PDA

View Full Version : Feeding soon to be 1 year old

Mayan
10-30-2003, 01:50 PM
I'm really confused about whats expected when DS reaches 1 year old.
He is 11 months now.
I know formula / BM is the main source of calories until 1 year, and after it should be solids. On the other hand I read tha DS should be getting 24 ounces a day of fomula. So how do you gradually switch?

This was my routine until a week ago - my DS usually drinks formula early morning, then has fruit for breakfast, bottle midmorning, veggies+meat (lumpy puree) at lunch, yogurt in the afternoon, another bottle, some cereal for dinner and a bottle before sleep and during the night (which is another story...how do you get rid of than night feeding?!?!).
Now I've tried to lower the amount of formula and replace it with real food, cubed cheese, avocado, a biscuit, pieces of banana or canteloupe, etc.

So I can get him to take only a bottle in the evening and night, and early morning. I don't think they add up to 24 ounces. Am I doing this too early?

DS loves to eat solids, and wants to eat anything we eat. He is very big (100% in height, 80% for weight) do I don't worry too much about him missing a bit of food, but it does seem like he misses those bottles (maybe more a comfort than the food itself?)

So what is your feeding routine for almost 1 year old?
How do you switch to full solids?
When do you stop with formula and go to cow's milk? (I know reccomendation is 1 year, but then what is the similac 2 for older kids meant for?)
Any good books that reccoment feeding routines?

Any advice is welcome!!!
Mayan,
mom to Adi (12/04/02)