PDA

View Full Version : What age for raisins?

hjdong
10-27-2003, 08:24 PM
Hi all - I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what age raisins are safe? I'm looking for high iron foods to bring to China for my currently 15 month old son (we expect him to be about 18 months when we travel). His last medical records (at 5 months) show him as anemic, so I'm looking for high iron foods. I already plan to take rice cereal. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

egoldber
10-27-2003, 09:23 PM
Personally, I think its fine to give an 18 month old raisins. But be careful with how many!! Also, he may not like them if he has never had them before. My DD has never acquired a taste for them, or any dried fruit.

HTH,

cara1
10-28-2003, 01:12 PM
DS LOVES raisins! The first time he ate them, he was about 1 year, and it was when I wasn't home, so I was unhappy. I was worried he'd choke. But he didn't. However, I don't know if he chews them. Because they always come out whole on the other end. Lately (he's 20 mos) he's been digesting them better. But this kid goes into the cabinet himself when we forget to lock it, takes out the raisin container, and goes to work. It's pretty funny. Craisins, although not a favorite at first, now are equally enjoyable.

BonnieV
10-28-2003, 07:47 PM
I read somewhere that you should cut raisins in half as they plump when they get wet creating a choking hazard.

Bonnie