PDA

View Full Version : So I think it's thrush...

s_gosney
10-30-2003, 11:05 PM
Re my last post "so confused..." the pain began spreading today and radiating towards my back. I called the LC and she said rub lotrimin on there after every feeding, but she didn't mention anything else. From a quick search through the archives it looks like I need to do a lot more. So please help clear up what all the necessary steps are. I haven't started pumping yet, so that's not an issue. Sounds like getting the ped to do anything may cause a challenge. Should I call the OB now or wait a few days and see if the lotrimin does it? I really need this to go away. All of this pain so early when I'm still adjusting just to having a baby really makes the bottle look tempting. I really want BF to work for us, but this is lousy. Please help!

C99
10-30-2003, 11:25 PM
You can call your OB and ask for a prescription for Diflucan, which should help clear it. Nate and I had a very persistent case of thrush for several months and what really cleared it for us was using Gentian Violet twice per day for 4 days. It's messy, but effective. You should also make sure that you sterilize all pacifiers, rubber nipples, toys, etc. after each use, and change your bra during the day, too. I'm sure others will have some additional advice that my sleep-deprived brain can't communicate now.

Also just wanted to say: you can do it! with breastfeeding. We also had lots of obstacles early on and 9 months later, we're still BFing. It's SO worth it.

heidi_timms
10-31-2003, 01:04 AM
We first tried Nystatin(prescription) and after 3 weeks, we still had it. Acidophillus with Bifidus from the natural foods store worked for us! It's kept in the refridgerated section. I got mine at Whole Foods Markets-not sure if you have one of those. I took the chewable tablets and crushed some for my DD and fed a little bit to her on my finger. It helps the good bacteria in your body fight the yucky yeasties. I couldn't use Genetian Violet because my DD spits up too much and feared that everything would be stained.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

robandtakako
10-31-2003, 08:05 AM
i am taking acidophilus and grape fruit seed extract besides duflucan and nicholas is taking nistatin. acidophilus is "friendly" bacreria and gse is supposed to help to kill "unfriendly" one. i also expose my breasts to the air as much as possible, plus rinsing breasts after each feeding, sterlizing bottles/nipples, hot washing bras...

Debbi posted several sites regarding this issue responding to my past post (title: another thrush question) and you can find it searching the board. those sites are very informative to help educate yourself to fight with thrush.

good luck in beating this battle!

Takako
(Nicholas, born on 8/21/03)

robandtakako
10-31-2003, 08:17 AM
Caroline,

how long did it take for the purple stain on Nate's month to go away? i am thinking of trying Gentian Violet since my symptom hasn't improve much after deep pain has gone (i am on 4th week of diflucan treatment). we plan to take Nicholas to a gathering later next week and wish to avoid purple paint on his face for that occasion.

thank you,
Takako
(Nicholas, 8/21/03)

robandtakako
10-31-2003, 09:12 AM
forgot to add this...
i also eat "middle eastern style" yogrut with live culture which has no sugar in it. i was able to find this at an indian grocery store.

Takako
(Nicholas, born on 8/21/03)

KGoes
10-31-2003, 09:16 AM
I would go to your OB now just to make sure that it's thrush. There are other conditions that can cause pain and discomfort. Once you have had his/her diagnosis, you can evaluate treatment options. Personally, the cream on the nipples route did nothing for me. I was on diflucan and started taking acidophilis/bifidus.
Hang in there! Anyone would feel frustrated in your position, but there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Kelley
DD born 7/30/03

C99
10-31-2003, 10:08 AM
maybe 1-2 days after the last day of treatment. Someone told me that you can put vaseline or lotion on the face to avoid the stain, but for us, it was more of a hassle to put it on his squirming face than to just stick the GV dropper in. Also, in the evenings, I gave Nate the GV just before or while in the bath, so that if he spit it out (which he usually did), it was already in enough water to dissipate rather than stain.