PDA

View Full Version : what a mess I've made...........

barbarhow
10-29-2003, 10:32 PM
So after reading some of the prior posts about plugs and milk blisters and reading some stuff at kellymom.com-I tried to peel back a milk blister with a sterile needle. I went very superficially and barely even did any thing. Now I am pumping tomato soup from that side. It does feel like the plug is gone though. I wasn't expecting blood. I was pretty careful-it didn't hurt or anything. Any one else have this happen? I'm assuming I should just dump the milk. :-(
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

deborah_r
10-29-2003, 11:33 PM
No advice or helpful insights here, just sympathy! I'm sorry you are going thru this!

etwahl
10-30-2003, 07:44 AM
oh no! i didn't have any blood, and i went pretty deep, but i didn't get any plug. and i'm still having issues.

i know it's normal to maybe have a little blood the LC told me yesterday, but tomato soup doesn't sound normal. is it really that much? if so, i would probably be concerned. if it's just a little, then i wouldn't be too concerned.

btw, did you see the plug come out? was it long? did just squeezing it out work for you? i'm so frustrated that mine won't come out, and that the LC doesn't think it is a plug, because to me it really looks like it. though when she looked at it, it looked better than it normally does. ack!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

barbarhow
10-30-2003, 08:02 AM
Oh but isn't that always the way? It always seems to look better when you asked someone about something.
It wasn't a dark tomato soup and I should qualify it because I make my tomato soup with milk so it is definately a lighter color than soup made with water. (little lol) It is definately better this am. Not bleeding-and no lumpiness in my breast but it sure looks like the milk blister is right back there.
Tammy, I have never seen a plug come out. I am pretty certain that I have felt them kindof work their way through though. A couple of times while nursing I felt a sensation almost like a pop and then they were gone. I can only assume that the plug moved.
Some of the more experienced bfing mom's would probably know better, though.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

sntm
10-30-2003, 09:13 AM
I'd dump the milk, just because blood is very irritating to the GI tract and can give him diarrhea.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Rachels
10-30-2003, 09:55 AM
If there's a lot of blood, you might dump it. On the other hand, it's perfectly safe for him to nurse on that side. I had blood in my milk when I had mastitis, and the LCs I consulted said that the makeup of breastmilk and blood are very similar. Both are living substances, and they share a lot of properties. It won't hurt him to have it in your milk. Abby never reacted at all. Straight blood sounds like another issue entirely.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02