PDA

View Full Version : Pumping

Jen in Chicago
10-23-2003, 10:56 AM
My pumping sessions are taking longer and longer to get the same or less. Is this normal? I am not pumping to the point of being dry b/c I don't have the time! I am considering renting a hospital pump, do you think that would help? I am using a PNS now.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-23-2003, 11:41 AM
Have you replaced the valves in your pump? It sounds like you are not getting as much suction as before, and that can be because the valve needs replaced.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Jen in Chicago
10-23-2003, 12:22 PM
I am borrowing it from a friend, but I don't see where a valve would be replaced. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Jen in Chicago
10-23-2003, 12:36 PM
I just went to the Medula website. Are you referring to the parts that attach to the horns that the bottles cover? I could do to where I bought my horns/tubing/etc. and replace those if it would make a difference.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-23-2003, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure, I have an Ameda Purely Yours, so mine is different. In the Medela, it is the yellow valves and white membranes.

Like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2354791215&category=20406

(not my auction, just the only place I know to show a pic of them alone)

If this is a used pump though, it could just be coming to the end of its life.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Jen in Chicago
10-23-2003, 02:05 PM
It seems like it is plugging away as it normally would. I'll try replacing the values. Last week I had some BAD pumping days. I fear my body is the problem, not the pump. The good part I guess is I am not tapping out, and still have milk in my at the end of the session. Work is so busy I can't spare more time. I want to get in and out of here as quickly as possible to get home to DS.

peanut4us
10-23-2003, 02:54 PM
The valves are the key. Actually they are called "membranes". THey are the little white rubbery flaps on the yellow plastic pieces. (For medela pumps)

This is where I found them for cheapest, on ebay, from this seller: the*leche*connection

Technically you are supposed to replace the membranes every month. I have found that I can go between 6-8 weeks before I notice a dip in my milk output because of the membranes. HTH.

Jen in Chicago
10-23-2003, 04:15 PM
Thanks! I actually have 2 sets of new spare parts. I bought them in the sealed containers at a garage sale this summer. The woman was a nurse and had them hanging around. I'll dig in tonight.

votre_ami03
10-23-2003, 06:52 PM
Jen, I just want to wish you luck! I am new to pumping & working & it can be such a trial on you.

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

C99
10-23-2003, 09:24 PM
Does the pumping go down over the course of the workweek or is it just bad all around? If it's the first one, it's likely because the pump cannot "trick" your breasts into thinking it's a suckling baby over the course of the week. If it's bad all-around, you may want to eat things to up your supply (fenugreek, oatmeal). I started my milk supply with a hospital grade pump (the Medela Lactina) and although the PIS was a little less efficient, it wasn't significantly so.

houseof3boys
10-24-2003, 09:06 PM
Joey how many times a day do you pump? I had no idea that the membranes needed to be replaced so often! I only pump once a day but I have been doing this for 4.5 months now so I'm just curious if mine should be replaced. I sent Medela an email asking but they replied to call them to discuss further.

What do you think?

Jen in Chicago
10-24-2003, 09:48 PM
You hit the nail on the head. It does get worse as the week progresses, but this week started off worse than usual. I just boiled new values and membranes. I'll try them on Monday. I can never successfully pump at home. I am starting to think after 2 months I am just a bad pumper!

Today due to being sad and stressed about pumping, and busy at work, I skipped my am pumping session. I did not hurt and the afternoon was not quicker or more productive. I hope the new parts work, if they do not I think I am going to cut back to one session a day at work and use what I have in the freezer. I will get some fenugreek PILLS too (I tried the tea and it tasted horrible.)

I am so stressed about this and I feel like I am giving in. I have made it 5 months!

C99
10-24-2003, 10:01 PM
Oh yeah, try the capsules. My LC told me to take 9 capsules/day (3 each time), but I found that 3/day really increased my supply. I pumped for 3 months while working and I *hated* it, so I hear you. My baby stopped taking a bottle at the tail end of those 3 months (and then I quit), so I only pump now when I'm engorged.