PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! At what age can baby use a sippy cup?

Lucy123
10-22-2003, 09:21 AM
Ryan is almost 21 weeks and his first tooth appeared yesterday, which explains why he WILL NOT EAT FROM THE BOTTLE!!! My only success in feeding him for the past couple days is when he is asleep. Otherwise it's a forcefeeding fight, which I always lose. The reason this is so urgent and not just a "let it pass" situation is because Ryan has PKU and must eat his food for the day, or his blood phenylalanine levels get out of "treatment range", which is bad. His nutritionist wants to wait another week or so to give him solids, although he is ready now (that's another rant I won't go into here). Do you experienced moms think he might take his formula from a sippy cup? He sits up unassisted both on the floor and in his high chair, and seems to be developing a preference for eating other than in someone's arms (like in a bouncy seat, reclined high chair, car seat, etc.) He doesn't yet feed himself from a bottle. I don't know what else to try.

By the way, sure seems like Ryan is a popular name this year!!

Lucy & Ryan 5/30/30

Rachels
10-22-2003, 09:36 AM
Try a regular cup. I bet you'll be surprised how quickly he gets the hang of it. My baby used a regular cup for five months before she figured out a sippy.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Dcclerk
10-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Though I'm not an experienced mom in this arena, I've received advice from a number of doctors, that going straight to a sippy cup is absolutely fine. (I had been concerned before going back to work that DS didn't like bottles.) In fact, my brother went from breastfeeding straight to a sippy cup with nary a bottle to be used. Come to think of it, so my did DS's "best friend". (Clearly a title given by the parents at this age!).

jayhjay
10-22-2003, 10:34 AM
I have friends whose kids wouldn't take a bottle and started a sippy cup at 4 months. My DD had trouble using them b/c they are so hard to suck (I tried!). I started her with the cups from First Years that have a snap on top with a spout rather than a valve (I call them "dribble cups" b/c liquid will dribble out of they are turned over but it doesn't just pour). THey sell them in a pack of four (red/yellow/green/blue). You might also try a regular sippy cup without a valve in it (those avent ones with handles are nice).

egoldber
10-22-2003, 12:35 PM
You might also want to try one of the straw type sippies. They re often easier to teach since babies don't need to suck as hard to get the liquid out. There is no need to use a sippy cupn at all. A straw or even a regular cup is fine.

Don't expect him to get a lot at first, but he will learn. And even newborns can learn to drink from a cup.

HTH,

MartiesMom2B
10-22-2003, 04:05 PM
DD hates the bottle too, but will drink from a regular cup. What I've done is used the small avent bottles and used that as a cup. I do have the Avent Soft spout, but DD doesn't really like it even with the valve out. I've gotten her a hard spout sippy from Wal-mart where the water comes out easier and she likes that too.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03