PDA

View Full Version : q about peas and prunes

cchavez
10-13-2003, 08:05 AM
I gave DS peas for the first time today and it was not a hit! So far carrots, squash and sweet potato have gone over great! I have read that it might take 10 exposures of a certain food before a child likes it or acquires a taste for it. So should I expose him to the food 10 x's over the next month. I am still going to given it to him several days in a row to make sure he is not allergic but after that trial period is over then I would continually give it to him from time to time???

"I also want to introduce prunes in the next few weeks. I used to give him apple/prune juice for constipation (but the veggies have take care of that!) so I really don't have to worry about an allergic reaction right??? I am planning on mixing a few spoonfuls of prunes w/ his cereal that way he doesn't eat too much at get really runny bm's....does this sound right???

TIA!

kaitlinsmommy
10-13-2003, 11:21 PM
Well, I've never given dd prunes so I can't offer any advice there. But I can try to help you with the peas.

First, you do not need to continue giving peas several times to find out if there is an allergic reaction if you are doing the 3-day wait rule. If you introduced them once and there is no reaction within a couple days, then he is probably not allergic to them.

I'm lucky that Kaitlin is not a picky eater but there have been times she wasn't thrilled with new food. If she wasn't, I would try again by mixing it with another food that she does like. Maybe you want to try mixing in a little peas with sweet potato, etc.

If your baby eats the peas with another vegetable he might get used to the taste and will be more willing to have peas later on.

Just my two cents. Aren't solids fun?

nohomama
10-14-2003, 08:13 AM
>First, you do not need to continue giving peas several times
>to find out if there is an allergic reaction if you are doing
>the 3-day wait rule. If you introduced them once and there is
>no reaction within a couple days, then he is probably not
>allergic to them.

Actually, I believe that's incorrect. I'm not an expert but I believe that in order to determine whether or not a particular food is allergenic for you babe there must be at least two exposures. The first exposure sensitizes our immune system to a particular food, while the second exposure is what determines whether a food is allergenic or not. As I said, I'm not an expert but that is part of my understanding of how the allergic response works.

cchavez
10-14-2003, 08:26 AM
He did much better w/ the peas today! He half a jar. WE are having so much fun w/ solids!!!