PDA

View Full Version : what kind of fats to feed baby?

spu
10-22-2003, 07:17 PM
What kinds of foods with fats do you feed your baby? I know babies need fat, and it's not that I'm trying to fatten them up, but just looking for healthy choices with the right kinds of fats. We're already eating avocado, whole fat yogurt, and tofu. Any other suggestions? They haven't had milk yet and can tolerate a a little bit of cheese at a time.

Rachel, how's Abigail doing? I know you learned alot from the nutritionist too. What are you doing food-wise for her these days?

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

kaitlinsmommy
10-24-2003, 08:46 PM
It sounds like you're feeding them the right things. My dd is pretty skinny so the dr. recommended I give her plenty of fat. I think avacado is a great choice (which I see you're doing). I also give her full-fat yogurt, cottage cheese, meat and mix butter & infant cereal in with her veggies. Don't know if this helps.

Rachels
10-25-2003, 07:24 AM
She's doing great! The Nexium seems to be helping her, and she is eating well for the first time since June. YAY! She also isn't choking or gasping anymore. She's teething like crazy, so unfortunately her sleep is still a mess, but it's not nearly as horrible as it was during the summer. She's also talking a blue streak, which is so wonderful that it mitigates my exhaustion. :)

I do try to up the fats in her diet whenever possible. She likes avocado, so that helps. I give her drinkable yogurt and spike it with heavy cream. If I scramble an egg, I add heavy cream and cook it in lots of butter. Her pasta or veggies always have lots of butter or olive oil. Basically, what I've learned is that you should do for babies the opposite of what you would do for yourself where fats are concerned. Don't hesitate and don't skimp.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02