PDA

View Full Version : Post-partum clothes?

jec2
11-06-2003, 11:09 PM
OK, what on earth do you all wear post-partum? I cannot fit into any of my pre-preg clothes yet, obviously...but many of my maternity clothes swim on me now. It seems as though I have been wearing the same two outfits for the past 3 weeks.

pritchettzoo
11-06-2003, 11:22 PM
Oh crap--we're supposed to change clothes? :P I'm in the same boat, although it's been almost 2 months. I actually weigh less than I did pre-pregnancy (thanks to lovely HG), but the weight has redistributed itself oddly. I got some fuzzy velour pants on sale at Target and 2 long-sleeved t-shirts and pretty much live in that and a couple of comfy pants (yoga-type) I had from before. I am soooo stylish! I think the spit-up on my chest and sleeve adds that je ne sais quoi that my wardrobe was missing before... Anyhoo--so far, DD hasn't complained, and DH knows better!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

lizajane
11-07-2003, 07:46 AM
don't worry too much. 6 weeks is really different from 3 weeks. i tried to get one or two things at about 3-4 weeks and everything i tried on was way too small, and i was trying things on 2 sizes up. at about 6-8 weeks, i managed to get into one size up, so i got 2 pairs of shorts and 2-3 tees from target.

i would wait another week or two, and then hit target or tjmaxx for a few keys items to wear! by the end of the summer, i was swimming in my one size up shorts! now i am back into my clothes, with the exception of anything "fitted" around the waist. my dressy clothes don't want to button around my baby's former house. :)

hez
11-07-2003, 07:57 AM
Same idea here-- I started out wearing my comfy pants-- drawstrings are a must! I mostly wear t-shirts, sweatshirts and my comfy pants. I got some pretty good deals at Kohl's a few weeks ago-- $10 for some yoga-style pants. For church I had a couple knit skirts that weren't half bad fit-wise, even 3 weeks post-birth. I'm thinking of getting a couple more knit outfits so they'll fit even after I (hopefully) get my figure back.

I'm slowly working back into my old pants (BF'ing has been very, very good to me weight-wise), but I still have a ways to go to fit into most of them. Most people don't even notice me except to ask how I'm sleeping-- they just want to see DS. So I'm not too worried about the fashion statement I'm (not!) making.

barbarhow
11-07-2003, 08:03 AM
I think that you are doing an awesome job if you are even thinking about getting dressed! I barely made it out of my pjs for those first three weeks. Once I finally did-I headed to Target and TJs-got a couple of inexpensive pairs of shorts, tshirts, etc. I now own RL jeans in size 6, 8, 10, 12 and I thnk a 14, too. I wore them up through my preg and now down through the pp time. Although I am not so delusional as to think I am going to fit back into those 6s. The former house of baby (good name Liza Jane) has an addition that I am certain will remain. HTH

Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

heva
11-07-2003, 10:24 AM
One word: SPANDEX!!! What did our mothers do without it?

votre_ami03
11-07-2003, 11:10 AM
I changed dramatically in a matter of weeks. I love clothes, soit was very hard for me not to have anything to wear. :) I dropped 2 sizes in the first 2 weeks & another size by my pp check at 5 1/2 wks. I bought a couple pairs of pants, jeans & khakis to get me buy & found that most of my smaller maternity tee's worked for a little while.

Also, Liz Lange's line at Target. She has clothes for speciffic tri-mesters, one is for the 1st & post-partum. Maybe check out sale & clearance stuff?

Yes, the weight shifts! I was pear shaped before w/a thin belly & now, I have a post-baby gut & am thinner (not thin) on bottom.

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

miki
11-07-2003, 11:34 AM
That's what I was going to say--you all are quite ambitious. I think for the first month, I just wore pjs unless we were expecting guests. I still do once in a while on the fussy days, except for throwing something on late in the afternoon and grabbing the sling to go out to walk the dogs.

sadie427
11-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Check old navy--I got yoga pants and some other stretchy pants there cheap, and still like them enough to wear them now at 3 months, even though I'm closer to my pre-pregnancy size now. I can't wear a lot of my pre-pregancy shirts, which were XS, because of BF, so Old Navy and Target were a good source of cheap fun t shirts too.

kaitlinsmommy
11-07-2003, 03:12 PM
drawstring & elastic are great. I could wear most of my clothes by 4 months but they didn't totally fit until 6 months or so.

s7714
11-09-2003, 12:41 AM
I lived in my DH's shorts and sweatpants with the elastic/drawstring waists. They may not have been a fashion sucess, but they were comfy! (Although should I mention I had already raided DH's closet during the beginning of my pregnancy too? Just when he thought he had his wardrobe back.... :) ) By 6 weeks post-pg I had lost all my weight plus some, so I was able to fit into most of my old clothes, but my weight redistributed a little as well, so some things just didn't fit quite the same anymore (and still don't ;) )

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

heva
11-10-2003, 03:45 PM
I had a minor freak-out this weekend due to the lack of wearable pants in my waredrobe and broke down and bought a bunch of stuff at Target yesterday, all from the Liz Lange line. While it felt a bit weird buying maternity clothes post-partum, it was less weird than buying HUGE sizes of regular clothes that fit in some places, but not others, KWIM?

Also, picked up the Wacoal nursing bra at Nordstrom - I LOVE IT!! Thanks, Shannon (sntm) for once again steering me right!

lmariana
11-12-2003, 11:54 AM
Don't you think they should have a "Post-Partum" section in maternity stores? Oh well...

After Gabriel was born I was 10 pounds UNDER my pre-pregnancy weight, but I still was a mile away from fitting in any of my pre-preg clothes because all the weight redistributed itself in unsightly places. I found comfort in a couple of knit pants from Target. I also found a loose-fitting, elastic waisted, drawstring skirt that I could wear with a t-shirt and cardigan for a "nicer" look.

I really enjoyed having one "nice" outfit that I felt confident in. I just ignored sizes all together and found one outfit that made me feel like my old self again. It was great to have something without elastic in it for when hubby and I went out to dinner.

It's been almost 3 mo. now, and I'm still not back in my old clothes, but I'm getting closer everyday! Just remember, this too shall pass!

Best wishes!
Mariana
Mother of Gabe, 13 weeks old

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/1276.jpg