PDA

View Full Version : Maternity outerwear solution

jojo2324
10-15-2003, 04:12 PM
Ugh. It's chilly and I'm getting rounder and rounder by the day. Last time I didn't really start to show until about 5-6 months, which put me smack dab in the middle of January/February...I could still fit into my coats, because they were puffy and roomy. For the fall I used a sweater jacket, and it worked perfectly.

But that doesn't seem to be the case this time. My vest is getting tight, and there's no way my winter coat is going to fit. I loathe the idea of spending some absurd amount of money on a coat I will wear for 3-4 months. And the same goes for a larger size coat, because in the end it's the same problem.

I can't wear any of DH's outerwear because he's 6'6" and I'm 5'4". I could probably fit my whole self into one of his sleeves. :)

Any suggestions? Should I just layer and keep my vest open? TIA! :)

Marisa6826
10-15-2003, 04:46 PM
Joanne-

I have a Talbots tomato-orange toggle coat that's a size 10/12 you're more than welcome to borrow.

I can't fit into it at the moment ;)

Let me know. I'd be happy to ship it out to you.

-m

divabell
10-15-2003, 05:09 PM
Have you checked the Gap site? I know they're having 25% off outerwear right now. I didn't check the prices, but a few months ago I got a couple coats from them for not much money at all when I caught them on sale. Otherwise, maybe try consignment stores for a regular larger coat? Good luck!

ralu
10-15-2003, 11:21 PM
You could try a wool poncho; you would be able to wear it after the baby is born, too.

This one looks cute:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000KLRRA/qid=1066276651/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_9_a/002-1153092-1146445?v=glance&n=1036682

My baby was born in January and I was ok in an older flared, A-shaped winter coat.

Raluca

cinrein
10-16-2003, 07:45 AM
I had this problem with Anna. I ended up getting a nice maternity coat from Old Navy for $50. As cold as it was last winter, I was very happy I got it. I took very good care of it with plans to ebay it once I'm sure I won't need it again.

How do you feel about capes? If it's something you'd wear again, that is one possibility.

My coat is a simple black short wool coat. It's not very heavy, but I didn't need it to be since I had my own living heater on board. It did a good job of keeping the wind out. I wear an 8, so it's either an 8 or a Medium--I'd be happy to loan it to you if you're interested.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

sugarsnappea
10-16-2003, 07:49 AM
I am in the same boat or should I say "I am also outta my coats"! You received some great ideas. I just bought/received a NWT Gap Wool duffle coat from Ebay for $60. At last check, she had a few different outwear styles. I buy most of my GAP maternity clothes from seller oogieman. She is super friendly and a fast shipper. I don't know how cold it gets where you are but here is gets freezing! I had to get a coat! :)

msdjsmith
10-16-2003, 08:05 AM
Fortunately I didn't have this problem as DS was born in July, but my sister is due with her third in January and it's an issue for her. She tried wearing her DH's coat, too, but it was way huge. She found a maternity coat at a consignment store -- some have maternity sections, so that could be an option for you...

trumansmom
10-16-2003, 01:23 PM
Going throught the same thing right now. I didn't need a coat with DS, but I can't imagine how I'm going to survive an entire South Dakota winter without biting the bullet and getting something.

Someone on another boards suggested looking at swing coats on Ebay. She got one for $9.99. I've also looked at capes and ponchos. I'm holding off as long as possible. I love the coats at Gap, but since this is my last pregnancy, I don't want to spend the money. Rather spend it on baby clothes!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

Jen841
10-16-2003, 02:08 PM
My Mother found me a good wool coat at a resale store for $10 that got me through last winter along with a coat that I had that had a "giving" cut.

karin4
10-16-2003, 04:14 PM
I went through this last winter, and have one other suggestion to add to all the good ones you've already received. I bought an Old Navy fleece vest in a large size that really worked well-- and cost very little, since I bought it on sale. I was generally so warm that I didn't need anything heavier, but on the few occasions that I did, I'd just wear one of my roomier coats unbuttoned over the vest. And I'm wearing it again this year-- yes, it's bigger than I would pick if I bought it now, but it's not bulky so it hangs nicely and doesn't look huge and sloppy.

karin4
10-16-2003, 04:25 PM
I just checked the Old Navy website, since it was about this time of year that I bought my vest. They don't seem to carry them this year, but I did check the maternity page-- they've got a maternity trench coat on sale for $35 that looks pretty nice:
http://www.oldnavy.com/asp/Product.asp?wdid=80350&wpid=200929

I definitely hear you on not wanting to spend money on something you'll only use for a few months... but if none of the other suggestions you receive pan out, this might be a not-bad-looking, relatively inexpensive option. And as some of the other ladies have said, you could probably recoup at least some of the cost by consigning or ebaying.

jojo2324
10-20-2003, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys!! I think I'm going to look into a poncho. It might ride up a little bit in the front with my belly, but I can use it again after.

Off to search for ponchos...Aren't they in this season anyway? :)

JustMare
10-20-2003, 08:56 PM
Hey Joanne I'm in the same boat as you!!

I SO did not want to buy a winter coat and there's no way my fitted cashmere coat will fit with this round stomach in front of me.

The other day I visited the Old Navy store on 34th Street all I can say is WOW! It's huge! Must be their flagship store. Anyway, to be quite honest, I've never been a huge Old Navy fan, but I thought I'd check out their maternity line. I was surprised to see a few nice pieces. I picked up a pair of yoga pants for $16.

Anyway, I could kick myself for not purchasing their new Maternity Sherpa Jacket (brown or black) for $39.99. Of course the day I saw it, it was 70 degrees out!!! Now, that it's 48 degrees I WISH I had it!!! It looked so comfy!!! It's not the trench that's on the website, but actually the woman's Sherpa Jacket below:

http://www.oldnavy.com/asp/Product.asp?wdid=20056&wpid=212430

Perhaps the maternity version is too new and hasn't been put on the website yet.

The jacket looks really warm and should get us through a cold NY winter. I'm going back down there later this week to pick one up.

Stay warm!!

heidi_timms
10-20-2003, 09:45 PM
Have you tried Ross Stores for Maternity? I found a Belly Basics coat there for $16.99. They sometimes get high-end stuff there, but it's hit or miss.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

JustMare
10-20-2003, 09:57 PM
Never heard of Ross stores. They must not be in the NY/NJ/CT area.