PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need to unplug!!!!

heidi_timms
10-22-2003, 01:26 AM
We are trying everything to unplug poor DD. She is so constipated that I think that her stomach hurts. When she does poop, it's hard as a rock.

This may be TMI, but often I have to help her poop. I take off her diaper to change it and I see that she is pushing. I hold her cheeks open so she can push things out. It's awful!!!

I have limited the rice cereal and I have been feeding her lots of fruits such as apricot/apple, pears, plums w/rice and veggies-carrots,squash, green beans w/rice, etc. to try and loosen things up. I also bought some Gerber prune/apple juice for her. She won't drink it diluted out of the bottle, but I try to mix it with her cereal or with another fruit. I think that I'm just not getting enough prune juice in her to help.

Any more ideas?????

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

millerpjm
10-22-2003, 04:59 AM
I would call your pediatrician to see if he/she has any suggestions. Other than that... I seem to get a lot of poops (and not so solid) when I feed DS peas. HTH

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas 2/3/03

Rachels
10-22-2003, 09:34 AM
Cut out the rice completely, as well as any veggies with rice mixed in. Rice is VERY constipating for many babies. Also, avoid apples and bananas until she feels better. For foods, try pears, peaches, prunes, or peas. If you have a health food store near you, get some aloe juice and give her a teaspoon or two by dropper. That will fix it.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

KimberleyDawn
10-22-2003, 11:57 AM
Rachel,
I was just going to suggest prune puree and switching to oat cereal and then you throw in the aloe juice! Is there any home or natural remedy you don't know (lol)!
Kim

heidi_timms
10-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Thank you for all of the great suggestions. We have a Whole Foods market here that I'm sure has the Aloe juice. Does anyone know if they sell prune baby food, or do you have to make your own by stewing the prunes?

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

Rachels
10-23-2003, 06:46 AM
They do sell prune puree, but it's also very easy to make your own-- just simmer them in water unil they're mushy and then blend. Try the aloe juice, though. I've never had to give it to Abby for more than two days before she unplugs.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

peanut4us
10-23-2003, 11:44 AM
Our daughter has the same "poopy" issues. When we see her really straining, we pop a thermometer in and it helps her a lot.

As far as the foods, we found out that Barley is supposed to be a great "clearer-outer". We mix it with pears and give her pear juice to drink. Carrots are also supposed to help get things moving. NO RICE at all. that is the worst. And let's see, no bananas or applesauce. That's about all. FWIW our ped just recently said that at her age, she shouldn't need help to poop 9 out of 10 times, so he gave her a prescription that we are supposed to give her. Since Sara "heard" about yet another medicine, she has had several "SPP"s (DH coined phrase: self-propelled poops!). And we have yet to give her the medicine. I guess she just took it as a threat! LOL. HTH