PDA

View Full Version : Back from DD's Dr's appt/weigh in update..........

Lil_busta
10-20-2003, 06:34 PM
some good news, she's gained more weight, although lol i think its too much.... Friday night she was weighed and was at 6lbs 14oz, well today she was weighed and was back up to her birth weight which is 7lbs 6oz, i'm SO HAPPY that she's back up to her birth weight, but my goodness, in 3 days, she's gained 8oz..does that not seem like too much???..so now i dont know what to do, the nurse said keep doing what your doing, and nothing else i didnt even get to see my dr cause again she wasnt there, ugh, should i keep supplementing her, or should i just do it a little and go back to the breast strictly??? now i'm confused, i only want to do the best for her...

Gina
Lyric 9/27

stillplayswithbarbies
10-20-2003, 06:52 PM
If she is back to her birth weight, I would just breastfeed her.

As long as she is have enough wet/dirty diapers a day, she is getting enough.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

egoldber
10-20-2003, 06:54 PM
Honestly, I would take the ped's scales with a grain of salt. They are not always perfectly calibrated. But anywhere form 1/2 to 2 ounces a day is considered "normal" weight gain.

How much are you supplementing? If it is more than one bottle a day, then it is likely you will be risking your milk supply. For some women, even one bottle a day is too much. You REALLY, REALLY need your baby to stimulate your breasts to know to make more milk. And the longer you supplement the harder it will be to stop supplementing later.

Here's some good info about weight gain:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain.html

Good luck!

Momof3Labs
10-20-2003, 07:51 PM
Sarah has a new avatar! Adorable!!

egoldber
10-20-2003, 08:04 PM
You're too kind! :)

deborah_r
10-20-2003, 08:15 PM
I too had been wondering where Sarah's avatar went! Lately your posts had no avatar of Sarah...Very cute new one!!

deborah_r
10-20-2003, 08:23 PM
I agree with the advice you've already been given. The scales vary, from scale to scale and from day to day. I think the best thing for your supply would be just to breastfeed as much as you can and monitor her diaper output to know if she's getting enough.

This advice I've seen many times before and I think it's great: just spend a day or too focusing on breastfeeding. Hang out with your baby and cuddle and feed her whenever she seems interested.

And I think stressing about formula and supplementing and whether she's getting enough is going to make you stressed and make it hard for you to produce milk and have letdowns - you have to try to be relaxed! (Not that you can't be concerned, I totally understand that you are, but just try to close your eyes and relax your mind and body while you are nursing.)

I think a lot of these peds just feel it is easier for them to tell you to feed formula. Then you can tell them exactly how much they are eating, and they don't have to feel compelled to help you with any BFing problems. I was told to give formula too, when we left the hospital. We bought it, gave him some once or twice, then decided that we felt he was fine without it, and he was fine.

Sending happy nursing and weight-gain vibes your way (weight gain for DD, not for you, lol!)

EDITED TO ASK: Gina, I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with your previous posts and your whole situation - is your DD latching on OK? I shouldn't recommend skipping formula and nursing all day if there are any latch problems!