PDA

View Full Version : which pump & when to pump?

PJAlama
10-26-2003, 06:19 PM
I am thinking of buying a pump so I can replace the occasional feeding with a bottle, both to give myself flexibility to go out & just to give my sore nipples a break. Which pump would people recommend? And how do you fit in pumping when you have to feed a baby so frequently?
Thanks,
Pauline
Mom to Sean, born 9/18/03

lizajane
10-26-2003, 07:30 PM
for occasional pumping for a SAHM, i would definitely recommend the avent isis manual pump. i am SURE others will agree. it is about $50. target has them. i am crazy about mine.

i pump at night after ds has gone to bed for the night. but when he was younger, i pumped during his longest nap. you will have the most milk in the morning, so i would start with a morning nap. i had ds on an eat, play, sleep schedule. so i waited until he was one hour into a two-three hour nap. but if you nurse to sleep, you might want to do it closer to when he is about the wake to have a larger supply.

after you add a pumping session for a few days, your body will adjust and will add milk for that session.

COElizabeth
10-26-2003, 08:25 PM
I'll second the Isis recommendation. Also, be patient! It can take a long time to figure out how to position a pump and how to get it to work for you. The Isis took me a few tries, but it worked better than the other two pumps I tried, including one that cost more than 5 times as much!

When I was trying to build up a small supply for occasional bottle feedings, I just pumped whenever DS went longer than usual between feeding sessions or when I felt especially full. I also pumped early in the morning sometimes. I never had a set time for it, but if you do, your body should get used to that.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

stillplayswithbarbies
10-26-2003, 09:15 PM
Avent Isis! Even though I pump at work with an Ameda Purely Yours, I still use my Isis at home because it is more comfortable.

You can pump in the morning before baby wakes up, when your prolactin levels are the highest. Or you can pump on one side and feed the baby on the other, at the same time, or just before or just after.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

megulis
10-26-2003, 10:05 PM
I use the Whisper Wear Single Pump ( http://www.whisperwear.com ) which I bought for a great price at Lil Bunz ( http://www.lilbunz.com ). It is hands free. Although there is a learning curve, it is well worth it! I pump while I am feeding ds first thing in the morning or when I feel the most engorged. It is more expensive than the Avent Isis, but I think with a newborn the time saved is well worth the extra price. Time is so precious!

deborah_r
10-26-2003, 10:56 PM
I can recommend the Avent Isis too, although that hands free one does sound pretty good!

megulis
10-27-2003, 12:43 AM
I have heard great things about the Avent Isis too, but I just wanted to throw in another option. :) Hope whatever you decide on works well for your needs!