PDA

View Full Version : What solids can I give William to help with diarrhea?

KimberleyDawn
10-17-2003, 08:53 AM
William has been sick with a cold for just over a week now and has been on a formula only diet because he wasn't eating well. Yesterday he seemed to be feeling a little better so I gave him some cereal and at snack some cheddar and he's had diarrhea ever since! William NEVER has loose stool so this is a first. How should I introduce solids back into his diet and what should I be giving him.
Kim

Piglet
10-17-2003, 10:44 AM
There are a few "binding" things to feed a baby with diarrhea - BART - Bananas, Apples, Rice, Toast.

Also, stay away from dairy as much as possible (the cheddar was probably hard on his system). What we usually do is stay on liquids (but ideally non-dairy) for a day and see how it goes, then move on to BART for a day and see how it goes. If all is going well, bring in the rest of the diet slowly, bringing dairy last.

Good luck! I hope William feels better soon.

luvbeinmama
10-18-2003, 12:33 AM
BTW, the "A" is appleSAUCE, not just apples. Fresh apples are very acidic, but the applesauce is good for tummies/diarrhea. The funny thing about the cheddar is that cheese is usually a "binding" food, but I would definitely stick with the BRAT diet until the diarrhea clears up. If you want, there is a formula specifically for diarrhea... ISOMIL DF. It only comes in RTF cans but is worth it to end diarrhea. I've found it consistently at Albertsons (sorry, but I think this would be a good reason to cross the picket lines even if you are avoiding them), and sometimes at Longs. HTH!