PDA

View Full Version : Very concerned! Anyone else's supply just completely drop off?

peanut4us
10-30-2003, 09:30 PM
I know I just posted that I am ready to supplement with formula, and I am. But, I meant during the day, not after I nurse her. I was so sad and frustrated tonight. I nursed her before bed and she pulled off and acted very frustrated like there wasn't enough! I switched her back and forth several times before she fell asleep. She woke up about 40 minutes later hungry. So I nursed her switching back and forth again until she fell asleep.

I don't get it. I know she wasn't eating great for awhile and I had a plugged duct, but it seems like this week, every 3 hours I get anywhere between 2-3 ounces when I pump and that is it... consequently, when Sara wants to eat there is also not much. I KNOW that you are always producing, blah, blah, blah. But I KNOW that I am NOT producing enough.

Also, I have felt really tired, light-headed and just generally drained for about the last week. Could this be related? Should I go see a Dr and see if there is something wrong? Is there anything medically that could do this??? I still haven't had my period since I had Sara, so I don't think it's that. I'm pumping like a mad woman, drinking water, eating oatmeal, and taking fenugreek.

Please help! I'm ready to supplement, but I am so not ready to stop!

barbarhow
10-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Have you changed the valves on your pump? Or is you pump on its last legs like I think mine might be? I have been having similar issues-I think it might be because we have been going nonstop for a while. Can you take a day and just keep her close by and nursing like crazy to up your supply? Maybe its time for a "mental health day" from work.
Did you get a flu shot recently? Or maybe you are just plain exhausted. It could certainly be related. Ummmm-are you pregnant? That might explain how you feel....If you don't feel better in a couple days, see your doctor. In the meantime take good care of yourself and don't do too much this weekend.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

Momof3Labs
10-30-2003, 10:02 PM
Yes, your exhaustion will definitely impact your supply! You could be getting your period - that might be the reason. Can you take a day or two off and relax, and try to get your energy back? That will do more for your supply than any bowl of oatmeal.

houseof3boys
10-30-2003, 10:04 PM
Joey I hate that you are going through this! I think you need some R & R sweetie. The sleep will do a body good in this case and I know it will help your supply and your stress level!!!!!

lisams
10-30-2003, 10:34 PM
I agree that a day off would be just what you need if you can do that. The way you describe how you are feeling reminds me of when I got my first period post-partum (at around 6 months and DD was nursing exclusively) I wonder if your hormones are effecting your supply. My supply seems to drop that week or two before my period. I sure hope things get better for you soon.

Lisa

McQ
10-31-2003, 08:39 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this Joey. But I agree with the others. Take a day off and spend it with Sara. Just nurse, nurse, nurse to build up the supply.

And I know what you mean about things suddenly stopping. For me, around 5 1/2 months I went from 9 ounces a day down to 3 ounces day. This happened all of a sudden. I was devastated. I wasn't ready to stop breastfeeding. And the more I pumped (with little results) I got very down. And things with work were super crazy. We were putting together a proposal and working really long hours. But I held my ground and told them I was going home to feed my son and to put him to bed (I only mention that because I felt guilty about work but I would have felt even guiltier if I hadn't left each night). After putting him to bed I'd work for another couple of hours. It was tough going and I think it really affected me.

Once I used up my frozen stash I nursed in the mornings and at night. I made it a couple of more weeks until they gave out completely. I could tell I was empty as after a minute or two he'd look around and cry. It broke my heart.

I wish I had a better story for you. But what you've done so far has been great! Here's hoping you'll be able to wean when you're good & ready!!!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03