PDA

View Full Version : How many bottles would u buy if planning on breastfeeding

TraciG
10-26-2003, 05:41 PM
Just in case u dont have milk or have to supplement ? I have a small pack of 3 Dr. Brown's & another 3 pack of Evenflo, is this enough just in case ??

lizajane
10-26-2003, 07:35 PM
first, if you plan to breastfeed, don't plan to supplement! if your baby needs more milk, the best way to get it for him/her is to nurse a whole lot for a day or two and your body will adjust and make more. if you supplement, your body will think it is making plenty of milk and you will have a hard time breaking the supplementing cycle.

stepping down off soapbox... sorry...

you have plenty of bottles. i hear great things about dr browns, but use avent myself. if you do have a medical necessity for supplementing, 6 bottles should be just fine. i only own 3 bottles, 2 reusable and the disposable system that i use for pumping. ds is 7 months old and we have never needed more than 3.

COElizabeth
10-26-2003, 08:30 PM
I agree that if you want to nurse your baby, you should be confident that you will be able to do so! But to answer your question, I think that's plenty of bottles to start with. If they don't work, you can try other kinds, and if they do and you find yourself needing more, you can always get more later.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

egoldber
10-26-2003, 08:49 PM
That's more than enough. Honestly, if I were doing it all over again, I wouldn't even have any bottles in the house for the first few weeks.

HTH,

stillplayswithbarbies
10-26-2003, 09:13 PM
That will be more than enough. All women, with the exception of very few who have had breast surgery, have milk to feed their babies. Needing to supplement is very rare, and in fact supplementing can cause your body to make less milk because it thinks you don't need it.

There is no reason to have any bottles in the house at first, and they are only needed later if you are going back to work.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

TraciG
10-26-2003, 11:50 PM
I just worry because I have breast implants, hoping I will have the milk, doctor's say if I could have breastfed before surgery I will still be able to, let's hope he is right !!!!!!!!!!!!

sntm
10-27-2003, 08:41 AM
uswually not a problem w/ breast implants, just breast reduction. do you know if yours were above the muscle or below? (sorry for typos, pumping)

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

momma_boo
10-27-2003, 10:04 AM
I had a 3 pack of the 4 oz Dr. Brown's bottles and that was more than enough. I only had to get some more bottles when I went back to work and DD was drinking more per feeding, so I had to get the larger bottles. Currently we have 2 for the daycare and have 2 at home.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-27-2003, 11:46 AM
here are some articles about breastfeeding with implants. It looks like you will be fine!

http://www.kellymom.com/meds/mom-activities.html#implants

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

TraciG
10-28-2003, 02:44 AM
I have under the muscle, areolar incision.

sntm
10-28-2003, 09:07 AM
That should be least likely to disrupt any of the ducts. I wouldn't worry about the implants affecting your ability to breastfeed. Good luck!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

bunnisa
10-28-2003, 09:38 AM
I have a 3-pack of Dr. Brown's wide mouth (one 8-oz and two 4-oz). I went back to work for a few weeks, and during that time I nursed in the morning right before I left, came home for lunch to nurse, DH gave DS a bottle of expressed milk in the afternoon (DH works from home, happy us!), then I nursed again as soon as I got home. So the two 4 oz bottles were more than enough. As an aside, we really liked the Dr. Brown's.

Around 3 months of age, DS started refusing the bottle. He wouldn't scream, he just wouldn't take it. He'd wait patiently until I got home. And now I'm home permanently, so we haven't used a bottle in a long time. (he has even refused it when my parents were babysitting him!) It's not uncommon for this to happen, so I suggest you don't "stock up".

I do, however, recommend you buy a pack of storage bottles. They're really handy for when you pump. Get cheap ones -- they work just as well as the more expensive Avent.

Wishing you well!

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric (Wilkes)
6/16/03

jec2
10-31-2003, 10:52 PM
My babe is two weeks old and I have yet to own a bottle or a pump. Before baby arrived, I was sort of concerned about not having these but am now so glad that I didn't have access to them. I had a few very exhausting days of BF and had I had any devices in the house, I might have used them! So, like the others have said, assume you will be successful at BF and limit your access to the bottles. Chances are you don't live too far away from a store that sells bottles if you find you are in need of something you don't have.