PDA

View Full Version : Isis gurus...reusable or disposable?

geochick
11-06-2003, 03:21 PM
I am expecting my first baby in early January. I am interested in the Avent Isis pump. I will be a SAHM and will only pump occasionally. My question is, which system should I use - the Isis disposable bottles or the reusable bottles (and why?)? I realize that baby may not like the Avent bottles, so is it better to go with the disposable system and pour into the "preferred" bottle? Do babies get fewer gas bubbles with one of the systems? When is the best time to first introduce the bottle if I only plan to use them occasionally? I am pretty new to all of this so any information you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks.

KathyO
11-06-2003, 03:31 PM
I got the reusable, and am glad that I did, but for kind of a weird reason... my daughter, who refused the bottle like it contained arsenic or something for the first half year or so, ultimately accepted it, and now, at 2 and a half, her favourite "comfort object" when she sleeps is an empty bottle to suck on. (Funny, because she never did take to pacifiers). Don't know how common this is, but there you are...

Best,

KathyO

C99
11-06-2003, 03:35 PM
I can't answer any of the when questions, but I'd get the reusable bottle system over disposables. The Avent storage bags were the worst of the ones I've tried and, like all bags, don't give a very accurate measurement. I have both a Medela PIS and an Avent Isis and I've stored all the milk in Gerber zip-top bags until I needed to use it. Then I just defrosted it and poured it into my bottle of choice (Avent).

Momof3Labs
11-06-2003, 03:57 PM
I agree - go with the reusable. But keep in mind that you CAN use the pump with the Avent disposable bottles! But the reusable bottles will give better measurements, and it is easier to pour out of those than out of bags.

jennifer13
11-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Ditto on the resusalbes. And you could do a search about introducing the bottle, there have been lots of good threads about it. If you are going to be a SAHM it's generally recommended to introduce a bottle no earlier than 4 weeks when your milk supply and bfing is well-established, but not to wait too much longer than that. I know lots of people who introduced the bottle earlier, and later. It's also very dependent upon how well the baby is breastfeeding, what her issues are, etc.. Good luck, and definitely do a search because there have been lots of good tips in previous posts.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

votre_ami03
11-07-2003, 10:54 AM
I like my re-usable Isis too. I am even using it now that I am working again (going on 4 weeks). Like someone else mentioned, you can use the pump & always use a different bottle. I pumped directly into the bottle, but I lined the bottle with a Gerber liner & screwed the pump on. The pump still worked fine, although it occaisonally caused the bag to leak, so I doubled.

We have successfully used the Avent bottles.

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

mycatspaz
11-08-2003, 01:56 AM
I HATED the disposable Avent bottles and bags!!! The reuseable bottles were great. I didn't use bags at all....after getting the pumps--I had two to pump both sides at the same time--they came with bottles, and picking up others when there was a sale, I have a pretty good stash of bottles. I used the 4 oz bottles and just froze the milk in the bottles. When DS started drinking from the bigger bottles, I used the Medela bags or Gerber bags.

Now, since you aren't sure your little one will even like the Avent bottles....I'd still use the reuseable bottles. Just pour from the Avent bottle to the one your little one will use.

Besides, the Avent bags being horrible to get an accurate measure, those stupid little clips are a PITA to keep up with and use. And if you use the disposables, you still have just as much to wash--the bottle, ring, pump, etc. So it doesn't really save steps.

As far as introducing the bottle to your little one, that's the $64,000 question. My little one took a bottle from day 3, but I was having supply problems. I had to bf first, then bottle feed. After my supply came in, it was strictly bf for the first 5 weeks, then I went back to school. He had bottles then and no problems. Of course, being at the sitters he had to drink from the bottle or go hungry.

I never had a problem..you may or may not. Just remember, all those things you decide on before you have your baby and what you actually do after the baby comes may be two totally different things. You are a woman, you have a right to change you mind!!!

Christine