PDA

View Full Version : Ack! I need chocolate!

todzwife
11-08-2003, 07:40 PM
I have been afraid to eat chocolate and spicy foods and tomato stuff and various other things because I am afraid that it will give DS a tummy ache. My brother just came home from a church mission in Switzerland and brought TONS of swiss chocolate with him, Although I managed to swipe 3 bars, I am afraid to eat it! I haven't had any chocolate since DS was born (except 1/2 a brownie)and last night I had a dream I was eating chocolate...I think I am going nuts. How much does it take to irritate a tiny tummy? Should I just wait? :( I don't know if the brownie affected him at all, he's just unpredictable right now. What "signs" would I look for? An extra grumpy kid? More gas? Thanks!

etwahl
11-08-2003, 07:42 PM
hey shandelle. well you probably remember how sensitive lauren was to any food i ate...but i did find one chocolate i wasn't afraid to eat. it is lindt or lindor chocolate bars - dark. they are in a white package, and usually sell for around $2 or $2.50. the ingredients list no dairy or nuts, so that's why i chose that one. and it never seemed to bother lauren. hope that helps!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

todzwife
11-08-2003, 07:48 PM
It's Giandino. I don't know what's in it because the package is in German. I broke down and ate 2 squares. We will see how he does tonight.

toomanystrollers
11-08-2003, 07:51 PM
My dd here has no problem with her chocolate luvin mumma - but the healthy spinach salad I had back when she was about 8 weeks did her in. Poor baby was so gassy and miserable. I hope Dallin likes chocolate too :)

stillplayswithbarbies
11-08-2003, 07:53 PM
I've never noticed anything that I eat affect Logan. Try it and see what happens, many babies are not affected by what mom eats.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

etwahl
11-08-2003, 07:53 PM
are you off dairy? did that make a difference? otherwise, i can't see that chocolate would make him fussy really. i think you'll be okay. you remind me of me. i got so i was afraid to put ANYTHING into my mouth. it's gotten better thankfully. i've actually added wheat back in (halleluiah - sp?) and a bit of soy here and there. it's gotten much easier. still haven't added in dairy. too afraid!!!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

ethansmom
11-08-2003, 08:20 PM
In the beginning, Ethan did seem to have bad gas/colic with dairy. Then, when I joined a Lamaze mothers' group, I started pumping/bicyling his legs as part of our song time. What a difference! Gas is natural, but I guess babies don't want to let it out, and that causes them pain. As long as I work his legs, I can now eat anything I want. I'm talking drastic change....he used to just scream all day if I ate dairy.

An Indian friend laughed when I told her this...all she eats is spicy food!

todzwife
11-08-2003, 08:44 PM
I went off dairy for about a week, but I couldn't do it! He seems fine with it. I just to overdo it. I hope he like chocolate too, expecially if I just have a little bit now and then. No need to eat the whole thing!

nohomama
11-08-2003, 10:26 PM
I didn't eat chocolate for Lola's first month or so. My reason was because of the caffine, not any possible digestive problems. In addition to watching for tummy troubles I'd be on the lookout for sleep disturbances or "jittery" behavior while Dalin is awake. If you don't see any kind of adverse reaction, then I'd tell you to go ahead and indulge in moderation. Chocolate is good for the soul and the psyche and new Mamas deserve some of that kinda love.

Bethann31
11-08-2003, 10:50 PM
I have never adjusted my diet at all while breastfeeding and only minimally during pregancy and I guess I'm just really lucky, because none of my 4 children have ever had any tummy problems other than a bit of seemingly non-painful gas. Now, my 11 year old daughter's favorite food in the world is brussel sprouts (actually all 3 of my older children can devour a huge family size bag at a meal) and they all love spicy Thai and Mexican food , so don't cut out things unless you have to.

Beth
mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)

stillplayswithbarbies
11-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Here is an article about caffeine and breastfeeding:

http://www.kellymom.com/meds/caffeine.html

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

DDowning
11-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Because of the plethora of chocolate running around here do to Halloween, I over did it and ate too much. DS had a skin reaction and it looked like I burned him on his cheeks. The helpful girls here actually pointed out that it was likely all the excess chocolate that did it. I think if you have a piece here or there, its not an issue but I ate way to much and it did him in. Its just now getting better after 2 weeks.

heva
11-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Just chiming in to say that I haven't noticed that any particular foods affect DS adversely yet. But onions make his poo particularly stinky!

Xariklia
11-11-2003, 08:01 PM
I eat everything, including chocolate and spicy foods. I don't notice any effect on dd, maybe just a stinky poop. She is very gassy in general, but it doesn't bother her. Our lactation consultant said that you can eat whatever you want and that all those foods that they say will make your baby gassy or fussy don't. I guess you can just try and see what happens. Good luck!!