PDA

View Full Version : Help for the pumping impaired...

pritchettzoo
10-25-2003, 03:48 PM
I'm trying to pump enough to be able to give DD a bottle once a day or so just in case I get run over by a bus. I'll also be looking for PT work after the holidays, so she'll need to take a bottle then and I will need to know how to pump.

I still have the Medela Lactina Select, but I'm turning it in and getting a PIS Traveler next week. I just started trying this on Thursday or so, and I have been pumping both sides after her morning feeding (on the days when I can get her to go back to sleep) and then a couple of other times throughout the day after feedings. So far the most I have gotten is 1 oz out of one breast.

1. The LC told me not to pump more than 15 minutes, but I have been stopping after there's a period of no milk coming out. Should I keep going?

2. I have been starting out on low speed and moving up to a med-high speed, but the maximum hurts. Should I tough it out or does that make a difference?

3. Initially I was having a problem with milk going up the horns and wasting everywhere. I tried using larger horns, but I still get the same problem. I'm leaning forward a bit, but some of the areola gets sucked up inside the horn. Milk seems to get sucked into the horn area at this time and then collects inside the horn until it eventually leaks out. I stop periodically to dry everything off and that stops the problem for a little while. Is the horn too large? Should any areola be sucked up in the tube thingy? Help!

Any other suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you oh great pumping gurus!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

stillplayswithbarbies
10-25-2003, 05:01 PM
Pumping after she eats and getting an ounce is great! You would get more if you pump right before she eats. She will still get milk, the breast keeps making milk as long as she is suckling. I have been doing this since Logan was about 5 weeks old. I pump both sides and then immediately afterwards, I feed her.

The way a pump works is by drawing enough of your areola into the tube to compress the milk sinuses similar to the way your baby does. So, it should draw your nipple/areola into the tube so that the place where your baby's gums compress you is about at the back edge of the tube. If your horns are too small, it can't get enough in there and milk will back up in the horns, or you won't get as much milk out.

You do have to lean forward. If you sit up straight or lean back, milk will come into the horns. Especially if you have large breasts that hang down. (sorry, I don't know a nice way to say that LOL)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

houseof3boys
10-25-2003, 08:08 PM
Anna as Karen said you definitely need to lean forward since you are well endowed (I remember the "honey what does this G stand for" from Bryan) or the milk just collects in the horns and will leak. I used to pump for 15 minutes and now I pump for 20 since my milk supply is well established after 4.5 months. The LC's told me to pump for 15 minutes max when they saw me spray Ryan in the face with milk when we were in their office.

Hopefully the queen (Lori of momof3labs) will answer your post since she is quite knowledgeable on the low speed/high speed question. I have the PIS traveler and I use the 2nd fastest speed and if I have the suction on half way I feel like I am going to cry it hurts so much. So I have it about 40% and that is tolerable for me. You defintely get more milk out with more suction (or at least I do) but then it hurts me afterwards and I am a wuss.

Oh yeah, even though no milk comes out when you are pumping if you just keep pumping it will come out again when you have another let-down. There are a few posts on this but I tried to find them and couldn't...sorry!

Pumping is a learned skill that gets much easier with practice. :P

Momof3Labs
10-25-2003, 09:29 PM
LOL...

Start pumping on high speed, and the lowest suction. When the milk starts flowing, switch to low speed and the highest suction that you can tolerate (you should not be in pain). This simluates baby's sucking pattern fairly well, and helped my pumping production go from 3oz, both breasts, to 8-9oz, both breasts. Granted, I was pumping every night at the same time and trained my body to produce that much every time.

And definitely wait for a second letdown. Once you are used to pumping, 2-3 letdowns is common.

Of course, there are always the classic suggestions of relaxing, visualize your baby (or smell one of her blankets), and such. Letting down to a pump is not as easy as letting down for a baby! It is truly learned, so give yourself time to get used to it.

heva
10-28-2003, 11:29 AM
I must thank you profusely for this post! I had only been getting about 3 oz both breasts. After following your suggestions, I can now reliably get 5.5 oz. from one breast every morning while DS works on the other one :) Yea!

deborah_r
10-28-2003, 12:36 PM
I don't have any advice, because I am an Isis girl, but I just want to say this thread is great to read while pumping. I have been such a pumping slacker lately, I can't remember last time I pumped, and I just got 6 ounces with no problem!

Anna, I hope you have some luck with the suggestions people have given here!