PDA

View Full Version : using a breast pump....

Lil_busta
10-15-2003, 11:18 AM
Hi, newbie here... DD is 2 weeks 4 days old... we've had some weight issues and have been told to supplement till her weight goes up, i refuse to just stop breastfeeding, so i am still doing that, my question is ive tried 2 breast pumps and cant seem to get any more out than just enough to cover the bottom of the bottle (from both breasts) am i not producing enough milk?? why cant i pump even an oz??? this frustrates me so much, i cry and cry thinking she's not getting enough food, we only supplement her 3 times a day 1oz except at night she gets 2oz so she sleeps.....i need some help/opinions...I can still extract milk on my own with my fingers after i've tried to pump, but it seems the pump doesnt get anything out after a certain point, ive tried my own evenflow press and pump and now have rented one from the hospital to see if that one is any better...whats wrong???

thanks!!

COElizabeth
10-15-2003, 11:36 AM
First of all, try not to worry! I know that's much easier to say than do, but you absolutely should not take your pumping as any kind of sign of how much you are producing! I have never had a supply problem, but there have been MANY times when I tried to pump and got little or nothing. It sounds like you aren't actually having a letdown. I know I could sometimes pump for half an hour and get a little milk, but very little (maybe an ounce). But then I might have a letdown, and I would get 3 or 4 ounces in 10 minutes or so. I was never that successful a pumper, so I will defer to others for tips. Do make sure that you nurse as frequently as possible to build your supply, though, and I would really recommend that you work with a lactation consultant (or a second or third one if you have not seen improvement) to help you and your DD. You don't want your daughter to get in the habit of waiting for the bottle because it's easier to get milk out, because then your supply really will start to drop. That might not happen (developing a preference for the bottle), but it could, so it would be worth it to try to come up with some other solutions, and a good LC could be invaluable to you both.

Best of luck, and hang in there!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

KGoes
10-15-2003, 01:13 PM
This board is full of experienced pumpers, but here are a few things I have learned: What I pump can vary, so don't worry about that. If you are drinking plenty of water (and not lots of caffeine or other diuretics), eating well, etc. then just keep at it. The shower causes me to let down - so much so that I have to have my breast pads and bra handy or I end up having to mop the bathroom. For pumping, I start with the strongest suck that I can stand and at the fastest rate. That gets my flow started and then I back of the suction a bit and leave the rate the same. The whole pumping session should not be painful, but I feel a pinch in the beginning until things get going. You will want to check that the horns fit over your breasts. If your breasts are smaller there are inserts you can add into the horns for better suction. Also, keep the nipple centered and periodically massage your breasts. This helps flow and also helps to make sure that all parts of the breast are emptying.
I know how you feel - you're tired and worried about your baby and feeling overwhelmed and inadequate. I've been through the supplementation phase as well. Just keep going and nurse as often as you can. I finally ignored all of the "only nurse every 2-3 hour" advice and nursed DD whenever she asked, which was often more frequently than 2-3 hours. She starting gaining and dropping feedings all on her own. By 8 weeks she was "gaining beautifully." You are doing a fine job and will get this worked out.
Kelley
DD born 7/30/03

stillplayswithbarbies
10-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Your breasts know just how much milk to make. If you are eating well and drinking enough water, your breasts can do their job. Don't be concerned about how much you get out with the pump, your baby is much better than a pump at getting milk out!

Have you had a chance to try the rented one from the Hospital yet? The Evenflo pump is one that does not work well for many women. Pumping is a learned skill; it takes practice. So don't be concerned if you don't get much milk at first, especially if you are trying to pump at just 2 weeks or so.

Here is an article about helping baby gain weight:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/weight-gain_increase.html

If you haven't already seen a lactation consultant, do so, and keep trying until you find one who can help you. When you find a pump that works better for you, you can pump some milk at the end of the feeding and use that to supplement with. When you give a bottle of formula, that tells your breasts that you don't need as much milk, so try all avenues of getting breastmilk into the baby first.

You also might want to get another opinion about the weight issues. Some pediatricians don't realize that breastfed babies gain weight differently than formula fed babies and if they are holding a breastfed baby to the standards developed for formula fed babies, they may think there are issues when there are not. You can ask the lactation consultant about that too.

Hang in there. I know how hard it seems at 2 weeks, but trust me, it gets much easier at about 5 or 6 weeks for most women. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Jen841
10-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Sounds like a let down issue. Is your daughter present when you pump? That helped me a bit and I close my eyes and picture him coo-ing when he is not around when I pump. I really have to concentrate to let down even though I have been back at work pump 2X a day now.

agomalley
10-15-2003, 01:23 PM
Hi,
I could have written your post 5 and a half months ago! Try not to worry (easier said than done), it really, truly does get better and your baby will gain weight. My DS, Ryan, had to be supplemented, too. I was BFing and pumping and giving him a bit of formula. The other posts have given you some great advice. I'll just add that if you do need to end up giving the baby some formula, don't worry. I did that for several weeks and went back to exclusively BFing with no problems. It just made me feel better knowing that he was getting something extra and he did make good gains. Good Luck!
Anabelle and Ryan 4/9/03

Momof3Labs
10-15-2003, 07:52 PM
Sounds like a letdown issue to me, too, not a production issue. Next time you are pumping, set the speed at high and the suction at low to begin with. When you start getting a letdown (milk squirting out), switch the speed to low and the suction as high as you can stand it (don't put yourself in pain, though). As it slows to a trickle, go back to fast speed/low suction until you get another letdown. And so on. Do this for 20-30 minutes. After about a week of pumping, you will see an increase in your pumping output as your body gets used to letting down for the pump. Relaxing and seeing your baby helps, too.