PDA

View Full Version : Flu Shot While Nursing

hellokitty1
10-16-2003, 01:03 PM
Can I get a flu shot even though I'm nursing?

lfp2n
10-16-2003, 01:40 PM
I'm breastfeeding and my ped recommended Olivia get the shot (babies need 2) and that I also get it. There was a thread recently about the pros and cons of flu shots for babies. I think I'm going to do it if I get time to get over there because she's in daycare.

Lucy
Mum to Olivia (3/27/03)

momma_boo
10-16-2003, 01:57 PM
I just got my flu shot and I am nursing DD. She got one also. I hated having to give her another shot, but she goes to daycare and I didn't want to take the chance of her getting the flu.

Edited to Add: FYI - DD had no reaction to the shot at all. She has a tendency to get a slight fever following all the other shots.

ATJ71
10-16-2003, 02:35 PM
I am a little over four months pregant with my second child. I just got my flu shot yesterday. I will be taking my son in for his 15 month check next month and will be requesting he gets one. I work in a hospital as a nurse and there is tremendous literature out there to encourage people to vaccinate themselves and their children. I believe the New York Times put out an important article stating that this year it is more beneficial to obtain the vaccine, so that the ER's weren't overloaded with cases of the flu when SARS is still on the rise, not to mention both have similiar symptoms. Just something to think about. Certainly ask your pediatrician and do what is comfortable for you. Fortunately there is no shortage of shots this year. ALI

houseof3boys
10-16-2003, 03:20 PM
As everyone has already answered...YES! Here is the CDC link if you would like to read it. Ryan's ped actually offered the flu shot to DH and I when we were there for his 4 month visit since they feel so strongly about it for the parents. Ryan will get one in December when he is 6 months.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/flu/fluvac.htm

MinnieMouse
10-17-2003, 09:12 AM
I wouldn't get the flu shot if I was nursing or pregnant despite the recommendations. The "adult" version of the flu shot still contains thimerisol (mercury) and although all recent reports insist it's safe...none of the studies were done well IMHO.

I really wouldn't want to expose my child or unborn child to anything that was potentially harmful.

The flu shot that was JUST released last year for small children does not contain thimerisol.

HTH

Christine

s7714
10-17-2003, 08:48 PM
In the last issue of Prevention magazine I got, they said that thimerisol-free shots are available for BOTH children and nursing/pregnant women as of this year. Perhaps their availability varies by geographic location or something. I'm still waiting to hear back from my DR office if they have the adult version (just called today).

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03