PDA

View Full Version : So I am thinking it is a milk sensitivity...

todzwife
10-27-2003, 03:18 PM
DS seems so uncomfortable, gassy and fussy after eating. He has the "ring" rash despite aquaphor and desitin. I spent 2 hours up with him after his 1 AM feeding trying to get him to burp enough that he stopped squirming. As soon as I lay him on his back he spits up...not a lot, but it happens a lot. I ended up putting him in his swing all night so that he was sitting up. I feel so bad! I don't think it is anything else in my diet. I gave him "little tummies" gas drops. Should I get Mylicon? Is that any better? I am so frustrated because he was such a happy little guy and now he whines and grunts all day. Does this sound like a milk problem? And I just ate frozen yogurt...argh! Please help. :( What foods do I need to eliminate? Milk...yogurt? Cheese? Thanks.

jennifer13
10-27-2003, 05:11 PM
There's another thread going on about milk sensitivity in older babies so you should check that out...

I had the same situation, when DD was about 4 weeks old she got very gassy and fussy. I eliminated all dairy from my diet- cheese, milk, yogurt (soft serve frozen yogurt and soft serve ice cream really seemed to trigger spitting up/throwing up). It SUCKED, but it worked. DD is now 5 months and I have reintroduced dairy into my diet and she seems fine, apparently they grow out of it. Younger babies can have a sensitivity to dairy without being lactose intolerent or having a milk allery. And I found Gerber gas drops worked better than milicon, FWIW. Try eliminating all dairy from your diet for a week and see if it helps. Good luck!

mamahill
10-27-2003, 06:49 PM
Hi Shandelle! I don't come into this forum very often any more, but saw your post and wanted to share our early experience. Ainsleigh slept in her infant seat for the first 2 months because, like Dallin, as soon as we would lay her down, she would spit up (or squirm and cry until she spit up). I know how frustrating that can be! The ped said that since she was early, most likely her system was having a little trouble developing and maturing, and to let her sleep in her infant seat until she was 2-3 months old. That way, her elevated head allowed the gas to escape and she could still sleep. During the day she would sleep in the swing a lot. I know some people don't like that (something about flat heads - but wouldn't that be the same as laying flat on their back?), but if it's sleeping in her infant seat or not sleeping, I'll take the infant seat any day.

Also, Ainsleigh was easily overstimulated, leading to similar gassy issues, so we swaddled her pretty tight. I don't know if you've tried that. Some babies hate it. Ainsleigh looooved it.

As far as foods go, I'd say reduce the acidic foods (tomatoes), and I think I remember someone saying broccoli? Perhaps reduce your milk-product intake, but I'd say try reducing before entirely eliminating. The diet Rachel and Tammy had to go on sounded positively awful.

Hope things get better soon. It's hard seeing them so uncomfortable. Oh, and I'd say go ahead with the Mylicon. Give him a dose, and then follow it with another dose 30 mins later. That's what my ped said to do. It seemed to help a little.

todzwife
10-27-2003, 07:10 PM
Thank you ladies. I thought that maybe his fussiness today could have been from the lasagna I ate last night. I will try eliminating that kind of stuff first before all the milk products. My little brother slept in his car seat too. My mom was the one who suggested the swing. Good to know that I am not the only one who has had to do this. :)

jennifer13
10-27-2003, 10:51 PM
We did the car seat too! Also my ped said there's no way to overdose on the milicon/gas drops, and to use a big dose to that upper line instead of the lower line. Sometimes it really helped, sometimes it didn't.