PDA

View Full Version : How much is normal?

new2bmommy
10-08-2003, 09:12 PM
I recently started to express milk, and it seems like I hardly get any out. Christian is now 6 weeks old, will I be able to express more as he grows? Any help would be appreciated.

Sandy
Mom of Christian 8/25/03

deborah_r
10-08-2003, 10:04 PM
I'm typing one-handed while pumping, so I apologize if any typos....

I think your supply has probably now regulated itself to approximately what your son needs. I think if you are trying to add in pumping sessions, just keep trying at the same times each day and that should strart to tell your body to make more at that time.

This is all assuming you are using your pump correctly...do you feel the suction? Do you think you had any letdowns while pumping? You might want to tell us more about what kind of pump you are using.

Around that age, I would get about 4 oz. in a good pumping session, but everyone is different. Now I get about 6-7 oz, because he takes more now.

HTH

alkagift
10-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Don't worry! I found that my ability to pump increased substantially as I went along--perhaps it is due to your child's actual intake, perhaps it's getting used to the pump, I don't know. I do know that the first time I pumped for 15 minutes I got less than 3 ounces. Now, part of that was because I had the machine on it's lowest speed and suction settings--I couldn't get much more than that NOW on those settings. However, it's a good place to start since the pump is not as effective or as gentle as your baby. Once you're comfortable, you can gradually increase the settings. I was advised by a lovely person on this board to start at a high speed, low suction until you get letdown, then turn the speed down and the suction up. I can't go more than halfway on my PIS before it starts to be uncomfortable, but I know some women can crank the suction all the way up.

If you're planning to go back to work, add a morning or an evening pump session in (perhaps immediately after a feeding, which is what I do) at least a couple of weeks before you return. That way your body will adjust before you need it, and you can build your stash.

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

new2bmommy
10-09-2003, 11:13 PM
The pump I am using is from "The First Years" and it has manual cycling. I wanted to get a better pump, but I don't have much to choose from at the stores near me. I lost the papers with the exact name of the pump, sorry I can't tell you more. The most I have been able to express so far is an oz and a half. That is out of both breasts, and in combination with hand expression. I can definetly feel the suction, and can only get myself to letdown sometimes.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-10-2003, 01:21 AM
Most stores carry the Avent Isis. It's a manual pump, but it will be better than the one you have.

If you are going to be pumping for going back to work, you should consider a better pump like an Ameda Purely Yours or a Medela Pump In Style.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03