the early signs of Mastitis? Maybe TMI

peanut4us
10-07-2003, 03:27 PM
I'm probably just giving myself another thing to worry over. But pumping today, I noticed that my supply seems to be screwed up, but only in one breast. That same one is a little hard and warm in a couple of spots and no amount of pumping/massaging seemed to help that out. So I'm thinking plugged duct. Anything I can do for that besides Sara nursing and then a warm shower and some hand expression/massage?

I know that plugged ducts are the precursors to mastitis, but are there any other symptoms? What can I do to prevent it? If I get it, do you have to go to the doctor? Would that be my family practice or ob/gyn?

Momof3Labs
10-07-2003, 04:28 PM
When I got mastitis (6 times - ugh), I would first notice tenderness in a small area of my breast, though not necessarily a lump. My nipple was sore when nursing, throughout the entire nursing. And after a day or less, the tender area would start getting red. Sometimes I felt very warm and achey and could barely climb out of bed, other times I did not get these symptoms.

I had plugged ducts several times earlier in my nursing career, but they never led to mastitis. I was able to clear them fairly quickly with some good massaging while nursing.

Definitely massage and use warm compresses (I had a little microwave pack that was wonderful), and nurse as much as possible (use warm compresses and then nurse). Point her nose or chin towards the lumpy area. Drink plenty of water, and get plenty of rest.

The other possibility is thrush, but I haven't had that (knock on wood).

Here's more info on all three:

Mastitis and plugged ducts:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/recurrent-mastitis.html

Thrush:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush-resources.html

For antibiotics, I went to my OB, but I found that even there, knowledge was lacking. So I double-checked everything they told me and gave me with a lactation consultant, or online.

BTW - I finally kicked the recurrent mastitis by going on long-term, low-dose antibiotics. So far, I'm almost 4 weeks mastitis-free! And that's after battling it 6 times in about 3 months!

Rachels
10-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Try taking lecithin, 1200 mg 3x / day. It will help heal the current plugged ducts and prevent new ones. It really does work. Meanwhile, nurse as often as possible on the affected side and try massaging from behind the lump while you nurse. If you take lecithin today, you'll be seeing improvement by tomorrow.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

houseof3boys
10-07-2003, 06:55 PM
I take lecithin just to be on the safe side and be proactive so you might want to start doing that Joey. It doesn't sound like thrush either. I would nurse on that side as much as you can and see if that helps.

Lori I am soooo happy to hear that you have battled it out with mastitis and you are winning!

emmasmama
10-07-2003, 07:21 PM
Well, this might sound weird, but when I had a plugged duct I actually filled a mixing bowl with hot water (as warm as I could stand) and leaned over the counter and dunked my whole boob in there and let it soak for like 5 mins a few times a day. That combined with massaging while pumping did the trick in a matter of a couple of days (maybe you could also try massaging while nursing if you can manage it?). My lactation consultant suggested it and I thought it was kind of weird but it really works. Kind of a cross between the hot shower and warm compress concept ;)

lizajane
10-07-2003, 08:49 PM
i knew that i had mastitis (both times) because i had TERRIBLE aches! i felt like i got run over by a truck. SO lethargic and everything hurt all over. i didn't notice the plugged duct because i was engorged both times (ds slept a longer stretch at night) so i couldn't take any preventative measures. but when i knew i had it, i saw my OB (i got a prescription over the phone from out of town the first time- my mom recognized the symptoms... thank goodness she bf when no one else did!) and i nursed as much as i could. and rest, rest, rest, rest, rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nitaghei
10-08-2003, 08:43 AM
Pressure massage and warm compresses should help with the plugged duct, with as much nursing as possible. I found that the plug went away in less that 48 hours, and I didn't get mastitis. But I sat there for 2 evenings when DS was asleep with the compresses and applied pressure for several hours, on and off.

Hope you feel better soon!

Nita

momma_boo
10-08-2003, 09:03 AM
Hi Joey,

I hope you are doing better. Everyone's already given great information/advice but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I had mastitis once -- for a few days beforehand, my nipple on the affected side was very sore. It would hurt when nursing and whenever I held the baby against that side. Not realizing what it was, I thought I had been holding DD on that side too much and rubbing against my nipple. Well, I started to get really achey (like the flu), got chills and was really really tired (which wasn't so remarkable b/c DD was 6 weeks old at the time). It was the weekend, so I called my OB and the doc prescribed some antibiotics for me, which made me feel better pretty quickly.

A suggestion for putting heat on your breast -- Gerber makes this heating pad shaped like a doughnut. You microwave it and it's thin enough to wear under a bra or tight-fitting top. I found these to be an easy way to apply heat (I went through a period of getting a lot of clogged ducts when I went back to work... Perhaps b/c of all the pumping.)

I've been taking lecithin also. (I admit, that I never remember to take one three times a day. I usually manage to take one a day and that seems to be enough to help me). HTH!

calebsmama03
10-09-2003, 10:20 AM
YES!! Glad to know I'm not the only lady doing this! :) It worked great, too, but it does feel very weird while doing it!.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03