PDA

View Full Version : Bravado nursing bras? Are they worth the hype?

pganju
11-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Hi,
This is my first baby and I am 34 weeks along. I went to the hospital last week with some contractions and now I am on bedrest. I was looking at the bravado website for nursing bras. I was wondering if anyone has a preference for a particular nursing bra? Also when is the best time to purchase one? Would apprec. any input.
Priya

Momof3Labs
11-03-2003, 02:59 PM
The Bravado is nice because it spans a wide range of sizes. It's hard to get fit for a nursing bra when you are still pregnant because your body will change so much (rib cage shrink, etc) after you give birth. And as you lose weight, your band size will probably go down a bit more. So the Bravado is a good bra to start with - get maybe one or two, but not more.

One thing about the sizing - if you are a D cup or larger, I recommend going with the ++ size, no matter what the size chart says. There just isn't enough support in the + size for a D cup, IMO.

Then, once baby is born, you can get a few more nursing bras (take the time to get fit by a lactation consultant - don't guess and try to do it on your own).

KGoes
11-03-2003, 02:59 PM
Sorry about the bed rest, but I hope it's temporary.
I like my Bravado, but I like my Medelas the best. The best idea is to try some on to see what fits you and is comfortable.
I went up an entire cup size after delivery when my milk came in, so I would wait to stock up on nursing bras. I bought a Bravado "sports type" bra for use in the hospital and then purchased others later.
Kelley
DD born 7/30/03

dogmom
11-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Some people love them, some don't. I was in the middle. I found that the band in front rolled up all the time, but they were comfortable. I bought one from Breakout Bras (they have the best prices) and didn't feel like I wasted money. Having said that, I didn't buy another one. A good friend of mine raves about them. I would say buy one if you don't think the $$ will break you and see what you think. They sizes are flexible, so it can go through several stages of pregnancy, post-partum & nursing for you.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

farsk
11-03-2003, 03:06 PM
Priya,

Congratulations on your upcoming motherhood!! I just bought my fourth Bravado bra, I love them. I have one medela one, too and it's great. I think the Bravado are extremely comfortable to sleep in, and if you are large chested, it is a must!

Good Luck!
-Shannon
Mom to Ellen 7/23/2003

COElizabeth
11-03-2003, 03:55 PM
I agree with getting the ++ if you have a large bust, and I also agree that they are great for sleeping. I wear my Bravados 99% of the time because they are so comfortable and the ONLY nursing bras out there that don't make my skin itch (at least that I have found).

They do span a good number of sizes; nevertheless, I am on my 3rd set of them (all different sizes)! You might not experience as dramatic size increases and decreases as I have, but don't be surprised if you eventually need a smaller bra, even in the Bravado.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

Piglet
11-03-2003, 03:59 PM
I really didn't care for the Bravado, but I am fairly small chested. I wanted more support, but the small sized cups have only the one layer of fabric and the criss cross at the centre bugged me. Also, I found the elastic rolled up into a big sausage around my middle. That having been said, I did wear the Bravado once in a while, but wouldn't buy more than the one. I am not a big fan of sports bras on a good day, and definitely not when I wanted to regain some semblance of, dare I say, sexiness. I had a bunch of department store nursing bras (Playtex, I think) that worked much better and they looked more like my regular day bras.

Edited to add: I am also short waisted. Maybe that is the "sausage middle" problem.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-03-2003, 05:09 PM
the Bravado is the most comfortable bra of any kind that I have worn in my entire life. I have not had the problem with the band rolling up for me.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

nitaghei
11-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Priya,
Congratulations! (love the name - it was on our list of girl names!)

I HATED the Bravado - it was the most UNcomfortable bra I have ever tried. I was in serious pain within 10 minutes - and it took over a day for me to recover. The racer-back style seemed to hit some muscles/nerves in my back in a way that generated serious pain. I'm also short-waisted, and the band really dug in.

Just wanted to give you a different view!!

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

heidi_timms
11-03-2003, 11:08 PM
I didn't care for the Bravado or the Medela bras because I wanted bras similar to the ones that I used to wear before the baby. I found some simple smooth cup, cotton underwire nursing bras at Target. They have a special section for Maternity/nursing there. They are also priced reasonably too-$11.99-$14.99. It's nice because they aren't huge and I can wear v-neck tops with them. I got fitted for a Medela in the hospital store, but didn't end up getting one because it just wasn't my style!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

sntm
11-04-2003, 08:54 AM
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=9175&mesg_id=9175&listing_type=search

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03