PDA

View Full Version : TMI: Spicy foods and Poop

megulis
11-07-2003, 10:02 AM
I bf and was wondering if I should be staying away from eating a lot of spicy foods. I am a Korean American, and I guess I am specifically talking about kimchi. My grandmother warned me not to eat too much at once. Well, last night I think I might've over did it. He has black strings in his poop. I know this is tmi, but is this what happens? What else happens? Can he be more irritated? Any comments?

miki
11-07-2003, 11:50 AM
I think it depends on your baby. When I eat spicy foods, I don't notice any difference in my girl's gassiness or poop. But my sister-in-law who is Korean cut out all sorts of foods.

And I don't know whether what your grandmother is telling you is based on experience or tradition. My family is Chinese and traditionally there are all sorts of things you are not supposed to consume postpartum--like cold water!

sntm
11-07-2003, 12:12 PM
there might be something specific about kimchi, but i eat a lot of spicy foods (cajun-spicy, indian-hot-curry-spicy, thai-spicy, garlic-spicy) and jack doesn't seem to be bothered by it. maybe a little stinkier some times...

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

megulis
11-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Why cold water???

miki
11-07-2003, 07:24 PM
For the Chinese who believe it, it's because your body is a certain way after you give birth and the cold water would throw it out of balance. There's a whole regimen you are supposed to follow for a month after you give birth. My cousin's wife told me it's the second week that involves not drinking any water at all, not even your food is made with water. You can eat fruit but only certain kinds. I think it's hooey.

jd11365
11-07-2003, 09:18 PM
I eat kimchi everyday...I love it and it's a fat free, satisfying snack...granted it's not the real stuff...it's the stuff in a jar, but nonetheless... I eat anything and everything...spicy chicken wings, peanut butter, etc. and Kayla isn't bothered... Now that doesn't mean that's the same for everyone, but I don't think his poop would be effected by your diet.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

hellokitty1
11-07-2003, 11:52 PM
If anybody wants the lowdown on the Chinese tradition post-birth for one month, just let me know. I had to follow it...easier to follow than argue with Mom. Some were not a big deal, others seem lame. Here are some of the beliefs...

- Stay warm at all times, which means wearing pants and long sleeves. Allowing yourself to get cold results in arthritis and such in your old age.

- Off-limit foods such as garlic, Chinese chives, "cold" foods (not literally temperature cold but more like those foods characterized as cold rather than warm, e.g. watermelon is considered a cold fruit; can't explain it very well): reduces milk supply

- Cook foods with lots of ginger and rice wine

- Drink an extremely nasty ginger medicine daily

- No washing of hair for a month: the pores on your scalp are open so washing your hair results in cold air going to your head (see number 1). Mom said I could wash after week. Clearly my head was nappy after a week.

megulis
11-08-2003, 08:17 AM
This post has turned more interesting than I thought it would. Viv, it is interesting the traditional things you had to do. My mom was real concerned about body temperature for me also. She kept on insisting I wear sleepers. I didn't. Hmm...

No water at all, eh?

miki
11-08-2003, 02:28 PM
Vivian,

You're a good sport. My mom lives on the opposite coast or I'm sure I'd have heard more about it and been made to do some of it. As it is, when the parents came to visit, my dad cooked up a few batches of chicken soup with extra herbal ingredients that are supposed to do good things for you. Then when they went home, my mom complained to my sister-in-law that, among other things, I was wearing shorts (even though it was hot here and we don't have AC).

hellokitty1
11-08-2003, 09:20 PM
Water was never an issue; just cold water or water with ice. Mom cringed whenever I used ice cubes. And I love ice in my drink.

Edited to add that even though I didn't buy into it all, I still tried to meet my mother's requests because she really was a lifesaver with the new baby. She pretty much did everything around my house for the first six weeks. I didn't cook or wash a single dish and she always let hubby and I eat dinner together in peace and quiet while she would try to calm the crying baby down. She even helped with middle of the night wakings.

megulis
11-09-2003, 12:00 AM
You and your mom must be close. My mother offered, but I am not close to my mom. She always seemed to know what buttons to push. She is even a maternity nurse, but she is more intervention, and I am more try to go the natural root. Funny the clash between philosophies.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-09-2003, 11:36 AM
Vivian, I just wanted to say that it is really sweet of you to go along with what your mom wanted, even though you don't believe in it.

That type of honoring our elders is seldom seen these days. Kudos to you, and your mom. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03