PDA

View Full Version : Rachel - Were you there yesterday?

kfcboston
10-24-2003, 06:20 AM
From the Boston Herald.........

Moms milk sympathy for breastfeed law

by Elisabeth J. Beardsley
Friday, October 24, 2003

Yeemay Miller said she couldn't believe it when a clothing store manager gave her the ``criminal'' treatment and then tossed her out when she tried to breastfeed her baby during a shopping excursion.

After all, the Quincy woman said, she was already sitting on the floor, hiding underneath a clothing rack in an attempt to feed the hungry infant without causing a public ruckus.

``(The manager) didn't budge and made me feel like I was doing some kind of criminal act,'' Miller told lawmakers yesterday. ``I left the store shaking. I was just trying to meet the basic needs of my baby.''

Calling for a new law to explicitly allow public breastfeeding - which is not actually illegal in Massachusetts - a group of mothers told lawmakers yesterday that fear of persecution keeps them from riding the T or taking their babies to public events.

Pediatricians decried a widespread squeamishness that discourages breastfeeding, which studies have shown is much better for the baby than bottles, and reduces the mother's risk of breast cancer.

``No more excuses,'' said Dr. Barbara L. Philipp, a professor at Boston University School of Medicine. ``Let's make it clear that breastfeeding is not a form of indecent exposure or lewd behavior.''

The signs seemed good for the movement yesterday on Beacon Hill, where nobody batted an eye when Virginia Schnee of Auburn breastfed 5-month-old Sarah in the State House's Gardner Auditorium.

That wasn't the case when Schnee tried to feed the baby girl at a recent assembly at her young son's school - prompting a phone call the next day from the principal, who said the family was no longer welcome.

``Nobody seemed to mind,'' Schnee said of her State House breastfeeding experience yesterday. ``I'm still nervous. I'm afraid someone is going to say something that condemns me.''

Twenty-eight states have laws allowing public breastfeeding.

spu
10-24-2003, 09:06 AM
What an interesting article! I cant imagine hiding under a clothes rack to nurse my baby. I'd love the opportunity to meet up with a manager like this! esp. with 2 babies! I wonder if there is a way we could find out what store she was at and we could all go over and bring our babies!

on a side note... I've received only positive comments from store / restaurant personnel whenever I've been nursing. Most people are really accommodating to me and recognize how nicely it quiets a fussy baby!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

sunny2003
10-24-2003, 04:28 PM
wow - wonder where and what the store was in order to boycott it!

Viv
Mommy to Kayley born on 4/28/03

Rachels
10-24-2003, 06:54 PM
No,I didn't know about it! Bummer. I would have gone. Susan, I'll join you for a nurse-in! :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02