PDA

View Full Version : Is there formal evening attire that's nursing-friendly?

momma_boo
10-29-2003, 10:22 AM
We are going up to Boston in a few weeks for a black tie affair. The hostess says that we can bring DD to the party... she said it was up to us. Since we can't bring our own trusted babysitter with us on the trip (we did think of it, but it would cost wayyyy too much money), we prefer to bring the baby to the party. I plan to bring pumped milk to feed her, but I have noticed that sometimes if she's overstimulated, tired and cranky, nursing helps her to wind down and fall asleep. Any suggestions on what to wear that would make it easier to do this? It's at a country club, so I'm assuming that there will be a lounge where I can nurse her.
Also, are we crazy for bringing her with us? She'll be 7.5 months old. And we won't be lacking in relatives willing to hold her. But will the loud music freak her out (I'm assuming there will be a DJ)? Any advice, suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

teddy
10-29-2003, 10:57 AM
We brought our nearly 5 month old daughter to a wedding in New York and she was NOT happy. The DJ (DJ "Body Rock") was very loud and I think that upset her most. The only thing that helped was wearing her in a Baby Bjorn on the dance floor. Needless to say, we left during the entree.

That being said, a 7.5 month baby might do better, it just depends on her temperment. How is she with loud music, staying up late, being held by strangers (even though they're relatives, does she know them)? If she is a mellow baby, she might do well. But be prepared to leave on a moment's notice!!

Also, I was also in a dilemma about what to wear. I settled on the Lynn black dress from www.blissfulbabes.com. I love this site. It was super comfy and easy to nurse in. It's not necessarily formalwear but with the right accessories and shoes, it passed just fine. I didn't want to spend a lot on something I would wear once. The nice thing about this dress is that it can be maternity for baby #2 whenever that happens!!

stillplayswithbarbies
10-29-2003, 12:22 PM
Look for a two piece outfit, or put one together yourself with maybe a long skirt and a silk blouse. That will let you untuck the blouse and nurse.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

August Mom
10-29-2003, 01:07 PM
I know this doesn't go with formal wear, but I would take ear plugs with me if I were you. DS still reacts strongly to loud noises, but these Mack earplugs have really helped. http://tinyurl.com/svmx If your DD doesn't need them, you don't have to use them, but they could really help out.

Also, are you bringing a seat for her? If not, you probably need to make sure there's a high chair available at the club.

Motherwear.com often has nice dresses and sometimes they are on sale. I don't think there's anything formal there per se, but there may be something that you can make work.

jayhjay
10-29-2003, 01:36 PM
I had this same dilema when I thought I would have to nurse my DD at a wedding (turns out I got a sitter and just "held it in"). But I think the best option is a two piece dress, or a button up the front dress. Even in a lounge, I doubt you will want to take the whole top of your dress off which is pretty much what would be required in order to nurse in a regular dress (especially b/c you will likely need help zipping/buttoning in the back).

There are lots of nice two piece formal outfits so that is probably the easiest to find. Good luck!

suribear
10-29-2003, 04:22 PM
Definitely a two piece outfit so you can unbutton from the bottom or lift up the top and nurse. I wouldn't even try a dress, unless it was a nursing dress, though honestly I don't think a nursing dress would look so great for a formal event.

Kris

daisymommy
10-29-2003, 09:34 PM
Just wanted to let you know that Tanya at Kangaroo Korner makes formal wear slings to match your dress! It might make it easier on you and baby to have her snuggled close, not breaking your arms. Slings also give a sense of comfort and security.
http://www.kangarookorner.com/k_shop_unpadded_formal.shtml

Jen in Chicago
10-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Jude has been to a few events in his 5 months of life. He normally sleeps through them. I have worn sweather sets to the events with nice skirt (mostly Ann Taylor stuff.) The sweater sets work great for me for nursing. I am sure you can find one appropriate for the event. I like having the outside sweater for "cover". I can be more discrete with a sweater set than something that buttons.

Family will love having the baby there. If it is noisy, sit in the outskirts of the room and enjoy all of the people that will want to see baby.

My dilemna would be more, what will the baby wear? Your outfit is nothing if you bring the joy of a baby to the event.

sntm
10-30-2003, 09:09 AM
Motherwear has next to nothing, but I did get the plain black tank dress and wore it to a wedding. It is a cotton knit, though, so not very dressy. Go for a long skirt in a dressy fabric with a twin set.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

momma_boo
10-30-2003, 11:02 PM
Thanks everyone for responding with your advice!
We still haven't decided what to do. A college friend and her partner are willing to babysit DD at our hotel. DH and I will have to think it over and decide this weekend. I'm mostly worried about DD, but think that she would most likely fall asleep in her stroller.

Ack! I still have to figure out what to wear. I don't think anything I already have fits me. I hate having to buy something new - I'd rather spend money on clothes I would wear more!