PDA

View Full Version : Does the leaking ever end?

miki
11-07-2003, 12:27 PM
I'm not a gushing fountain or anything but I'm just wondering whether the random bits of leaking end at some point so you don't need to use pads in your bra.

COElizabeth
11-07-2003, 12:40 PM
It did eventually end for me, but it took a few months. Very occasionally I still leak a little in the morning on the side opposite the one being nursed on, but I think that's just because it's been such a long time since it was emptied (I just recently stopped nursing at night, so that's probably a factor, too). I haven't worn pads during the day in many months.

My sister had leaking the whole 9 months she nursed her daughter, but I think that's more unusual.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

sadie427
11-07-2003, 01:57 PM
I stopped leaking totally at 6-8 weeks, but two friends with babies around the same age still leak at 3-4 months. I think it depends a lot. However, their babies both sleep thru the night (lucky them) and mine doesn't, so perhaps they just have more milk built up. I was happy to still have a stock of nursing pads when I got thrush and was using Nystatin cream though. I wouldn't buy tons of nursing pads in advance, till you know.

votre_ami03
11-07-2003, 02:15 PM
Nolan is 16 weeks & I still leak. Usually during let down, although sometimes it can be quite a bit.

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

vpalmer
11-07-2003, 02:30 PM
My dd is almost 5 months old and I still have to wear pads day and night. Every once in a while I get brave a go without and I always pay the consequences! From what I have read on this board though I think I am probably the exception rather than the rule.

Good Luck!
Veronica
Mom to Eva 6-12-013

kaitlinsmommy
11-07-2003, 03:11 PM
I still wear pads sometimes at 11 months! I think leaking is less if your child eats about the same every day. I don't wear pads during the day anymore but sometimes still need them at night. She still wakes to nurse sometimes at night and the nights she doesn't - milk everywhere. After soaking my t-shirts & sheets, I decided to still use pads.

Jen in Chicago
11-07-2003, 03:44 PM
I have been nursing for 5 months now and I can't go without pads. I pretty much have been wearing a nursing bra 24/7, and when I don't I have paid for it.

Even at work I wear them b/c I can get fully at different times and when I am full I leak.

Starting to think about weanning some. Have reduced my number of pumping sessions so I leak everyday at some point.

I think I let down fast b/c at night when I hear him cry I start to flow b4 I get to him.

megulis
11-07-2003, 05:30 PM
Have you guys tried LilyPadz or Blis? I wear nursing pads at home because they are more comfortable, but I use Blis when I am out. It prevents leakage, and it doesn't show through like pads do.

HTH.

lizajane
11-07-2003, 06:30 PM
i didn't leak after a few weeks. i hardly wore pads at all. by the time i healed enough and could wear a shirt, the leaking stopped.

houseof3boys
11-07-2003, 11:39 PM
I never thought it would stop for me since I used to leak alot, but at about 3.5 months it did! Only once in a while while he is nursing on one side will I leak from the other side.

nwaddellr
11-08-2003, 11:08 AM
It sounds like at some point, you stop leaking from the opposite breast while you are nursing. Am I interpreting this correctly? At almost 4 months, I would be happy not to have to wear breast pads if I go out in public, or change my T-shirt every morning after leaking through it at some point during the night. At least my boobs are no longer on a two hour clock - I swear I used to be able to tell time by them :D

jmofarrill
11-08-2003, 12:27 PM
nak
so i read this thread last night and thought hey, maybe i'm not really leaking anymore and can stop wearing pads. i just thought wearing pads was what nursing moms did. so i went to bed and nursed anwyn sans pads and within 2 minutes had leaked all over my bra on the non-nursing side and had soaked the bed on the nursing side (i usually put the pads under my breast when she nurses). i put the pads back on right away - I guess it isn't over for me yet!

Janet S.
11-09-2003, 09:46 AM
My babe is just over 5 months. She's started eating solids plus I supplement. You'd think my supply would go down, especially since I'm no longer taking fenugreek, but I still leak. It doesn't take much--hearing her cry or a nice bear hug from dh--and my clothes are done for. Heck, I've even leaked when the seatbelt pressed a little too hard in the wrong place. I've just accepted the fact that as long as she's nursing, even a little, I'm going to have to wear pads. Thankfully, it's getting colder outside so all the layering hides the pads.

Janet