PDA

View Full Version : Ped suggested Fenugreek or Beer

Jen in Chicago
10-27-2003, 09:44 AM
Is beer as good as Fenugreek for boosting production? Maybe Ped just saw how stressed I was and thought I needed a beer. I am not dry, but I would like to produce more.

No one told me breastfeeding would be so stressful!

puglucy
10-27-2003, 10:14 AM
<<Is beer as good as Fenugreek for boosting production? >>

I doubt it. But i don't think an occasional one will hurt, & some people do think it helps.

So sorry it's so stressful! On top of everything else, that's a lot of stress. Get help, try to get some rest. I hope it's better soon!

Lucy
mama to Alex 3/18/03

C99
10-27-2003, 10:55 AM
Beer can relax you and encourage let-down. Fenugreek is good for boosting supply.

DebbieJ
10-27-2003, 12:39 PM
DO NOT DRINK BEER TO BOOST YOUR SUPPLY!!!

Beer is a diuretic--it will not help. You need to drink more water. Some people confuse beer and brewer's yeast, which can boost your supply.

That said, some beer or wine *may* help you relax, which will encourage let-down.

Fenugreek is a good place to start. You have to take enough for your sweat to smell sweet like maple syrup.

Deb in Los Angeles, CA
#1 due 12/4/03

nohomama
10-27-2003, 01:27 PM
The whole rationale behind beer being good for establishing/boosting milk production is that it's high in B vitamins (particularly dark beer) which can be beneficial. That said, taking a supplement or adding brewers yeast to your food are both probably more effective ways of getting those B vitamins.

Considering how stressed you sound, it may be that your ped suggested you drinking a beer as a way to help you unwind. In moderation it's probably not a bad idea. When I was nursing I enjoyed either a glass of wine or a beer every once in awhile. While I didn't notice any significant effect on my milk supply, it was certainly good for my soul. As Debbie mentioned though, alcohol is a diuretic so if you over indulge you may find your supply diminished because of dehydration. So remember, moderation is key.

sweetbasil
10-27-2003, 01:35 PM
I've had great experiences with Fenugreek and don't hesitate to recommend it to my friends who are nursing- for when they see a decrease in milk supply. I buy mine at GNC....

Best wishes,

DebbieJ
10-27-2003, 02:59 PM
I should have posted this last time.

A link for some herbal remedies to boost your supply.
http://www.bfar.org/galactagogues.shtml

Deb in Los Angeles, CA
#1 due 12/4/03

votre_ami03
10-27-2003, 03:40 PM
My OB told me to drink beer for my milk to come in while I was in the hosp., he even suggested DH smuggle one in. I wouldn't over do it, at the most I have 2 in one night. Dark beer does work best (I like Amber Bock).

I have heard several ppl mention Fenugreek too.

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

sntm
10-28-2003, 09:12 AM
Interesting factoid:

The Irish equivalent of WIC used to give nursing moms certificates for Guinness.

Wonder how many daddies ended up at the pubs with those.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

votre_ami03
10-28-2003, 04:25 PM
That is interesting Shannon! I know my Dh would of been one. ;)

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

Rachels
10-28-2003, 04:59 PM
Here's another really good resource to get ideas on increasing supply:
http://www.drjaygordon.com/bf/galact.htm

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02