PDA

View Full Version : First foods question/Super Baby Food

spencersmommy
11-06-2003, 02:07 AM
Hello everyone! Questions about first foods since we are about to start rice cereal. The Super Baby Food book says to start with cereal, bananas, and sweet potatoes first. She doesn't have many veggies, like carrots, introduced until month 7 and apples even later. Did anyone start those earlier? My DS is 5 months old. I wanted to give DS veggies first before fruit, so i was planning to start veggies in a few weeks. Is there a reason to wait? And should I really save apples until Month 8? (I could be wrong on the months, my book is not in front of me). Also, what veggies did you start with and how old was your baby? Thanks for your advice!
Amy
Mommy to Spencer 6-4-03

stillplayswithbarbies
11-06-2003, 10:32 AM
We haven't started anything yet, but I plan to start with bananas this weekend, followed by avocado and sweet potatoes.

I don't plan to do any cereal until after 9 months or so.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Jen in Chicago
11-06-2003, 12:39 PM
We have done rice cereal, Oatmeal and avocado.

I learned today that day care's rice cereal has banana in it - surprised me but I will get over it. He is happy.

Day care wants me to give his squash next b/4 sp b/c sp seem to give may kids the runs. Since they feed him and I don't I will follow her suggestion.

Jude has been sleeping VERY poorly this week, so the avocado is not being served today. I doubt it will make a difference, but someone suggested trying that.

flagger
11-06-2003, 12:45 PM
We sort of followed her cues as when to start feeding her just before four calendar months. She hates Rice Cereal plain, but will eat the kind with Banaas and apples mixed in.

She likes oatmeal much better.

So far she has tasted, gummed or eaten:

Rice cereal, oatmeal, apples, bananas, chips with salsa, pizza crust, bread, fries, pretzels, bread sticks, Hawaiian bread, sweet potato, and applesauce. We tried a frozen strawberry in the net feeder, but she was not a big fan.

amp
11-06-2003, 12:56 PM
DS, at 5 mths, has tried the following...rice cereal, oatmeal, applesauce, pears, peaches, sweet potato. We are planning to start avocado as soon as the one we have is ripe enough and we are going to introduce barley cereal next. For the record, he doesn't eat a lot. He's still experimenting with having it in his mouth and swallows a good portion of the small amount (2 Tbsp. or so) that we give him. He has not shown any of these to be a preference. He would actually like very much to have the food we are eating and doesn't seem terribly excited about baby food! I personally don't worry too much about any one particular food, but rather just make sure that I only introduce one at a time and try for a wk. or so before trying another.

heidi_timms
11-06-2003, 04:56 PM
DD is six months and we have done most veggies and fruits. I avoid berries and nuts because the ped warned me to wait in case of allergies. Super Baby Food is a good reference, but I don't agree with the timeline for some of her foods. The author is not a doctor, so I would check with your ped as well.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

hellokitty1
11-06-2003, 11:34 PM
We're not really far into solid feedings but we started with rice cereal and then veggies of squash, green beans and carrots. MY ped todl me that bc DD is breastfed, she needs the iron in rice cereal (about 2 tbsp a day) so at minimum, I always try to getin a feeding of rice cereal. If iron is taken in via rice cereal, you can use iron drops. I've heard many babies tend to like foods based on color groups and that orange is sweeter than green but so far it looks like DD prefers green. We're trying peas soon.

sntm
11-07-2003, 08:23 AM
someone else here first suggested this website.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solids.htm

it seems to be the most thorough regarding when to start certain foods. i reviewed it with my ped and compared it to other references and we both thought it was very trustworthy.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

spencersmommy
11-08-2003, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the info everyone! Thanks Shannon, for the website. I started DS on rice cereal, which he scarfed down! We'll try oatmeal cereal next week, then sweet potatoes, squash, avocado, and banana. Thanks again, it's great having you all as resources!
Amy
Mommy to Spencer 6-4-03