PDA

View Full Version : What to bring to hospital - both me & baby

scubagear
10-11-2003, 08:00 PM
Hi everybody! I'm starting to pack my bags for the hospital (baby due in 3 weeks) and was wondering what most of you packed and actually used!

For myself I have pjs, socks, underwear and chapstick. For baby I have 2 outfits, 2 pairs of socks, 2 hats, bunting outfit, burp cloth and quilt from grandma.

Anything else that is essential?

Thanks for responding!

bnme
10-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Next time I got I will bring a towel (hospital ones are usually thin and small). Also, don't forget slippers, a robe (I guess depending on your PJs), and a comfy outfit to go home in!

etwahl
10-11-2003, 08:17 PM
honestly, the thing i liked most (nothing else seemed to matter considering the pain i was in) was MUSIC. i had some really great "mood" mix cds (like Pure Moods, etc.) and that was amazing. if you are interested let me know and i can look up the names of the others. we played various cd's the entire time. it helped for a lot of reasons - calming, soothing for me (i'm a big music person), helped me to relax and focus, and also just made for a nice environment. my mid-wife said "ooh, what nice music to be born to!" she thought we had such a great set-up (of course there was me, my two best girlfriends, my doula who was awesome, a GREAT, GREAT nurse, and her)...an all-female delivery, including lauren :)

also, find out about popsicles. that was the only thing i was allowed and i could have scarfed them down like nobody's business, but they had run out and only had two left at the hospital, in flavors that weren't the greatest (one was banana) but i didn't care. the cold was great, and just to have something in my mouth was wonderful, because i had been barfing my guts out for hours and hours.

also, since my dh wasn't there, my friend videotaped it, and honestly, it was the best thing in the world. the videotape is amazing and makes me cry. evan thought it amazing. it's something i'm so glad i had done.

if you have a best friend (or if you have a doula) i highly recommend. there's nothing like the support of an amazing woman let me tell you. i had such a great support in there, that they made it bearable not having dh there. they were like a tag-team...massaging me, brushing my hair and putting it out of my face, getting me ice chips and feeding them to me, rubbing my hands, massaging my feet (which helps with the edema).

good luck :)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

jayhjay
10-11-2003, 08:32 PM
My number 1 recommendation is your own pillow! I brought one with me and it was so nice. It was so nice to labor with something that was comfy rather than those hospital pillows. They even let me use it when they took me in for surgery with my c-section! And then I had it on my bed during the stay.

As far as the baby, I found they kept her in the hospital blankets/shirts the whole time I was there. The only time I dressed her was when I left. So you probably don't need to bother with multiple outfits since you aren't likely to actually get him/her dressed while you are there.

Oh, and don't forget other toiletries. It is sometimes nice to have your own shampoo, soap, hair brush, etc.

Momof3Labs
10-11-2003, 10:26 PM
Definitely toiletries for yourself. Don't forget a toothbrush and toothpaste! Bring some for DH, too. A change of clothes for DH (or just something comfy) is a nice idea, too.

When you pack your going home outfit, consider that you might be just as big as when you went in. I was, because I received so much IV fluid. Bring something that is forgiving. Also consider that you might have a c-section scar and might not want anything touching your lower abdomen. Your feet may be swollen, too, so bring loose shoes or just plan to go home in your slippers.

A few of your own pillows is essential. Don't bring PJs or socks that you care too much about - they may get yucky.

I packed a few magazines but didn't touch them. It is a good idea to throw in a pen, though - they want you to do lots of signing and note-taking (poops and pees, nursings, etc) while you are there!

stillplayswithbarbies
10-11-2003, 11:42 PM
don't forget a camera to take pictures.

You won't need underwear, you'll want to wear the disposable underwear they give you.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

sadie427
10-12-2003, 06:59 PM
--I was actually happy to have a small pack of baby wipes, because the hospital didn't provide them, just disposable cloths and water, which didn't really work for the sticky first poops.
--You'll want at least one nursing bra if you're nursing; I was happy to have brought two as I was sweating all over from these hormonal night sweats I got, and I was there three nights for an emergency C-section.
--A sweatshirt and warm socks for you and your husband/partner/coach, as hospitals are often too cold/too warm.
--A camera, if you have one!
--If your husband/partner/coach is staying with you, he may want pj's or sweats, even if he doesn't sleep in them normally, as you will have doctors/nurses coming in the room at all hours. He'll also want snacks for during labor so he doesn't have to leave you, and cash for his meals later, again if he's staying with you
--If you're breastfeeding and have a boppy or other nursing pillow, that's helpful too. It's big to lug around, but it made me a lot more comfortable.

todzwife
10-12-2003, 08:01 PM
I just did this on Wed. I actually only receive 2 pairs of hospital panties (hospital only allowed each pt 2) so DH had to make a Wal-Mart run for granny panties. I sucked on peppermints and was so glad i had water. I have never been so thirsty! bring food (granola bars were so good at 2 am)I was totally out of it, so I never used my music (back labor will do that to you)but I would bring some just in case. Good luck!
Dallin Todd 10-08-03

lisams
10-12-2003, 11:09 PM
Sounds like you have the essentials.

I didn't like the hospital panties, they weren't very snug and kept sliding down so I was glad to have my maternity briefs with me and didn't care if they got stained.

Chapstick was a life saver during the heavy breathing part of labor.

Make sure you have good batteries and film in the cameras.

The only other things I can think of are nursing bra(if you plan on nursing), going home outfit for you, and tolietries if you want. I loved having nice smelling lotion and a little makeup for all of the pictures - it made me feel better.

Can't wait to hear about the arrival of your little one!!

Lisa

mommyj
10-13-2003, 09:17 AM
The things I brought that I actually used were:
nursing bra
breastfeeding book (Dr. Sears is my favorite. My hosptal had
great support for breastfeeding, but I found
that I stiil used the chapter on getting
started with bf'ing.)
my own pillows
robe and nightgown
camera, videocamera, and extra batteries
list of people to call and their phone #s
bottled water
coming home outfit and blanket for ds

Jen841
10-13-2003, 10:15 AM
A pre-paid phone card and a note pad were helpful for us. I think everything else was mentioned. I did like having some nice lotion. My Mom sat and rubbed my swollen feet and gave me a great hand massage. I was so tired it let me get in a nap (got to the hospital room at 3am after giving birth and our day started at 5am.)

I liked having my robe (a thin one that I could have in bed with me) and clothes and PJ's. I could not stay in the gown another minute!

s_gosney
10-13-2003, 11:28 AM
So you were okay in PJs rather than a gown? I am much more comfortable in flannel pants and a shirt than in a gown, but my mother (very traditional) keeps insisting that I need gowns. The list of what to bring that my hospital provided also lists gowns. At this point though, I'm still planning on being a rebel :)...especially if I hear from experienced mommies that it will be okay.

momma_boo
10-13-2003, 11:45 AM
I hope this isn't TMI, but it was actually better for me to have the gown on for the first 24 hours b/c the nurses/docs kept coming in to check me. I was hemorrhaging after delivering DD, so they kept changing the pad and I also had ice packs for my swelling. I kept the hospital gown until the second day. It was easier to hike up the gown whenever they came to check/change. I don't think I would have had the energy to deal with pants.

Edited to Add: Make sure to bring some of your preferred sanitary pads. The hospitals give the mega-thick ones. I actually used those for the first day and then started using my thin ones when the flow became more "normal."

agomalley
10-13-2003, 12:00 PM
One thing that I was glad I had was a journal. I had DH write in it during labor (what time they gave me the pitocin, what time I started pushing, etc.) Then, for the days I was in there (I had a C-section), I jotted down who came to visit and what gifts were brought. When I went to write thank you notes, I just checked them off in the journal. I also used it to write down the times I breastfed and which side I used. I only recently stopped writing about nursing, but since we started solids on Sat. I started recording that in the journal. Throughout the past 6 months I've used it to make our Christening list, list Christening gifts and jot down questions for my pediatrician. It's great because everything is in one place. My journal has been invaluable! (DH makes fun of me, but so what ;) It will make a great keepsake!

Another good idea is to pack a small bag for the delivery room. Put the things you think you'll only need for that time in there and then put everything else in another bag. That will save you a lot of time rooting through your bigger bag.

Good Luck and enjoy it!

Anabelle and Ryan 4/9/03

Momof3Labs
10-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Bring your pants, but throw in a gown too. You won't be moving too well, most likely, and if you end up with a c-section, pants will not even be an option.

In fact, bring two - Colin spit up all over one of my gowns and I had to change into a second one. Not to mention the blood/mess factor.

s_gosney
10-13-2003, 02:05 PM
Okay..so I guess I might have to use a gown for a while. My mom had brought up the issue of being checked (funny side note...it's interesting to hear her stumble through these conversations as she is VERY reserved--we're one of those families where there was no discussion on the birds and the bees).
Follow up question...seeing as how I have no gowns and don't care to have any (meaning, I know I won't wear them after it's no longer necessary), would it still be worth it to buy some? I hate to spend money on something for so short a time...and I am planning on taking a robe to help out with the overexposure problem of hospital gowns. So would just wearing theirs work? And then if I had to have a c-section, I could always send someone to buy a couple since I would then need them for a little longer than the hospital stay, right?
One last thing...this could definitely illicit TMI, but I'm clueless...just how messy is the recovery part? I'm assuming that just like everything else it varies from woman to woman. Maybe the best way to phrase the question is should I just plan on ruining the pajamas I wear during recovery? Or is it just a possibility, so you go ahead and take ones you don't really care about, but most of the time they're okay? I'm not sure if that makes sense or really even what difference it would make in the clothes I take...but I still want to know. Sorry this got so long. Thanks for all the help, ladies!

lfp2n
10-13-2003, 03:37 PM
Food!! I was starving-after a delivery at 10, there was not much food around at midnight. After, I wasn't very partial to the hospital food-it has zero fiber which is something you'll be wanting lots of especially if you take any narcotic painkillers.

I think PJs are fine (unless you have a C'section or complications mentioned earlier) I had a Gap pair of jersey ones, the top buttons down the front, I still wear them now they didn't get 'very' gross at all.

Good Luck

Lucy

heva
10-13-2003, 05:38 PM
We brought everything but the kitchen sink - and used almost none of it - but somehow managed to forget our camera!! Thank goodness for our wonderful neighbors who brought it by about 3 hours after I delivered. In retrospect, it was wonderful not to have it during delivery, as it forced us to be totally present in the moment. Some things are best remembered in your mind and shared with no one else...what an incredible experience.

Just FYI, I had no intention of wearing the hospital gown going in, so I brought old XXL t-shirts to labor/deliver in, but I ended up spending 3 hours in the jacuzzi and I was so warm during second stage that I just stayed naked! Afterwards, I found the hospital gown very easy to nurse in, and preferred it to staining my own clothes. Plus, the hospital is so hot and dry, it's much easier to manage your body temp in the gown, for what it's worth.

Do bring food, and make sure your DH brings a change of clothes, if he intends to room in with you like mine did. He ended up wearing one of my t-shirts home. At least one of us used 'em!

lisams
10-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Oh YES - I forgot about the food issue!! I took some power bars, dried fruit, and fruit juice boxes and boy was I happy I did!! I was startving after not eating a meal for 24 hours and was so happy I had those healthy snacks instead of having DH get junkfood from the vendors during the night hours when the cafeteria is closed. Fruit was good because it is non-constipating. They did serve three meals though.

egoldber
10-13-2003, 06:28 PM
I only used hospital gowns and didn't miss having my own. (I did have a C-section.) At home, I used 2 piece PJs and that was fine. Your scar isn't that sore unless you press on it, sit up, laugh or sneeze. The PJs didn't bother it at all.

HTH,

lisams
10-13-2003, 06:38 PM
It sounds like you could do fine without gowns (just use the hospitals), and just use a robe when you have visitors or feel like walking the halls.

How messy is recovery? Well, the first day I had a heavy flow especially when I stood up or was nursing. I would say double what the heaviest days of my regular period with some light clots (I know gross, but after giving birth it's just like talking about the weather - wait until poop discussions are just as normal :)) I did get blood on my socks because it trickled down when I stood up the first time, but it wasn't really bad. The next day or two were still heavy but not as bad and then about 3 days it was like a regular period. I had a vaginal delivery, so I'm not sure what a c-section would be like.

Hope this helps!

Gayletmomto4
10-13-2003, 08:01 PM
I am another one who delivered one of my babies "au natural"! The things I did in labor that I would never believe if I hadn't been there!
I have always worn my own gowns-twice during the actual messy part of the birth-and have found that they get stained but it's nothing that a little Biz won't get out. I vote for taking whatever makes you most comfortable whether that is a gown, pj's, a big shirt or a hospital gown.
Also, ditto on the food. If you deliver at some time when the kitchen is closed you may have to wait hours or even overnight for anything to eat.
Wishing you a memorable birth experience!

scubagear
10-13-2003, 09:49 PM
Thanks everybody for all the useful & very helpful info!!!

Greatly appreciated!!