PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding in PUBLIC?? EEEEK!

alkagift
10-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Ok, I'm struggling with the whole BFing thing now that DS is older. I want to take him places, but I don't want to feed him bottles while we're out--mostly because I will become instantly engorged and leak! Without BFing in public, I have a whopping one hour to do things--park, errands, whatever, between feeding and nap! So, BFing him is the only way to go. So far, I've only tried it twice--in the car, in the back of the parking lot, with the windshield shade up!

Moms, please share where you have BF'd your baby--good places and bad, and please let us in on recommendations on how to do this delicately--I'm pretty modest, I can't see myself doing it in the middle of the mall!

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

egoldber
10-21-2003, 11:50 AM
I think you might be surpirsed how many moms breastfeed at the mall! I always see several moms breastfeeding when I go to the mall. If your mall has a "play area" where older kids play and moms with younger babies hang out, I can guarantee there will be moms breastfeeding there! And lots of the major department stores (Nordstroms is especially breastfeeding friendly) have sofas and chairs in their ladies lounges where moms breastfeed.

And I think its important to remember that the average person is not paying attention to what you're doing with your baby. In fact, the average person is trying to avoid you and your baby as much as possible, LOL!!!

The hard part is latching. Once you're latched, you're usually all set. Practicing in front of a mirror is good. I think you'll be surprised at how little actually "shows".

But I have breastfed at:

the mall (all over)
the ladies lounge at Saks in Manhattan
numerous weddings
Barnes&Noble
in my car
restaurants of all types and sizes (chain places are really good because the're noisy and have tall walls between booths)
airplanes
friends house at the dinner table

HTH,

mharling
10-21-2003, 11:56 AM
This is a toughie. I've been doing it for a little while, but have just, over the last few weeks, gotten more confident about it. I have done it in a couple restaurants (but not with dh there; that's another hurdle, grrr..), in the mom's lounge at a department store, in the car (not moving!), on the plane and at playgroup. It's true that most people won't even notice what you're doing. I didn't even bother with a blanket or coverup and it was fine. Just wear a shirt that pulls up easily and you can use it to cover yourself. I will not, however, bf in front of dh's male friends or family. I just can't. In those scenarios, we give a bottle and I pump as soon as I can.

Good luck!! I know it's hard.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3524e54e42d - New 10/3

stillplayswithbarbies
10-21-2003, 12:02 PM
There are lots of moms breastfeeding at the mall. Some of them use a blanket or one of those nursing shawls to cover the baby. Most people don't even notice.

Next time you are at the mall, take a close look at the moms with babies, and you will see that some of them are breastfeeding and you couldn't even tell. It helped me to remember that I have a legal right to breastfeed in public. Even if I have to lift up my top and show my whole breast, I am allowed to do that according to the law. Not that I would do that, but it helped me remember that if someone sees part of my breast, it is their problem not mine because the law says I have the right to do this.

I've done it just about everywhere. I finally got to the point where I realized that no one was looking at me anyway. It's not like a siren goes off when that bra strap unsnaps. :)

Practice at home, like Beth said in front of a mirror. Then try it at a friend's house. Or go to a La Leche League meeting and do it there, everyone else will be too. Then go to the mall and pick a bench in an out of the way spot and go for it.

My best NIP was when I did it at dinner in a fancy restaurant at the table with my husband and his boss. And in the airport on a business trip with my coworkers, male and female.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Rachels
10-21-2003, 12:35 PM
There's nowhere I won't nurse at this point, and I've never gotten odd looks or comments. Quite the opposite-- people either don't notice or don't comment or give a thumbs-up. I was intimidated at first, but it got easier quickly and made our day so much more enjoyable! It helped to start where there were other nursing moms and to practice in front of the mirror. Then I branched out to baby stores and bookstores, then just anywhere. It helped me to think about how I was comforting my baby, which is not a location-specific activity. And to remember that I don't relegate myself to bathrooms and cars and places without other people in them for my meals-- and neither should my child. Hang in there! You can do it, and it will get so much easier.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Jen841
10-21-2003, 12:37 PM
You can do it! I NEVER thought I would breastfeed in a public place. My thoughts went out the door when DS was 2 weeks old and I was out to lunch with other Moms. My life changed that day, I breastfed my son at a restaurant/bar I used to frequent until the wee hours of the morning.

When you are out and about here are some places you may feed comfortable:
Dressing rooms
Womens restrooms with chairs
Mother's Rooms- BRU/IKEA

In the airports I have been spotted with other Mom's behind the wall by the check-in counters at the gates.

If I must do it some where very public I go to the least traffic area and put a blanket over me.

I am an out and about gal, so Jude was fed discretly all over the city of Chicago while I was on leave.

No one has ever said anything to me, or given me a nasty stare. I have received some nice smiles from Mother's. I assume they are remembering when they were in the same boat.

Amie
10-21-2003, 12:37 PM
It took a couple months before I could breastfeed outside. We were used to sitting indian style with a pillow on my lap, so sitting in a chair at the mall food court was a challenge. But it really is fine, and I BF at Oscar's welcoming picnic in front of everyone I know!

The best tip I can give you is wear a tank top and a shirt over it, both the same color (this is helpful for us NYers who only wear black anyhow.). Those spaghetti strap tanks are the best. You pull the shirt (or sweater) up and pull the tank neck down, and you can't see a thing, since the boob is out but covered by the baby and the shirt. I found nursing shirts to be useless. Slings are great too.

You will get some double-takes when people realize what you're doing, but no one will stare!

sntm
10-21-2003, 12:56 PM
we've gotten bold - i was so relieved that we continued BF that i was a little defiant. i've BF on a park bench at the downtown (open-air) mall, on the trail up to Monticello, on airplanes, at a wedding reception, in my back yard, at CVS while waiting for a script, at a casual sit-down restaurant, at the zoo outside the sea creatures building, in dressing rooms, AND in the main hallway of our mall with an oblivious elderly man in a nearby chair.

and in front of people ranging from complete strangers to my male neighbor and my FIL. i think the only people i would now feel uncomfortable BFing in front of would be by colleagues (but more just because it reminds them that i am a "girl")

it helps to sort of force yourself to be normal or matter-of-fact about it. once you put yourself in that frame of mind, it begins to feel normal or matter-of-fact. and i agree that most of the people who do notice either do a mild double-take and seem to feel guilty that they reacted even that strongly to it or are moms who give you a supportive smile. i think everyone would agree that you shouldn't have to run and hide with your baby when he gets hungry. formula-fed babies don't have to wait!

now, if only pumping in public was socially acceptable. getting tired of hiding out with that also -- would love to sit in the back of class or conference with the PIS going!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

houseof3boys
10-21-2003, 02:12 PM
I hear you Allison! Ryan is the same way with I only have an hour to an hour and a half (if I leave the house right after he nurses) to go run errands. I breastfeed all of the time at Nordstrom and it is no biggie and always talk to the other mommies in there breastfeeding so the time passes quickly. I have never done it in the car by myself but have done it with DH in the drivers seat a lot.

I always say I am going to just go do it in the middle of the mall or at a restaurant just so I can see how easy it is (since everyone says it is no biggie). But haven't as of yet.

If you want to go breastfeeding in public, I'll meet up with you at Perimeter or somewhere and we can get our feet wet together. :)

August Mom
10-21-2003, 02:13 PM
I consider myself very modest as well and it was hard for me to BF in public at first. But, if you want to be out and about and not stuck at home all the time you just need to do it. It will get easier the more times you do it. Now I'm not as nervous about it.

When I first started BFing outside the house, I fed DS in the backseat of the car with the windows covered. I then progressed to ladies lounges or bathrooms with chairs/sofas. I then found out that my local mall has nursing lounges in its public bathrooms - with gliders and everything. Breastfeeding at playgroup was probably the easiest because we were all trying to breastfeed and none of us were that good at it early on. I have also BFd in a dressing room one time when DS woke up and we were far away from everywhere else with no time to purchase my selections. I found that uncomfortable because there were no arms on the bench in the dressing room.

I have never BFd at the table in a restaurant or out in the main area of the mall, although I have seen others do so. I don't think I'll get to that point. Now, DS is usually content to eat snacks in a restaurant and before that, I always fed him before we got to the restaurant so he was in his very best mood. :)

I do BF in front of male family members, although I don't think I'd be comfortable doing it in front of male friends. I'm not sure because the situation has never presented itself. My boldest BFing in public experience was feeding DS in my seat at a professional football game. He lifted up the tail of my shirt. I was just hoping that I didn't see us on the big screen. :)

Really, once you get into practice, it won't be a big deal. You'll feel comfortable feeding DS whenever you need to. Good luck.

Dcclerk
10-21-2003, 02:24 PM
You can do it! I have absolutely shocked myself at all of the places I have NIP. I was terribly modest pre-DS and now I just laugh at how easily I feed him when we're out and about.

I definitely think that you should start slow (e.g. a dressing room, Nordstrom's lounge, etc.) No need to jump straight into the middle of the mall;). It also helped me tremendously to see how little could be seen by nursing in front of the mirror.

Once I got over the hurdle, though, there has been no stopping me... a museum, while walking and shopping in a mall, Disneyland, restaurants, the middle of the mall:) Like Shannon, I think the only place I wouldn't feel comfortable nursing in front of is my male colleagues.

You honestly will revel in your freedom once you aren't tethered to the clock. Good luck!

s7714
10-21-2003, 02:31 PM
I've BF'd in the backseat of my car and in some department store lounges, but that's about it. DD is such a distractible eater, that I know any attempts at loud/busy places would not result in a successful feeding. She loves to yank and kick my shirt every which way, so staying covered is always a constant tug-of-war. Plus, any loud noise and she whips her little head around so fast that milk goes flying! My favorite (lol) is when she comes off and I suddenly realize that I'm spraying milk all over the place. That could be a little embarrassing…”oh excuse me, I’m sorry but I didn’t mean to spray you with milk there…here, let me use my daughter’s spit up rag to wipe that off for you!” :+

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

deborah_r
10-21-2003, 02:42 PM
(Can I jump in with a question...)

Beth,

About the latching - I can get my DS to latch but when we're out he constantly unlatches and relatches, which he doesn't do much at home. He also sweats like crazy, even if we are in airconditioning, so a cover-up is never an option for me.

So while I am OK with BFing in public, he sure makes it difficult. When he unlatches it's like he leaves me flapping in the breeze!

alkagift
10-21-2003, 03:02 PM
You're on! Wait...I still need to work my way up to Nordstrom's!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, 5/19/03

lisams
10-21-2003, 06:21 PM
My DD is the exact same way! She pops off and looks in the direction of any sound leaving my breast hanging there for everyone to see. The first time she did that I started spraying and I thought it was a thread and kept trying to grab it until I realized my fingers were wet! Luckily she doesn't nurse as often now at 11 months (about every 4 hours).

Lisa

spu
10-21-2003, 06:42 PM
Hi Allison,

I'm still breastfeeding my 15month old babies - everywhere. And they both nurse alot, and with 2 babies, that's alot of nursing.

A few things helped me when nursing outside the home. First off, it's the best thing for your baby, and you only want the best, so who cares what other people think. Second, it's your right, so don't worry about anything. Third, it sets a good example for other moms or moms-to-be.

Wearing nursing shirts helps me alot since the babies like to lift up the fabric. With decent nursing shirts, you're still covered. I'm not a fan of hiding under a blanket since it draws alot of mysterious attention, so wearing the right clothes makes it look more natural. Most people don't even know what I'm doing.

Practicing infront of a mirror helps too. When I first started, I'd go to the restroom to latch on, and walk back to my table / seat. Malls are great places to nurse. There's benches all over the place. Sometimes I drink my water, or grab a snack at the same time and it's a nice break for you. Plus, if you're a little nervous, having something to read or eat takes your mind off being nervous.

Another big thing to keep in mind -- when you're at the mall during the day, who is also at the mall? other moms! So there's nothing to be nervous about.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

Tondi G
10-21-2003, 06:47 PM
I started out very modest and most of the time DS nursed i nthe car cause I could sit and put something under my arm and get him latched on correctly etc.... didn't have anyone watching me! I eventually got it all figured out and BFed any and everywhere!!! As DS got older I got it down to where I would get him latched on and just start walking.... wore sweaters that buttoned up (cardigans)or zipped up the front and it helped to have something to just kind of drape over DS's head! I got tired of having to stop everything I was doing to nurse ds in the car hidden away! It is your legal right to BF anywhere and it is a very natural thing.... lots of women BF in public and get really good at it you almost don't know the baby is nursing! A sling might be something you'd try?

A lot of places have ladies lounges or family restrooms with seating for nursing.... honestly I never BF my DS in a bathroom.... I wouldn't consider eating my lunch in a bathroom so why should he!!! You can always ask a store to let you use a changing room for nursing. Bring along a recieving blanket or shawl and just do it.... once you have you will realize how easy it is!!!! Good luck.. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason(2) and #2 edd 6/6/04

csa12
10-21-2003, 08:31 PM
I love reading the responses to this thread b/c it makes me feel like I am not the freak that I thought I was for being embarrassed at NIP. I was really modest pre-baby too ( I don't even think I would have worn a bathing suit in front of people--too risky!! LOL)
and the first few times when DS was a few weeks old I had a bit of trouble. But once DS and I both got the hang of nursing (positioning and latching on), I slowly NIP more.

I totally agree with what was said above about mindset. Once I told myself that this is something I have to do now for my baby and not to worry about other people it became a lot easier for me to do it.

Yes! The tank top under the t-shirt works so much better than a nursing top at least for me. Some other configurations that work are overalls and if you are going to wear a t-shirt I always like fitted better than loose t-shirts.

HTH and best of luck to you!!
Cheryl

doubleL
10-21-2003, 10:24 PM
I love this post. Like many others I was extremely uncomfortable BFing in public with my DS at first. I remember when DS was 3 weeks old being at a national park (Muir Woods for those of you in SF) with a more experienced mother who didn't understand why I couldn't BF along the main hiking trail. Went into a very small bathroom stall and was still mortified since DS was quite a noisy feeder. As if anyone else heard us :)

Yesterday had no problem whipping them out on the hayride at the local pumpkin patch.

My dad still gets miffed when he realizes all of a sudden I've been feeding DD for the past 10 minutes so I try not to freak him out too much. Never do it in front of MIL and FIL... issues.

It will come with time at your own comfort level. Good luck!

Lou
~DS 5.01
~DD 6.03

redhookmom
10-21-2003, 11:52 PM
Anywhere, anytime for me. I can barely remember being modest a couple of babies ago. For those of you whose modesty is fresh I have a question. What do you think of those women who just whip them out? Does it make you uncomfortable at all? I still wonder sometimes what others are thinking. Do you expect a certain amount of modesty from nursing Moms? I have become so comfortable with it I sometimes have to remind myself to be at least somewhat modest. I was having a converstation with a Dad at playgroup last week and just started nursing. After a few minutes I though OMG I'm flashing him. I don't think he cared one bit but it got me thinking.

Jessica

kwc
10-22-2003, 12:27 AM
I'm new at NIP (especially since DD is only 10 weeks) but as I go stir-crazy at home and DD refuses bottles of EBM, I've been forced out in the open early on... and so far, I've nursed mostly semi-in public: in the car, in the airport, on the plane, at friends houses, in dressing rooms.
This weekend was my big challenge... at a college football game! I actually stood outside the women's restroom area and was able to nurse standing up wearing DD in my sling (made according to Rev. Jan's pattern!) gazing out at the foothills! The only glitch was that people kept lining up behind me thinking I was creating a line for the bathroom (10-15 feet away from the door?). I kept having to turn around and direct people into the bathroom... no weird looks though many of the women (especially the older ones... ?formula generation?) seemed pretty caught off guard when they realized what I was doing ... when they weren't worrying that my baby would fall out of the sling! Hmmm... next time I will just try at my seat if there is enough room!
Like everyone else says, it gets easier with practice and ( for me, since the baby is still quite little) as your baby gets better head control. For me, using a sling with a black shirt (my sling is black on one side) makes it pretty hard to see what is happening unless you are really looking.
Good luck... you can do it!
To Shannon's idea of pumping in public... haha... it's so crazy looking, I can't even pump without staring at myself!!!
Karen

AngelaS
10-22-2003, 05:40 AM
I agree, you can breastfeed in public and you can do it modestly! :D I'm a very modest person but I managed to feed both of my children while out and about.

What helped me was working on being discreet at home even, so that I did it the same way every time and every time I was keeping myself covered. Certain clothes make this MUCH easier. I've NEVER owned a breastfeeding shirt. I usually wore a tee shirt type shirt, covered by a button front shirt that I left unbuttoned. The outer shirt was too keep my sides covered. :D And the tee shirt I would reach under, unhook, position myself and then lift it juuust enough to latch on the baby.

Also, nursing in public is easiest once baby's good at latching on (after that first month or two) and until they get mobile and REALLLY interested in what's going on around them.

Another tip is to not wait until they're starving and howling. If you sit down a few minutes BEFORE you know they need to eat, it's easier to latch on a 'starting to get hungry baby' than one that's starving. :)

I used LOTS of dressing rooms for nursing---Gap has nice ones, as does Lane Bryant and the bigger department stores. Walmart's are nasty but Target's are nice.

Our mall has some comfy loveseats throughout center and one day I sat in one, across from a 60+ year old man and nursed Gabrielle while sharing a pretzel with A. He and I had a lovely chat the entire time I nursed. He neither noticed nor cared and when his wife came back from shopping, she just told me what beautiful children I had. :)

sarita188
10-22-2003, 07:03 AM
I too love this thread! With my first, I rarely NIP - just too shy! Now with Emily, I'm all over it. DH is always shocked, as is my 13-year old stepson ("do you really need to whip 'em out here?"). So I don't nurse in front of the stepson anymore, but with DH I've taken the attitude that if Emily is hungry, then she needs to eat, whether I can find a private space or not.

I've found some nursing clothes that are great, and some that are a pain in the butt. The most public place I've nursed was while waiting for a table at Kahunaville - sittin on one of the rock walls by the entrance. Most people didn't even notice! DH came up with our 4 year old, saw what I was doing, turned around and bought more tokens to go play skeeball. Hey, whatever works!

I've also been pleasantly surprised at, while shopping, if she starts fussing the number of salesladies that offer a private spot or dressing room, "if you're nursing?". It's like this underground culture-club that we're now proud members of!

HTH!

=) Sarah
Emily 7/26/03 Spencer 6/99 Patrick 4/90

Mom2Miri
10-22-2003, 02:25 PM
I used to be very modest - until the hospital when it seemed like every nurse felt free to grab me to check my milk supply or tell me how to nurse. :)

I started only in the car or in Nordstrom's mothers room but have gotten comfortable nursing where needed. A quiet bench, under the trees at a park, at restaurants, aquariums, museums... I'm still fairly modest so I try to do it in fairly secluded spots but you never know. I thought I had found a quiet bench in a part of the aquarium that seemed deserted...and wouldn't you know it, as soon as I started, a group came in but when your baby is hungry you do what you need to do.

At restaurants, I've found you can create a bit of privacy for yourself by turning your chair towards a wall. I often put my stroller (hood up) in front of me in public places - it doesn't really hide me but gives me the illusion of privacy.

I've found people to be pretty supportive in general. Early on, I was in a crowded museum with a very hungry baby (not by choice). After looking all over, I saw that very few people were in the learning center. I screwed up my courage and asked if I could feed her in there. The young man in charge was a bit surprised but said yes. So I picked a corner, turned my back to the open doors and fed her.

It'll get easier - in the beginning I would have been mortified at what I'm willing to do now. :)

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

calebsmama03
10-23-2003, 10:36 AM
I'm with you! From day one I've been ready for a fight with anyone who challenged my right to BF my son whenever and wherever I wanted to. To this day, though, I've never had a problem. I cannot think of anyplace I HAVEN'T nursed and still after 7 1/2 months have never had a problem. I've found that IF people even realize what you're doing (as Beth said) they spend more time trying to get the heck out of there and avoid any eye (or boob) contact :) I have a maya type ring sling and often put DS in it to nurse so it is pretty discreet and I have nursed while shopping at Walmart, Sam's Club, Target, the mall, grocery stores - just about anywhere! Also nursed at the zoo, the children's museum, a baseball game (in the bleachers!), the park, restaurants, at work, the auto repair shop, etc.... With and without the sling. My DS also does the latch/unlatch thing. I find his head is still usually blocking the view but if not I just slip my shirt down, sit him up to look around for a few minutes then try to get him back to business. If he does this more than a few times I figure he's not really all that interested in eating just then so I close up shop and try again later! I think that using a blanket just brings MORE attention to what you're doing and draws more curiosity. I also find it hard to stay covered with a blanket. It does get way easier and pretty soon you'll think nothing of it. The way I look at it, even if someone DOES see "everything" 99% of the time I will never see this person again so who cares? Good Luck!!

Edited for typos and to add - if you are really uncomfortable, get some nursing shirts for when you'll have to BF in public, or try "twin sets" (layer a button down cardigan/sweater over a t shirt or tank top so you don't feel as exposed with your shirt pulled up!)
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

mommyj
10-23-2003, 06:01 PM
I was really shy about NIP at first, but now I'll pretty much nurse him anywhere. I decided if anyone has a problem with it, it's his/her problem and not mine. Nursing your baby is the most natural thing in the world, so who cares if someone sees your nipple if your baby unlatches. KWIM? That being said, it took me a while to get used to it. DS is a little over 3 months old, and I've nursed him at restaurants, in the car, on 4 flights (one in which I was sitting in the 1st row facing the rest of the passengers), at parks, while walking on trails, and in front of friends.
I've found it's easier to NIP without a blanket. DS just gets distracted and doesn't eat well when he's covered up. He did pretty well nursing in the Rebozo, which we did while I was walking. Usually I just pull up my shirt and feed him the same way I do at home. He unlatches a lot, but I just decided not to care if people see my nipple. I agree with the other moms who said most people don't notice what you're doing. I think it's especially true if you just relax and feed him without worrying too much. I found that when I was really worried about trying to cover up, it actually made nursing more of a production than it is if I just latch him on without worrying about blankets, etc.
HTH!

votre_ami03
10-23-2003, 06:48 PM
I was modest, then I was out w/a newbon who was screaming for milk. ;) I went into the dressing room at Sear's, "got situated" as I call it, covered Nolan w/a blankie & continued shopping. At first I was hesitant, but I saw another mom doing it & I said waht the heck!

In restaurants, I usually ask for a booth, they are a little more secluded. At the mall, I will use a dressing room. When I was traveling by car on vacation, I sat in the back seat of my car & nursed. When I had Nolan at my office, friends let me use their private office.

A mom's got to do what a mom's got to do!

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

C99
10-23-2003, 09:35 PM
Where haven't I breastfed is a better question!

At The Gap, while checking out (Nate was in a sling)
While walking through Stanford Shopping Center (Nate was in a sling)
At Bloomingdale's (Nate was in a sling)
At Lord & Taylor (Nate was in a sling)
In the dressing rooms of L&T, Ann Taylor, AT Loft, Old Navy, Marshall's, etc., etc.
At the airport
On the plane
In the library
At IKEA
At Whole Foods in the check-out line
At our local public park, on a bench
At many different cafes, restaurants and coffeehouses in and around Chicago
At baby yoga class
At baby music class
In the valet parking waiting room at the hospital
In the waiting room at the oil change place
In the car
At a farmer's market, outside
At a park by the Lake
At a roadside pumpkin patch and fruitstand, outside
At Wal-Mart, in the shoe aisle
At my brother's wedding reception
In one of those rest-stop courts at Woodfield Mall
At the Picture People -- both in the room and while waiting
In the back of the rented minivan with the door up in a parking garage

The only place that I wouldn't feel comfortable BFing in is at church. :) I've breastfed in front of my mother, my MIL, my father, my FIL, all 3 of my husband's grandparents, all of my husband's aunts and uncles, cousins, my sister, my brother, my SILs, my BILs, my BIL's boyfriend, friends, strangers, neighbors, kids -- everyone! And I've only gotten 1 negative comment from someone -- and then I dragged out the ol' NIP laws. :)

I wouldn't say that I am modest, but I don't flash anyone when I'm breastfeeding. It was harder when I was using a nipple shield (first 8 weeks), but I can flip up my shirt, flip down my bra and stick Nate on without anyone seeing anything -- and when he pops off to look at something now, I just pull down my shirt or cover my nipple with my hand.

HTH

mharling
10-23-2003, 10:02 PM
Very impressive Caroline!! Which sling did you find it easy to breastfeed with?

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3524e54e42d - New 10/3

lizamann
10-23-2003, 11:13 PM
I've nursed all over the place too, but my boldest move was while volunteering for a local charity at Whole Foods. I was standing at the front door, BFing dd in a sling, saying "Welcome to Whole Foods. 5% of your purchases today goes to..." and handing out leaflets. I'm not sure if any of the shoppers could tell, but I think some of the employees caught on. But now that I think about it, if you can't bf at Whole Foods, where can you??

It definitely gets easier the more you do it!

Someone I know actually was handed the following business card-like thing from a stranger thanking her for NIP. I think maybe I should get some!

http://www.attachmentscatalog.com/gifts/advocacy.html

sntm
10-24-2003, 09:32 AM
forgot that one! have BF at church also.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

stillplayswithbarbies
10-24-2003, 09:56 AM
I just remembered something I wrote to a friend when Logan was 2 months old, that pertains to this subject. This was my first business trip with Logan, the first time she flew on a plane, the first time I had to deal with going through security with all the baby gear.

I got to the airport an hour and a half before my flight. I knew she
would soon be hungry, but I was hoping to get through security first
and nurse her on the other side. The line was long and she was
hungry now. So I decided to try the sling, even though she has not
liked being in it anytime I tried it so far. Well, as soon as she
realized I was about to feed her, she was fine. I had her in the
sling, nursing, while I supported her with one hand and pushed the
stroller with her diaper bag and my computer backpack in it. I walked
through the whole security process while she nursed! I'm so proud of
myself. :) I even managed to take out my computer, send both bags
through the x-ray, AND break down the stroller and send it through,
all with one hand while she nursed. I was afraid they were going to
ask me to take off the sling and send it through the x-ray but they
let me just walk through while she was in it, still eating. I don't
think they realized what she was doing, or maybe they did.

This sling opens up a lot of possibilities for us. No longer will I
have to find a bench and sit down at the mall to nurse, I can keep
shopping. I don't have to find a way to prop my foot up to support
her on my lap, I just let the sling support her. This is so awesome.

So, get a sling, it really helps with nursing in public, especially when they are small enough to hide within the sling.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

trumansmom
10-24-2003, 10:07 AM
I was a little uneasy NIP at first as well. I got over it. But I always carried a lightweight receiving blanket to drape with. It just made me feel more comfortable.

The only time I was ever REALLY uncomfortable was at lunch with my boss. She was in town when DS was about 4 months old. She wanted to see him so we picked him up and took him to lunch with us. During lunch, he got hungry, so I picked him up, draped a blanket over us, started nursing, and continued my meal. My boss was so surprised that I was so matter of fact about it (she never had children), that she whipped out her camera and started taking pictures! Kind of blew my whole attempt at being discreet!!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

heva
10-24-2003, 02:32 PM
You go, grrl! I'm sure God doesn't mind.

BTW, I totally understand your reluctance to BF in front of our male colleagues, but isn't it ironic that all the guys in our lab are fathers and all of us are MDs? Stupid world...

stillplayswithbarbies
10-24-2003, 05:44 PM
>You go, grrl! I'm sure God doesn't mind.

Of course not, His son was breastfed!

(the Three Wise Men didn't bring frankencense and enfamil!)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

egoldber
10-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Wow! Breastfeeding while going through security... I can barely do that WITHOUT breastfeeding! LOL!!!

C99
10-24-2003, 10:13 PM
I only have one sling, the HotSlings.com pouch-style sling.

zen_bliss
10-27-2003, 04:53 AM
i am (i mean, WAS) kind of a prude and was sure i'd never have the guts to NIP. i figured i'd actually prepare bottles to take along. HA!

i agree with the other tips here: my rev. jan ringsling with tail, and a tank under your shirt gives you full-coverage peace of mind. i wear a sports tank with bra support as bra+tank in one. shirt pulled up, tank pulled down under the boob. it took awhile for me to get comfortable NIP in a pouch sling instead of relying on the tail for coverage, but i still prefer it.

i laughed when i read "where HAVEN'T i NIP?" too true! i have nursed her while pushing a stroller on the way home in the neighborhood when we've been out too long, in line at the post office (which totally blew the counter woman's mind "awww, she's sleeping." "nope, she's eating." "whoa! that's great! good for you!" and proceeded to call over all the other employees. so much for discretion :)), shopping just about everywhere, and during many restaurant meals. being able to walk and nurse beats the heck out of pulling over and sitting in the backseat. you'll get the hang of it! get out there and practice. and yep, nordstrom's is hands-down the best store for a BFing mom!

lilye13
10-27-2003, 12:41 PM
This all sounds so familiar. It's tough when it's a new thing to begin with -being a first time mom and all. It was hard for me to get the hang of it (b'feeding) in the beginning. Nicholas on the other was a quick learner. At first I just wasn't comfortable about the whole thing in public more so i think becasue he ate so frequently and for so long and I was still trying to get it right...latching on , positioning etc. nicholas is a big boy, was 9.4lbs and 2 weeks overdue when he was born, and now at 3 months he must be 15+ lbs( he was 14.4 at his 2month check up). Also I couldn't imagine being able to nurse him with out the glider, the boppy, the glass of water etc.....And then it changes as the weeks go by.
I still am modest about NIP but can see how my comfort level has changed the more you are just out and about and don't want to have to rush home or not go at all because someone has to eat. I started with the backseat of the car but then found there was not enough room with the car seat base and n. being a long baby his feet would get under the base and stuff- it was just not comfortable. The front seat was better but that was like giving a free demonstration to all. Now we have a bigger car with tinted windows in the back, not the front -yet?- so it's not an issue at all, I know that no matter what I can always feed him there. But I started out slow NIP, and really am in the beginning to middle stages of it I think. The first non-car place I went was the mother's room at the new BRU that opened near us and THAT really made a difference. It was dimly lit and there was a glider and changing tables and just me and mom and n. of course were there. I was very comfortable. It was great!
So after that I knew that no matter where we went in the area I could always nurse him in there on the way etc. (I know that sounds restrictive now but we all have to start somehwere). These were the things that helped me because it just wasn't my 'thing' to be all out there NIP. The second time I used the mothers room at BRU it was SO crowded it was so cool.. All these gals just hanging out - my first experience of a 'group feed' and that was a big turning point.
Now n. becomes easily distracted and doing his on and off latching thing, and can take a while sometimes. so I'm still not totally comfy with it in the big time public, at the table in a restaurant lets say, but that's just me and where I am now. But I did it on a plane with a nursing short and that worked just fine....granted hubby was on one side but there difference was how I felt when doing it( at ease) and not just the fact I was doing it. I can see how just the more you do it the more comfortable you are doing it. You get more stressed worrying about where you will be able to nurse that is really over takes the whole jounery out of the house. And overall I think it's more important to be comfortable nursing AND beingableto get out of the house:>. And it all falls into place. Some of us are comfortable under any circumstances and others are comfortable in only some circumstances- but that shouldn't matter since the best thing is that we are all breastfeeding in situations we are comfortable in and we all win then. On a side note I have to laugh when I read that I wasn't the only one with the problem of 'spraying' when baby pulls off. It was so funny the first time it happened to me, I too thought it was a thread and there I am trying to pull at it as n. gets it in the eye.....

didn't mean to go on so long here just wanted to share my in the middle point of view/experience ..........

thanks!
elizabeth mommie to nicholas
7/2/03