PDA

View Full Version : Painting while breastfeeding

KGoes
10-28-2003, 03:47 PM
Is anyone aware of any prohibition against being around paint/stain fumes while breastfeeding? I have read the cautions about such exposure while pregnant, but see no references to whether or not these chemicals would be passed through breast milk. This query is partly out of an abundance of caution and partly to see if /i will be transferring chores to DH! ;)
Thank you!
Kelley
Mom to Grace - 27/30/03 - and her two dogs

farsk
10-28-2003, 04:32 PM
Kelley,

I don't have any answers for you, but I though you might like to know that we have lived in our house while it was being painted and i, too, am breastfeeding. DD seems to have suffered no ill effects, nor have I. We used Sherwin Williams and American Tradition paint, which I found not to be stinky. But...if you can use this as an excuse to get out of another chore (lets face it, you have your hands full as it is!) carry on!

Good Luck!
-Shannon
Mom to Ellen 7/23/2003

mchasal
10-29-2003, 12:49 PM
I would also be concerned about your child being exposed to the fumes. They tend to permeate through a house. When my wife got pregnant, actually once we started trying, we switched to a line of non-toxic, Low and Zero VOC (Volotile Organic Compounds) paint. Its a bit more money, but we feel its worth it. There are several brands available, but this is the one we use: http://www.afmsafecoat.com/

We are still finishing our house, so we have a fairly large amount of painting to do. I guess it depends on how much you have to do, but to me its just not worth guessing about.

Mike