PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Ameda PY users

calebsmama03
11-06-2003, 02:35 PM
I pump 3x/day 3 days per week at work , then once every AM on the days I'm home to be sure I've got enough for DS at daycare.

I have been using a PIS for nearly 5 mos now(lent to me by a friend- I know, shame on me). I have chosen to buy my own pump now for many reasons, not the least of which being that even when I adjust the suction and cycle speed on the PIS I find it painful to pump! I bought a PY since it is cheaper, lighter, closed system and I'd tried one and it didn't hurt me :) I got mine yesterday and tried it this AM. Though I seem to have gotten the same amount of milk (with no pian - yeah!!) the pump itself doesn't seem as durable as the PIS. Not sure why - if it's the lightness or that the suction didn't feel as strong, or what. It almost reminds me more of a toy than of a piece of "medical equipment". The noise is a bit annoying and the cycles aren't as fast as the PIS, but if I can get the same results with no pain I'm all for it!

Anyone who's used this pump - has it lasted a long time? I was hoping this would finish out my nursing with DS (hopefully at least another 6-12 mos still) and be used for his future sister ;) (or brother, I guess).

If anyone has used both, did you find any difference in output? I know the specs are almost identical (suction power, etc.), so it must be the flage design that keeps it from being painful to me, but I'm so conditioned to feel pain while pumping (also used the lactina rental with painful results) that I'm fearful this one isn't as good or won't provide enough "stimulation" to maintain supply while I'm at work. (No pain, no gain?)

One final question - how often do you replace your white valves? They don't seem like they would be as sturdy as the PIS valve (all rubber vs. solid plastic with a rubber membrane)

Gosh, I sure am second guessing myself a lot these days! It's funny how BFing can turn even the most confident woman into a worrywart!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

stillplayswithbarbies
11-06-2003, 02:58 PM
I replace the valves when they start letting the milk bubble up during the suction. I think I am on my third set in 7 months, and I pump about as often as you do.

I did just call last week to have mine replaced because the cycle adjustment seemed stuck on "high". They sent me a new pump, and shipping labels to send the old one back for free.

When I was researching pumps in the beginning, I found a lot of people say that Ameda has good customer service, and that has been true for me as well.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

sarita188
11-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Hi Lynne! My PY is on it's second baby (3 1/2 months now!). I used it with Spencer 4 years ago for 14 months, 2x per day during that time. I replaced my white valves and diaphrams every 2-3 months, when I noticed that they weren't as tight at the bottom of the "point", or when they would start to fit loosely on the flange.

This time around with the PY I was worried about increasing supply. I tried a rental pump (Ameda Egnall, not sure which one, Lact-e maybe?) and had the same results as my PY. I was a good producer with Spencer, and have good days now and not-so-good days. (My job is way more stressful now, as is life in general!). The only difference I saw between the hospital grade pump and the PY was that the hospital was quieter.

I also purchased the "custom flanges" that are a bigt larger, and am getting better results.

I hope this helps! Sorry it got so long!

barbarhow
11-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Lynne-I use a PY at home-pumping at least once a day and a hospital grade Medela at work. I have discomfort with the PY flanges, too. I do not have the same discomfor with the Medela.
I get about the same output from both. If anything I might get more from the PY-but that may be because I am at home and definately not as stressed as at work. (?)
My PY has been pretty hardy-I am in my 7th month and its a pump that I borrowed from a friend of my husbands (yeah, shame on me, too) So far it works great. I replace the valves every couple of months on both systems. If I could afford it, I would love to have a hospital grade pump at home but the PY is definately very convenient to travel with. I can sit in the car and pump away. FWIW-I like that it is small and totable.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

calebsmama03
11-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Thanks all! I was just starting to worry that I'd wasted money on a less durable pump! Glad to hear it seems just as good - must just have a different "feel" and sound to it, that's all.

I did have some discomfort this AM with the PY, but not as bad as with PIS. (Then I discovered a clear blister on my nipple - ouch! I think that caused the pain since there was none yesterday.) But, I think my hygenikit is not functioning properly - I can single pump fine, but when I tried to double I got a hissing sound (like air leakage) and very little suction. The weird thing is that I switched everything around and tried every combo I could think of (changing port holes on the pump, changing tubes, flanges, etc.) and it worked single with EVERY combo but not double Hmm... I'm calling the store where I got it this AM.

Sarah - sorry if this is rude, but can I ask what cup size you wear? I never thought of custom flanges for either pump, it might help, but I'm wondering since it says those are for "larger breasted" women what constitues "larger". I think I'm pretty average. Even engorged I'm only a C cup, usually a B (34/36). I'd thought about the flexishields but then thought maybe they would reduce suction too much.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

stillplayswithbarbies
11-07-2003, 11:28 AM
It sounds like there is either a hole/tear in one of the silicone things that go in the top, or one of your white valves is worn out. Try single pumping, but trade out the silicone valve and then the white valve to see if you get the hissing sound and diminished suction.

If that doesn't solve it, call Ameda, they are very helpful. It could be a hole in a tube, I suppose, but it seems like it would be hard to get a hole in one of those.

As for the size . . . it is based on the size of your nipple, not the size of your breasts. The bigger ones have bigger "tunnels", not bigger horns. The inserts made the tunnel too small for me and it was painful and I got little milk. Your nipple/areola should be pulled into the tunnel so that the place where your baby's gums touch in a proper latch is at the back edge of the tunnel. (hope that made sense). If too little of your nipple is being pulled in, you need a bigger size. If too much, you need a smaller size.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

sarita188
11-07-2003, 11:40 PM
HI Lynne! Nope, not rude at all to ask about cup size (amazing what we'll ask, and answer, down this parenting road!). I'm a 38D, but my areolas are quite large. I had tried the flexshields first, thinking perhaps making the area smaller/more comfortable would help, but it didn't for me.

The flanges - the tube-part, where your nipple is "sucked" in, is larger to accommodate more. The horn part is slightly bigger (30mm vs 25 mm I think?), and also comes with an insert to make it smaller still, but not as small as the regular size flange.

BTW, my lactation consultant got me the set brand new for $10, online the cheapest I found it was $16 + shipping. I have 2 sets 'cause I hate to do dishes constantly!