PDA

View Full Version : what's going on? please help!

denvergal
10-27-2003, 09:13 AM
I am beyond frustrated. ds is now 9 weeks old and from day one i've had such issues with breastfeeding. i thought up until a few days ago that i didn't have enough milk but i realized just recently that my breasts aren't empty. they feel full but i can't let down alot of the time. i tried the pump (i have the pis) and that used to work but now that's stopped working on me. i feel like such a failure and i really really really don't want to give up but i feel so bad when baby is crying and i can't feed him! why can't i even let down to a crying baby, my own child? i have to supplement with formula which he hates so i have to wait until he's so hungry that he's screaming before he'll even consider taking it. i feel so bad each and every single time!

i've tried, fenugreek (2 capsules 4 times a day), tons of water, pumping after every feed (which was such a pain but sucked it up and did it anyway). i read about people freezing milk and that just shocks me. i can't imagine ever being able to do that. i wish i could. although it may not be much. i think the production is there but i just can't always let down. why? i know that much of it is psyhological but how can i get past this? i'm not in any kind of physical pain so i don't believe that it's an infection. you ladies are so knowledgable i'm crossing my fingers and hoping that someone will be able to tell me the problem and offer a solution. please help. i'm so desperate at this point. it seems like it's getting worse. what can i do? what's the problem? i'm so sorry that i am repeating myself and rambling but it's really early and i had such an unsuccessful time with the feeds last night. please help!

peanut4us
10-27-2003, 10:25 AM
run, don't walk, to the nearest La Leche group or lactation consultant. Do this today, this morning. They will be able to help you figure out what is going on and help you fix it. Good luck.

COElizabeth
10-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Agreed! This isn't your fault! Maybe your baby has a poor latch or something like that which is inhibiting him from providing the stimulation needed to produce a letdown. If you are in Denver (guessing from your screen name), you can call the Rose Lactation Program. I have had only phone consultations with them on medication issues, so I don't know how the consultants are in person, but I just wanted to suggest a name in case you didn't have one. There are also several La Leche groups in the metro area (I am in Denver, too). Let me know if you need help finding someone!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

stillplayswithbarbies
10-27-2003, 11:43 AM
I agree with the previous suggestions to see a Lactation Consultant and/or contact La Leche League immediately.

Also see this link for some suggestions to help with letdown:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/letdown.html

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

sntm
10-27-2003, 12:52 PM
oh, hon, definitely see somebody and if they don't help, see somebody else. it can be so difficult, especially when you are alone trying to figure out what's wrong. i remember wanting to give up, feeling desparate, all of it, and it is sooooooooo much better now, but it took a lot of work and 3 LC to get there. and the stress of a crying baby can definitely impede your let-down.

if you ever need to talk, email me and i will give you my number.
[email protected]

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

denvergal
10-27-2003, 06:56 PM
i made an appointment with a lc for tomorrow. thank you all so much for the support. you all are so kind and caring! it's nice to know that there are others that can empathize with you because of similar experiences. i'm crossing my fingers that she'll be able to help me. thank you everyone for being so kind and supportive!