PDA

View Full Version : Another pumping question...

todzwife
10-26-2003, 08:52 PM
So how much should I pump??? I would like to have a little bit of a freezer stash just in case, but I read that since a baby's nutritional needs change that it isn't as beneficial to give them pumped milk that is say a month old...I have plenty of milk right now, and would like to "take advantage" of my supply...so should I pump and freeze a days worth? 2 days? I plan on introducing a bottle around 5 weeks just to get him familiar with it, I would just assume pumping right before the time when he would be getting hungry to give hime a bottle of nice warm fresh milk, but a freezer "stash" sounds like a good idea...oh! And I won't be working, I get to stay home with my little one! So I don't need a huge stash. And how long can I keep it in the fridge? Thanks!

C99
10-26-2003, 09:04 PM
Every book/site I've read recommends different numbers, but I go by these guidelines for keeping an EBM stash: up to 8 hours freshly pumped and outside, up to 1 week in the fridge, up to 3 months in the freezer.

While it's true that breastmilk changes over time as your baby grows, it's better than formula. Until your baby is 6-weeks-old or so, your milk supply is still regulating itself. Dallin is about 3-weeks-old now, so that is about time for a growth spurt -- he'll eat all the time to increase your supply. If you find yourself with full breasts just after he's eaten, go ahead and pump a bit out for your "freezer stash." But really, at this point, I wouldn't worry too much about pumping.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-26-2003, 09:11 PM
you don't want to pump too much, or it will stimulate you to have an oversupply. But I think you should take advantage of it and get some in the freezer now. You never know when something will come up and having a freezer stash may let you go visit a sick friend or something.

Yes, breastmilk does change as the baby grows, and even adjusts to what they need that very day as far as antibodies etc. When I feed Logan from the freezer stash (three days a week at the babysitter), I also make sure to send a freshly pumped bottle from that morning. Three month old breastmilk is still better for her than formula. :)

If you have a deep freeze, it will keep 6 months. You'll want to have some later when he starts solids for mixing with cereal and thinning the pureed fruits and veggies.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Momof3Labs
10-26-2003, 09:47 PM
I've had no problem keeping EBM in my regular freezer for 4-5 months. The 3 month date is on the conservative side, IMO... I've heard 6 months, too, and that seems more consistent with my experience.

I think that the changes in nutritional composition becomes much more of an issue if you are pumping exclusively or the majority of the time. For an occasional bottle (or even a few bottles), it won't make a bit of difference, and as everyone else said, it is still better than formula!