PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide about EBM bottles

todzwife
10-20-2003, 08:40 PM
I don't really know if I want to do this or not. I know it would give me a little more freedom, but honestly, I don't mind being the only one who can feed him. Dh doesn't care if he gets to feed him a bottle. How many of you do use bottles (like once a day) and how many only breastfeed? What are some pro's/cons? Dallin takes a pacifier no prob and his latch is geting better and better. If he is awake he does awesome! I don't hink he would have a problem wih a bottle. Ideas/opinions etc. are all welcome. thanks!

deborah_r
10-20-2003, 09:00 PM
We give bottles, sometimes daily, sometimes not - DH and I are bad in that we don't offer it every day. If I work 4 nights during the week, we only give him a bottle those 4 nights. Then he goes 3 days with no bottles. Then we wonder why he occasionally rejects the bottle! Poor kid probably forgot how to do it!!

There was a recent thread about why to use bottles, I'll come back and edit my post to add it in a minute. You may not want to start so soon though, maybe wait until 6 or 8 weeks. I've heard 4 weeks a lot, but I think that's mostly for people who are going back to work at 6 weeks. Then he still might reject it around 3 months or so, as I've known a lot of babies at Breastfeeding Support Group who had this exact problem.

Some recommendations are for someone besides you to introduce the bottle, or if it needs to be you, I got a good tip to not hold him like you are nursing - because that will remind him that the breast is near!! I've had some luck sitting him on my lap and facing outward so he can't see me.

EDITED to add the link to the recent thread about why giving bottles might be a good idea...
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=11708&mesg_id=11708&page=2

houseof3boys
10-20-2003, 10:53 PM
As Deborah has already mentioned just be cautious about introducting Dallin to the bottle or paci too soon!

Here is something from www.kellymom.com for you to read about it...

http://www79943.temp.w1.com/pa_pt1/hhg/introbot.htm

mharling
10-20-2003, 11:57 PM
We introduced a bottle at two weeks. Yep, it was early, but yep, it worked. He got a bottle very occasionally at that point and now has one 4-6 times a week. He has never had a problem and I do know that we were/are lucky. Just my experience.......

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3524e54e42d - New 10/3

jayhjay
10-21-2003, 07:39 AM
I was never a successful pumper so I couldn't EBM. As a result, I could never be out during a feeding time while I nursed b/c even though she got a formula bottle, I couldn't last without nursing since I couldn't pump. Although it wasn't terrible, it definitely is hard as your baby gets older and needs you around less to be tied down with no other options than being the one to nurse.

Given that, personally I would recommend trying a bottle occassionally (we started at a couple of months) just to give yourself some options for later on. It doesn't necessarily have to be a daily/scheduled thing. Some babies are naturally accomodating and can switch from breast to bottle and EBM to formula, but others need more practice and consistancy. You will get to see which yours is and have a better idea how often to offer a bottle if you decide to go that route.

jayhjay
10-21-2003, 07:39 AM
I was never a successful pumper so I couldn't EBM. As a result, I could never be out during a feeding time while I nursed b/c even though she got a formula bottle, I couldn't last without nursing since I couldn't pump. Although it wasn't terrible, it definitely is hard as your baby gets older and needs you around less to be tied down with no other options than being the one to nurse.

Given that, personally I would recommend trying a bottle occassionally (we started at a couple of months) just to give yourself some options for later on. It doesn't necessarily have to be a daily/scheduled thing. Some babies are naturally accomodating and can switch from breast to bottle and EBM to formula, but others need more practice and consistancy. You will get to see which yours is and have a better idea how often to offer a bottle if you decide to go that route.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-21-2003, 09:25 AM
If I didn't work, I wouldn't have used bottles at all. Like you, I didn't mind being the only one able to feed her. And anywhere I needed to go, I just took her with me.

Eventually you will be able to go out in between feedings because baby will be more predictable about how long it will be before he needs to eat again. You can get a lot done in 3 hours. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

s7714
10-21-2003, 02:11 PM
To me, it always seemed like it was more of a hassle to squeeze a pumping session in between DD's regular feedings. If I ever needed to be out past the time she needed to start feeding, DH would just give her a little bottle of formula to tide her over a few minutes until I got home and could BF her. (She was getting a supplimental bottle every night from the beginning though because of health complications with my c-section. In the beginning I tried pumping while DH was giving her the bottle, but never came up with much.) Just last week I decided to eliminate the (now just routine) nightly bottle since she's started on solids.

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

kensjen
10-21-2003, 04:13 PM
Shandelle,
All I can say is wait a little bit. If you aren't going back to work, and have no need to get him on a bottle right away, then hold off. A few more weeks maybe....I know every baby is different on this, but why take a chance. I gave my baby a bottle at 4 weeks, and it introduced all kinds of problems for us. Not that this will happen to you, but you never know. I'd do anything if I could go back and not give him that darn bottle.

Wait until you have established a good BF relationship, no one here can really tell you when that will be, only you know your baby and your situation. Enjoy BF for now, and that little guy too, he will grow too fast!! :)

HTH!