PDA

View Full Version : avent isis users- question about little valve thing

lizajane
10-28-2003, 07:39 PM
lately when i have been pumping, the small round thingy pops through the hole and flips itself over. this always happens RIGHT after i get the super mega letdown and i am rockin' and rollin' with the pump. milk is gushing out, i am getting great suction, i am ALL excited and POP. by the time i take the thing apart, put the round thingy back and start again, the let down magic moment is over and i struggle to get any milk out of the first or second side. and my hands are all sticky with milk and some always leaks out when i am reassembling.

maybe this belongs in the bitching post. sigh...

but i wanted to know if this happens to anyone else. do i need a new round thingy?

and also- do you find that your pump works better after boiling it (as opposed to hand washing only.) it seems odd to me, but i swear it works best after i have boiled it.

thanks!!

jennifer13
10-28-2003, 09:57 PM
The EXACT same thing just started happening to me!! It is SO frustrating, I was cussing and almost had a trantrum last night because, exactly as you said, it happens right when let down occurs and milk is gushing...then POP. Argh! And yes, sticky milk everywhere. I figure I need to order another white valve thingy, like maybe it has shrunk or something. Re: the boiling, on the Avent web site it says that proper cleaning can affect performance so maybe that has something to do with it. I haven't noticed a difference, but I don't sterilize it often.

Sorry for your frustration but I'm so relieved it's happening to someone else! I'm calling Avent tomorrow, I'll let you know what I find out.
Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

stillplayswithbarbies
10-28-2003, 10:28 PM
I have noticed this happen if I let the suction get too strong. If I am holding it down too long, it can happen. Sometimes I have to break the suction and reposition the horns, or just do some quick shallow pumps.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

spencersmommy
10-29-2003, 12:43 AM
Yes, this happens to me and it's so frustrating! Last week I spent my entire lunch break pumping (when it usually only takes 10-15 minutes) b/c the star kept popping out. Please let me know what you find out!! Thanks!
Amy
Mommy to Spencer 6-4-03

jennifer13
10-29-2003, 01:56 PM
I called Avent, they said that it means the valve is "soft" and I need to replace it. Of course I lost the replacement valves that came with the pump so they are sending me 3 for free. She also said that it can happen when there is lots of suction and you hold the handle down too long. A post above mentioned that, and I had luck with quicker, shorter pumping motions, but the cust serv rep said that since I've been pumping since May and it just started happening that it was most likely just natural wear on the valve.

The number is 800/542-8368 to get your new valve! Until I receive mine I guess I'll just wait for that dreaded sound every time I pump.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

lizajane
10-29-2003, 02:31 PM
THANK YOU JENNIFER!!!

i will call today!

deborah_r
10-29-2003, 04:13 PM
missed this thread yesterday, glad to know others have this problem, I will try replacing my valve too. I had just kind of accepted it and gotten used to it!