PDA

View Full Version : ow, ow, ow--plugged duct back

peanut4us
10-23-2003, 11:33 AM
Same place, same breast. I am still taking the lecithin, but it came back anyway. Anything else I can do? Sara has been very bizarre in her eating habits the last few days, one day she eats everything in sight, then next practically nothing. Help!

I also noticed that since the last time I had a plugged duct I only pump about half on the affected breast as what I pump on the other. Is this normal? Will this always be this way now?

cinrein
10-23-2003, 12:38 PM
I almost always get a plugged duct in the same breast when Anna gets weird with her feedings. And yes, I do take lecithin faithfully.

What works for me is heat, then pumping/nursing. While pumping/nursing, apply gently pressure behind the plug to push it toward the nipple. The baby works better than the pump, but if the baby isn't cooperating then by all means use your pump. If all else fails, get into a warm shower and massage the breast.

Not sure about how it affects your output. I always get plugs in the breast that doesn't "make" as much as the other one. I do notice a drop in output when I have a plug, but it goes back up once the plug is gone.

Good luck. Hopefully you can get rid of it today!

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

Momof3Labs
10-23-2003, 01:53 PM
If you are getting a plug in the same location repeatedly, it might be your bra, a purse strap, or the way you are holding Sara (or even from your sleeping position).

But bizarre eating habits will do it, too. Is she teething?

Your pumping output should balance out again when the plug is resolved.

Warm compresses, lecithin, and drink lots and lots of water! Good luck!

puglucy
10-25-2003, 08:16 AM
Sounds like the "bizarre" eating habits are creating supply issues for you, which leads to the plugs. If you're really diligent about pumping on the days when she's not eating much, that may help you avoid them. It's really hard when things are inconsistent.

And, yes the affected breast's supply will come back. I think what happens is that -- while there's a plug -- the milk is trapped in there, & the breast doesn't make more bc it's not being emptied. So it has to re-learn that more milk is needed.

good luck!

Lucy
mama to Alex 3/18/03