PDA

View Full Version : DS is 10 weeks old and I got sore nipple

diekatze
11-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Hello, everyone.
It has been pretty smooth regarding on the BF til yesterday.
I can tell that my DS's sucking getting stronger and the feeding time is getting bit shorter(sometimes in 30 minutes).
I've been feeding mainly on one breast since the other one doesn't produce much and my DS gets fussy often.
I use breast shield so I thought I wouldn't get sore nipple but I was wrong. Even with nipple shiled it hurts so much that I had to pull him off and feed him EBM from the morning. I even applied PureLan100 cream from last night but it doesn't seem to work.
I know I should have stuck with feeding but the whole world seems to spin when he suck!!!!
If I pump to feed my DS for today or til tomorrow, do you think it will hurt my milk production??? I don't really think DS has any nipple confusion. I normally have to suppliment formula one feeding per day(alway around 3-4 in the afternoon) and he doesn't seem to mind the bottle nor formula.
I wonder what causes thi soreness.... He was doing fine. Any suggetions??? Thank you in advance!

Momof3Labs
11-04-2003, 12:11 PM
It could be that his latch has changed, or it could be thrush:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush-resources.html

I also would feel tenderness in my nipple when mastitis was coming on; is your breast sore in any other area, or just the nipple?

sweetbasil
11-04-2003, 12:12 PM
You think maybe he's hitting his 3m growth spurt a little early? My DS#2 did the same thing, and it kinda caught my body off guard and took a little bit to catch up.

Also, have you looked at how his little lips are positioned? They need to be puckered out, not tucked under or anything. If his bottom lip starts curling under at all, that can really make the latch hurt.

Best wishes,

diekatze
11-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Just the nipple so far...I took him out and nursed back of my car without bobby for 2 days. Maybe when I did that his latch changed and caused me sore nipple???

Should I nurse still??? and if I can't resist the pain, what should I do and what should I do to prevent milk production decrease???

diekatze
11-04-2003, 12:40 PM
His lower lip is fine. I always check to see if his lower lip is pucked out. Even when I give him the bottle. His upper lip seems to be tucked in but it didn't really bother me.

What did you do when it hit you??? I know I should continue to nurse but...oh boy, I see stars.... and how did you catch up???

sweetbasil
11-04-2003, 01:43 PM
After a day or so, my milk supply caught back up and we were back to normal with nursing. If he nursed a ton on the first side and didn't on the second, I'd pump the second one to keep the supply up over there. DS's upper lip was getting tucked under around that time, so I'd pull him off, get him to make a good, full, open lipped latch, and start again. That really reduced the discomfort for me.

Good luck,

diekatze
11-05-2003, 11:04 PM
Update, after my sore nipple, he won't latch onto the breasts(both sides) anymore.
This is what he does at each feeding from yesterday.

He will latch on and suck for 2-3 minutes.
He seems like he got chock on something
He will turn red and starts to get frustrated
He will continue to suck but will pull off after each suck
Another 1 or 2 minutes, he will pull off completely and cry his lungs off.
I burp him, change his diaper, try to get his mind off then try again but this time he won't even suck. As soon as I put him in the feeding position, he cries...
This gives me no choice but to feed him EBM and formula. My log book for today is all bottles!!! and pumping.

And another crazy thing is he's getting 4oz but sometimes will demand for more after one hour.

I thought it was maybe the diet but when I feed him with EBM, his doing fine. I tried other side but same thing.

My BH and MIL is almost gave up on BF, looking at DS getting frustrated most of his 11 weeks. I am getting tired too. It seems like one problem after another and this time he won't latch on!!!

I don't know what to do. I am pumping each time he gets feed but I am not sure how long this will last...
Does anyone have similar experience?? If so, how did you solve this problem???

Momof3Labs
11-05-2003, 11:15 PM
Yep, we had a similar problem every now and then, and resolved it with lots of patience. I'd just calm him down (occasionally with an ounce of EBM) and then try again. Eventually he'd latch back on and be fine. I don't know why it happened, but it did, and the next day everything would be fine!

Although if you both have thrush, his mouth could be bothering him. Have you seen a doctor about that yet?

diekatze
11-05-2003, 11:31 PM
My DH is ER physician and he doesn't think it's thrush when he look at his mouth.
Even now with all the bottle of EBM and formula, he's so fussy. He cries and cries...He looks very sleepy but won't sleep or sleep for short period and fusses...
Should I go to his doctor and get a check up???
Meanwhile what should I do with my milk supply??? Is pumping good enough to maintain it???

stillplayswithbarbies
11-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Try reading these articles and see if any of it seems helpful:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/fussy-while-nursing.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/back-to-breast.html

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Momof3Labs
11-06-2003, 10:48 AM
He may be going through a growth spurt, in which case you NEED to nurse him through it to keep your supply going.

Also, you can both have thrush without white patches in his mouth. You really need to get that sore nipple checked out by an OB!