PDA

View Full Version : Maternity wear - "normal" clothes bigger sizes

brinat1995
10-12-2003, 12:46 PM
We've been reluctant to buy "normal" clothes in bigger sizes because we're not sure how much bigger to buy for it to fit appropriately. We've had faith in true 'maternity' clothes because those can be purchased according to existing/pre pregnancy size, and are labeled with the terms they are good for (i.e. 3 - 9 mos.). Any suggestions on sizing normal clothes for maternity purposes?

by the way, kudos to the person in the book who got a full wardrobe from OldNavy.com for $350. We tried shopping there and any of the least expensive items were not in my wife's size. The OldNavy.com shipping and handling charges were pricey too.

deborah_r
10-12-2003, 01:06 PM
I was a size 8 before pregnancy; I bought a couple pairs of pants in size 10 and size 12 before needing to move onto maternity clothes. I tries some big non-maternity pants and they just looked too sloppy.

Some normal pants that fit me longest were some Dockers for Women I got that had stretch in them.

You can also get away with big shirts for a while but eventually you need the maternity ones because the others just won't cover the belly!

JMO - HTH!

Momof3Labs
10-12-2003, 01:54 PM
You must not be too far along to have faith in true maternity clothes... I outgrew many of mine by 7-8 months, and almost all by 9 months (and only gained 35lbs total). Many maternity clothes are sized for growth in the belly, not in other areas of the body, or they are too huge to begin with and finally fit at 8-9 months.

One of the problems with sizing normal clothes for maternity purposes is that things like shoulders don't usually change size - but if you go up a couple of sizes in clothes, the shoulders won't fit. And larger pants aren't sized for growth in the proportions experienced during pregnancy.

deborah_r
10-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Good points, Lori (as always) I forgot to mention by 7.5-8 months my maternity pants fit fine in the belly, but the thighs and the butt were another story! I was worried everyday I would bust a seam! But I bought some chino-type maternity pants at that stage (from JC Penny) and they lasted to the end.

I always thought dresses and jumpers would be a good idea, but I only managed to find one that fit and was reasonably priced. I did see a nice maternity jumper on ebay yesterday...

kaitlinsmommy
10-12-2003, 03:15 PM
I think drawstrings can work well when you're pregnant. The only "normal clothes" things I bought were drawstring shorts and sweats from Target that I wore around the house and they still fit now. Drawstrings are also good for after the baby when you can't yet fit into your old clothes.

I agree with the previous posts. I am rather petite (size 2) and bought a lot of size medium at maternity stores. If I wasn't sure, I always got bigger. You don't want to be 8 months pregnant and run out of maternity clothes.

Momof3Labs
10-12-2003, 04:50 PM
LOL - they put expandable bellies into clothes but forget the expandable butts and thighs! I had exactly the same problem!!

stillplayswithbarbies
10-12-2003, 05:09 PM
I think it only works to size up regular clothes if you are already a plus size. I was able to keep wearing my regular underwear, but the waist got all stretched out and I had to throw them out after baby was born.

I had some stretch pants in a size bigger (22/24) that still fit, but I wouldn't wear them out of the house because they were so baggy in the butt.

It all depends on how you gain your weight. I gained it all upfront and none in the butt, so going up a size didn't really fit me. I found that I was buying a size smaller in maternity clothes than my usual size because I wanted the maternity clothes to fit tighter.

If you are plus size and are used to dressing to hide your belly, you will want to wear tighter maternity clothes so that it looks like you are pregnant. I wanted to make a t-shirt that said "I'm not fat I'm pregnant". :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

bnme
10-13-2003, 08:06 AM
I got pregnant in April and for the most of the summer I mananged i some larger size clothes I had bought. For shorts I bought maternity only because I new by August I'd probably need them. and severla of the less generous sleeveless tops becuase I new when I was huge in my 3rd trimester I wouldn't be wearing sleeveless. But I bought a bunch of larger tops and elastic type pants for work. I am not even sure they were nesc. larger sizes, but just more roomy styles then my pre-preg clothes. SInce you go through various seasons in pregnancy it makes sense to factor that in.