PDA

View Full Version : I have come to accept that supplementing is in my near future.

peanut4us
10-29-2003, 01:59 PM
6.5 ounces. Yup, that's all I got yesterday. So far today, just 3.5 ounces. I pump 3xs a day at work, and it is already pushing it for me to do those three. I just restarted the Fenugreek on monday, and no miracles this time. Usually, I have taken it and been engorged within 36 hours. Nope, not this time. So here I am, eating my oatmeal for breakfast and eating my oatmeal cookies for a treat. And I'm going to have to supplement.

I figure we've got about 1-2 weeks worth of freezer stash left. I SO did not want to supplement, and I was really negative to it, like "if I have to supplement, it's done." Now that I am facing it, you know what... I'm not going to let my DD cry because she's hungry. Formula is not the end of the world. My original goal was to make it to 6 months. And there were many times that I thought there was NO way, and here, Sara is 7 months old. So, darn it, good job me.

I am not going to let this make me feel bad. It's just how it goes.

nitaghei
10-29-2003, 02:22 PM
Above all else, DO NOT feel bad!! You've already accomplished so much, and really, some formula is NO BIG DEAL!!! I'm saying this as someone who did the whole beating herself up over supplementing - and it's so NOT worth it. You're a great mom, and a happy mom is the best gift you can give Sara. I know several women who had a tough time pumping and had to supplement, but continued to nurse nights and weekends.

There is NOTHING to feel bad about. You're doing a great job!

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

lizajane
10-29-2003, 02:30 PM
you have already exceeded your goal and you have already done such a great thing for your child! the great things you do for her now will not end with supplementing. you are doing a great thing by paying attention to what she needs and what YOU need. don't let a little formula spoil the joy you have felt about your nursing relationship.

YOU ARE A GREAT MOMMY!!!

jennifer13
10-29-2003, 03:16 PM
You should feel happy and proud that you exceeded your goal! I, too, had thought if I had to supplement then I would be done with BF, but instead supplementing has allowed me to continue to bf. Whatever you do, your baby will thrive because she has a mother who loves her. As I read somewhere on these boards, rule #1 is feed your baby. Formula is not the enemy.

Good luck, take care, and give yourself a pat on the back for all you've accomplished.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

amp
10-29-2003, 03:24 PM
Joey, you are a great mommy! You have given Sara so much goodness with the breastfeeding you've already done, so don't beat yourself up now! Your ability to be a great mom has been enhanced by your ability to and your dedication to breastfeed her, but your value as a good mommy is *not* dependent on it! Chin up!

alexsmommy
10-29-2003, 03:54 PM
Like everyone has said, do not beat yourself up. You surpassed your goal. No one can tell you how difficult it is to pump at work and keep your supply high enough. I had the same experience when I went back to work when Alex was 4 months. After two weeks of trying to pump every three hours at work, I still wasn't keeping up with him. The frozen EBM was gone and I had no choice but to supplement. I felt guilty at first, but then I realized that four months of full time BM was excellent, and I can't look around my office and tell who was breastfed and who was on formula. I figure formula has to be better now that it was 30 years ago! You did great and Sara knows her Mommy has done and will continue to do everything in her power to give her the best. So I agree. Good job you.
Alaina - Mom to Alex 2-4-03 (born at 32 weeks)

jennifer13
10-29-2003, 04:02 PM
I have to laugh- I misread your post and thought you wrote "I CAN look around the office and tell who was breastfed and who was on formula" and I thought, Oh my god, she CAN? How can she tell? :) It took me a minute.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

lisams
10-29-2003, 05:57 PM
That's right!! You should feel good about what you have done this far. What your daughter needs more than breastmilk is a happy mommy!! You're a wonderful mom, don't let this make you think anything less.

Lisa

jd11365
10-29-2003, 06:51 PM
Darn it...good job is right! Great job! For heaven's sake, we are not miracle workers... I'm home with DD this year so I exclusively BF, but quite honestly, I don't think I could have pumped at work 3x a day myself, so kudos to you for even trying let alone making it work as long as you have and for exceeding your goal! Formula is not poison...it's healthy and nutritious and was good enough for me as a baby...and I think I turned out pretty good... Congratulations on making it this far...as the others said you are a great mommy!

Go get a pedicure and take your mind off of it! It's the least you deserve!

Jamie :-)
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

Jen in Chicago
10-29-2003, 08:40 PM
You have done GREAT! You exceeded you goal. Don't upset yourself, I am upset and frustrated enough for the 2 of us. I am trying to reach my 6 mo. goal.

sntm
10-30-2003, 09:16 AM
You've done such a fabuloous job -- better than most moms do and supplementing is definitely not giving up. I'm lucky enough to be a super pumper and even I have to work to keep up with DS. Pat yourself on the back for all your hard work!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

momma_boo
10-30-2003, 01:13 PM
Please don't feel bad. You've done such a GREAT job so far and needing a little help does not equal failure in any way.
You have already exceeded your goal and with some help will be able to continue to BF Sara, which is fabulous. I think Sara won't mind having a little formula if it means that her mommy will be more at ease!

peanut4us
10-30-2003, 01:59 PM
Thanks you guys. Positive reaffirmation helps so much. I talked to DH about this last night. Frankly, I don't know what I expected his reaction to be consciously, but I realized I was afraid of his being disappointed. Instead, he was so supportive and said "you've done an amazing job so far. It has been difficult from day one, and I know that some formula for Sara isn't going to be a big deal. Just relax."

Hoorah! Ironically, this whole work week I've only gotten 6.5 ounces when I pump. Today, without the stress and worry of "oh no formula!" I've already gotten 6 ounces and have one more pumping session to go!

nitaghei
10-30-2003, 02:10 PM
Pumping really is a mind game!! :) When I was pumping exclusively, and stressed about DS's nipple confusion, and having to supplement, I NEVER pumped enough (and I pumped upto 9 times a day). He typically needed formula twice a day. Once I accepted the need to supplement, and relaxed about the nipple confusion enough to seek help - wouldn't you believe it - DS started nursing, and I started pumping enough - and I haven't needed to supplement since.

That stress does set up a vicious cycle!! Glad that relaxing has helped!

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Bethann31
10-30-2003, 04:52 PM
I went through this too, and I congratulate you on making it the full 6 months without formula supplementing. I have had to supplement for a couple of months now. She gets about 8 oz. of formula a day on avg. Monday - Friday. I don't pump at work, I only pump at night, so I only get about 6-8 oz a day. Doesn't hold her even though I nurse at lunch time. I battled my feelings of failure, and then forged ahead, knowing she is healthy and happy.

Beth
mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)

Jenmv
10-30-2003, 05:19 PM
Congratulations on making it this far! I had to start supplementing around 4 months because I could never seem to pump much more than 6 oz in a day. Around 7 months I gave up pumping all together because my work was becoming too hectic and I was in the midst of several family crises. Everything was just too stressful. I would rather spend the extra time with DD rather than knocking myself out pumping several times a day. So now we nurse in the mornings and evenings and she gets one bottle of formula around noon. I feel like I have been relieved of a big burden but I am so glad that I can still continue nursing when I am home. For me its the best of both worlds. I would love to nurse exclusively but it is VERY challenging when you work full time outside of the home. There are only so many hours in the day and sometimes sacrifices have to be made for your own sanitys sake. DD doesn't seem to mind the formula at all and we have used Enfamil, Similac and Carnation all with no problems. I'm still using all of the free-bee's I received while pregnant.

Marisa6826
10-30-2003, 05:40 PM
Bravo Joey!!!

I had to supplement from the get go with Sophie. She got about 98% formula and 2% EBM. She was never able to latch on and I just didn't produce milk - I even took prescription Reglan and would get no more than a combined 3 oz. a DAY.

I gave her what EBM I could for 12 weeks and then had enough of that damn milking machine.

You are an AWESOME Mommy. Please, please, please don't feel that you're failing Sara.

Please do not hesitate to PM me if you want to talk. I would be happy to exchange numbers with you.

BIG hugs

-m