PDA

View Full Version : Update on Colin's tummy troubles

Momof3Labs
10-19-2003, 09:50 PM
Since I know that a few others were curious to hear our experiment went...

I took Colin off of cow's milk last Sunday evening. By Monday, I had my happy boy back, and his poops pretty much returned to normal (reasonably firm). This past week, he's had water and breastmilk, but no other liquids. I plan to keep it this way for another week (if my freezer stash gets us through my business trip this week - yikes!!!) and then try Lactaid whole milk and see how his tummy does.

I haven't called the ped yet about this but will once we see how he responds to the Lactaid milk. Fortunately (unfortunately?) his reaction to milk happens very quickly, so it won't take long to determine if the Lactaid does the trick.

It seems like this is a common problem - I wish that my ped warned us about signs that cow's milk might not be agreeing with Colin!

Karenn
10-19-2003, 10:31 PM
Thanks Lori. I'll be interested in hearing how the lactaid works for you. I think I'd rather go the lactaid route over the soy route that we're trying out now. I started Colin on soy this week, but he's really reluctant to drink it straight so I've had to cut it with formula and I'm not sure he's even getting enough to cause a reaction. We'll see how things go in a few more days.

I'm glad your Colin's feeling better and I hope he stays that way!

houseof3boys
10-19-2003, 10:57 PM
Ooooh, poor little guy! I hope the lactaid does the trick for him. It tastes exactly the same so at least you don't have to worry about that.

Boy I bet you wish you had your 350 oz that you used to have in the stash, but I am sure it will be okay for this week with what you have left. I am sure you are stressing over this so .... deep calming breaths and keep us posted.

Sorry your ped didn't warn you about milk!

Rachels
10-20-2003, 06:56 AM
Wow! Glad he's feeling better, Lori. And I'm glad he responds so quickly so that you know what's going on and can address it.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

momtoemma
10-21-2003, 09:20 PM
I'm glad to hear that Colin's troubles seem to be improving! My DD's tummy/bathroom troubles have not improved. I switched her to soy milk a week ago, and she is still stiffening up and crying any time she has a bm. She has been having bm's 1-2 times per day, so I don't think she is constipated. It's just that she seems to be in pain when she tries to go. Besides switching her to soy milk, I had already been filling her up on pears, peaches and prune juice, etc...Nothing has helped us!

My doctor was fine with us switching to soy milk, but she just isn't very supportive and certainly didn't ever mention that dd might have a problem with milk. When I bring it up, she pretty much just blows it off, saying that it is rare. Are there any other alternatives? Would it be better to try the Lactaid? I have read that babies that have problems with cow's milk are often also sensitive to soy, so what do you give them? Currently, we are giving dd colace/stool softener to see if this will ease the problem, but so far, I have yet to figure out what it causing her troubles.

Stephanie