PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone think of having a post-partum doula

TraciG
10-18-2003, 01:06 PM
would u like it or would u have liked it to help with breast-feeding, the doula I talked to is a La Leche counselor also so if I decide to use her I will have a lot of breast-feeding help from the time I come home from the hospital, also she will help with teaching us baby care, not doing things for us but showing us how to do things an easier way then we might now how. I have to make a decision by next week, we will meet her if we decide we want to have a doula, also in brochure it says she will help with light house-keeping & meal preperation, Have to find out what exactly that means.

What do u all think ??

Momof3Labs
10-18-2003, 02:33 PM
It depends - do you have the support of famliy or friends? Someone who has breastfed before? Someone who can stay a few nights if you need an extra pair of hands? Someone who can cook a few meals for you, walk the dog occasionally, spruce up the bathrooms as needed? If not, it sounds like a good idea. In my case, my mom was staying with us and it would have been too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak.

lizajane
10-19-2003, 03:02 PM
i was alone on day 8. mom left, dh went back to work. i wasn't scared of taking care of my baby- i had plenty of baby experience. but i was TIRED and i was HUNGRY and i had a HORRIBLE breastfeeding experience for the first 4 weeks. dh had to call every lactation consultant and lll leader in the book AND take a day off work that 2nd week.

so i say, get all the help you can get. if you decide you don't need her after a day or two, then stop using her.

sadie427
10-19-2003, 08:50 PM
It sounds fantastic! I was also alone on about day 8, and had a few days alone all day till my mom came for a week, I had had a c-section. Obviously I survived, but it would have been great to have help--even just staying hydrated and eating enough is a challenge. If you will be alone otherwise, and can afford it I would definitely do it. If your partner will be there, it might still be helpful to have the doula for the breastfeeding expertise, and to teach you basic baby care.

MartiesMom2B
10-20-2003, 10:20 AM
Traci:

From reading your previous post in the lounge, I would go with the doula. Even if your hospital has a lactation consultant, I found that they come in once a day and don't spend that much time with you. It would be nice to have someone come and help you with the breastfeeding and show you different positions. See what the housekeeping and meal prep includes. Also get some references and talk to her previous clients and ask them what she did.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

nohomama
10-20-2003, 12:11 PM
I have two friends who've had post-partum doula care. One friend said she found it stressful to have someone she didn't know well puttering and hovering, while the other friend loved it and utilized her doula to the fullest--she really put her to work. I think it really depends on your situation and personality. As Lori said, if you'll have ample support from friend's and family then it may be overkill. If your insurance covers it or if it's a service your hospital offers for free (ours does) then I'd tell you to go ahead and make arrangements for the service. If you end-up finding a doula unnecessary you can always just send the person away but at least you'll have the insurance of knowing you have help if you need it.

TraciG
10-20-2003, 12:12 PM
I will talk to my husband tonight before I call her to meet her.

TraciG
10-20-2003, 02:11 PM
we have to sign a contract, she wouldn't take any other jobs then so I really have to know if I want her, I cant decide, this is so tough for me, maybe after we meet her we'll know. It's hard to tell if i'll like having someone there ( a stanger ) to help i'm kind of shy so I dont know plus what happens if i need a c-section, u cant climb stairs for 2 weeks then, we only have a shower upstairs.

decisions decisions